If you had to replace your crossbow...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: If you had to replace your crossbow...

Post by longbow joe »

Probably l would look for a leftover bulldog 330 if l had to pick a newer bow.

Not impressed with the newer bows and micro limbs not being a downer the matrix line was as small as l want to go.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Welcome to the forum if I could only pick one bow I’d also go with the Mag 340 aka Axe 340 or the 330 Bulldog. You may want to check with Wyvern Creations or Horizontal Archery Danny Miller here in Ohio if your in the US they will customize your bow for you and they are great to work with. I’m personally a fan of the takedown models so I’d go with the 340 TD with the Tac 100 scope and the SDS. I would recommend going to your local dealer and shooting a couple of the models your interested in before you buy though.
Good luck in your search.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

For me it would be a older traditional stock bow . I still like the idea of not coming out of position to take the safety off . But if I couldn`t find a exomax then a Micro . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

The warranty goes along with the Excalibur product... it doesn’t matter how many people have owned it.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

When it comes right down to it nobody can choose the best bow for you except you, the majority of the time all models will shoot more accurately than the shooter which leaves it up to personal preference ie: looks, feel and draw weight. As stated previously the best thing would be for you to go to a local vendor and try some out. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
L.C.B.H

Post by L.C.B.H »

I purchased 2 kryptek raid mag 340's and a mag 340,then added the package to make it identical to the raids in October.I gave one of the raids as a gift and I want a 3rd micro so I would either buy another raid, or do what I am doing and waiting to see the 2021's and then buy a similar micro package a I already have.

I don't care about the fps as I have been shooting a compound for almost 30 years,I just like the small compact crossbows for hunting,all my shots are going to be 40 yards and in, and I am always going to shoot a fairly stout arrow setup.

I always found most want the fastest crossbows when selling them for years and years...speed sells....
Libtards make me sick, and I don't take orders from a forum rat who needs to go to a safe place. Get used to Conservative Right wing hard working Canadians telling you liberals to F off!!!!! :wave:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

In an Excalibur it would be the micro 335 nightmare!

I have had my micro 335 nightmare for a while now and no intentions of intentionally parting with it.. lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:40 pm
Boo wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:47 pm
Welcome to the forum! While the Axe or Mag bows are a fantastic deal, my choice would be the 355 Suppressor. I’m actually toying with purchasing one myself.
That was actually my choice too, but I wasn't sure if it was still in the current catalog.
Took a couple of deer this season with mine!! I really like MY Micro 355 Suppressor!! :mrgreen:
And Chris...I see them for sale, but the people who have them for sale like them too!!! :wtf: :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Watch the classifieds over at crossbowtalk.com for some real deals on used excaliburs.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
First thing you should consider is your ability, you need a bow that is right for you,
physical ability should be thought about,
how strong are you, what is your arm length,
a bow too short for you can be a bugger to shoulder quickly,
do you intend to carry your bow long, or short distance with a lot of gear,

remember you used to shoot a bow slower than some of these new crossbows,
we used to shoot recurves that were very slow to say the least,
so don't concentrate on speed alone,
go to a dealer ( if you can ) and shoot several models and decide for yourself,
everybody has their favorites,
YOU have to decide for yourself,
Good luck with your decision.....
there is a lot of members on this forum with a huge amount of knowledge that are willing to help just ask.
:eusa-popcorn:

Dave :eh:
Last edited by papabear1 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Boo

Post by Boo »

Expect to be denied warranties because it is to the original purchaser. But if they don't ask, don't tell them. There is no serial number and they will not ask for a receipt. They aren't looking to deny you warranty like most companies.
There are only 2 things that go wrong that is note worthy. Scopes have been but never for me because I've never used a factory scope. Limbs is the only other warranty issue and not everyone has had limb issues. Other than a problem that I created in a 315 Micro, I have never had a limb problem. Replacement limbs for the Micro and the Matrix are pretty reliable. If you had to pay for them they are $100 and easily replaced by yourself.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:13 am
janesy wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:40 pm
Boo wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:47 pm
Welcome to the forum! While the Axe or Mag bows are a fantastic deal, my choice would be the 355 Suppressor. I’m actually toying with purchasing one myself.
That was actually my choice too, but I wasn't sure if it was still in the current catalog.
Took a couple of deer this season with mine!! I really like MY Micro 355 Suppressor!! :mrgreen:
And Chris...I see them for sale, but the people who have them for sale like them too!!! :wtf: :lol: :lol:
You could get crazy deals from places like BP last spring after the discontinued the Realtree Suppressor 355. I think they are still offering the Strata model. Or at least they were
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I would go with the Micro 335. I have had my nightmare since the very first manufacturing run and it has been great. It replaced my Vortex. Same ballistics, but a much smaller size that just fits everywhere better.

I also have a custom 355 "Suppressor" (it's also black and didn't come with all the bow slowing features of a supressor...as I wanted), and honestly, I'm ready to sell it. It works perfectly fine, but the bull pup stock is not to my liking. When sitting in the stand with the bow (usually on the ground), the safety is a looong way away from the trigger and that means movement. Also, I find carrying it ....just a bit odd. The pistol grip is a little further down the stock so the bow is in a bit closer, making the quiver be closer etc. I find myself carrying it in my right hand with the butt stock sort of wrapped around my waist (it has a big cutout) and the limbs vertical. It ends up being a lot of pressure on my elbow. With air brakes on it, it's a bit front end heavy. It came with the 3 arrow quiver, which attaches/detaches by twisting it into the bracket. Mounted on the right side of the bow, I cannot take my quiver off when the bow is cocked, so it has to be on the left side...which I don't like. So for a lot of little reasons...I'll likely be selling the Suppressor soon.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Dominic

Post by Dominic »

I am a target shooter only, so i have no experience with hunting. But i shoot a lot, 100+ arrows in a week. I have owned the Micro 355 and had four limb issues with it and i shot it allways with a 425 grain minimum.
I have owned four excaliburs. The BD 330 has the best performance for me, best to shoulder and nice to cock. Even with the limbs of a 440.
My next favorit is the Short. Easy to cock too! Super compact and plenty enough power. I shoot it till 110yards, targets only.
Micro Bulldog 335
Micro 308 Short
BD 330
Woodstock 342 (Matrix)
Matrix 355 with 310 Riser
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:09 am
I would go with the Micro 335. I have had my nightmare since the very first manufacturing run and it has been great. It replaced my Vortex. Same ballistics, but a much smaller size that just fits everywhere better.

I also have a custom 355 "Suppressor" (it's also black and didn't come with all the bow slowing features of a supressor...as I wanted), and honestly, I'm ready to sell it. It works perfectly fine, but the bull pup stock is not to my liking. When sitting in the stand with the bow (usually on the ground), the safety is a looong way away from the trigger and that means movement. Also, I find carrying it ....just a bit odd. The pistol grip is a little further down the stock so the bow is in a bit closer, making the quiver be closer etc. I find myself carrying it in my right hand with the butt stock sort of wrapped around my waist (it has a big cutout) and the limbs vertical. It ends up being a lot of pressure on my elbow. With air brakes on it, it's a bit front end heavy. It came with the 3 arrow quiver, which attaches/detaches by twisting it into the bracket. Mounted on the right side of the bow, I cannot take my quiver off when the bow is cocked, so it has to be on the left side...which I don't like. So for a lot of little reasons...I'll likely be selling the Suppressor soon.
Keith you are absolutely right about the quiver, but I don't keep my quiver on my bow, therefore, it's not in my way. Mine is carried vertical in my pack with the Lumenoks pointed up. I find this set-up convenient and easily accessible and never in my way. On my trek to and from the stand, I carry mine on a single point sling like I'd carry my AR pistol or SBR. I find this the most effective way to carry mine. It has a QD swivel on the stock and a claw on the sling, snaps on and off in a second. I carried a weapon this way most of my adult life and find it just works for me. Old habits are hard to break!! :lol:
I know every one has different taste. And everyone who has hunted long enough whether with a vertical bow, crossbow or rifle has come up with little gimmicks that work for them. Thankfully we have this forum to discuss ideas and our likes and dislikes, and usually no one gets offended...usually! :lol:

Just the rambling thoughts of an Old East Texas Redneck, Deep in the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!! :mrgreen:
Y'all be careful out there!! :wink:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!