flightattendant100

Re: Need help for daughter.

Post by flightattendant100 »

janesy wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:22 am
flightattendant100 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:49 pm
]
I love my 7/08. I also have a little experience with lighter than normal loads. Colton is tiny and was even tinier when he started hunting. I have found that about 90% loads will do about anything full loads will and that 10% cuts recoil snd noise quite a bit. I have used IMR powders and 4895 and 4064 both work great for this purpose.. Truely reduced loads can be a bit dicey. Make sure everything comes out of a manual. Have fun!
Good to hear your experience. I edited my post to remove the 60% loads, I always catch myself calling it that. That's bad lingo to use on my part...is it 60% or reduced by 60%? People will try anyting

Anyhow, 90% was pretty close to my plan. Based on Hodgdon info I was planning on taking the starting load and reducing it by the Max-minus-Start spread, and then that again. 5.5 Grains total reduction from 40.5 which would be about 88.5% of max load.
Then work back up to Start load to see if there is a node it there it likes.
Most of the calibers I have gone this with, shot their top loads with slow burning powders.( IMR 4831 or IMR4350) First thing I do is drop to 4895 or 4064. This gives you a drop to start and they aren’t quite so slow burning. Then I start with beginning load in the manual for that powder. It is easy to shoot 2700fps instead of 3000 fps. That 10% helps much in terms of recoil snd blast.
Also make sure that the shooter has good glasses and muffs. Taking blast and noise away helps a new shooter much. Make sure!!!! A small kid or a small lady, if you put normal size shooting glasses on them, the glasses can keep the hearing muffs from sealing. This defeats the purpose. They sell smaller glasses and they are well worth the few dollars they cost to keep a smaller shooter comfortable.
Best thing I did w Colton shooting was to get an AR carbine. Stock adjusts easily for small stature and there is about ZIP recoil. Once he go used to that, moving to a larger caliber wasn’t a big deal. He went to a 243 then to a 7-08 like nothing to it!
The good ol’ days!😊
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

No matter the caliper you use, i have one suggestion.

Most beginners will flintch for one reason or another.

Make a dud round. It will let you know how bad a flintch they may have and will help to stop it ! Accuracy will greatly improve.

Always practice shooting a 3 round group. They never know which round is live . By focusing on breathing and squessing off the shot. 9 times out of 10 its a bullseye.

Sometimes I load all 3 live.

My wife always shot my 308 and we went with a low recoil round. It might be harder to find now

Get the best scope you can afford. To me , thats just if not more important !
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

elkaholic wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:10 pm
No matter the caliper you use, i have one suggestion.

Most beginners will flintch for one reason or another.

Make a dud round. It will let you know how bad a flintch they may have and will help to stop it ! Accuracy will greatly improve.

Always practice shooting a 3 round group. They never know which round is live . By focusing on breathing and squessing off the shot. 9 times out of 10 its a bullseye.

Sometimes I load all 3 live.

My wife always shot my 308 and we went with a low recoil round. It might be harder to find now

Get the best scope you can afford. To me , thats just if not more important !

Excellent point!! Inert rounds do serve a purpose. Overcoming recoil related flinching can be a tough cookie to beat once it becomes ingrained in a shooter. The inert rounds go a long way in fitting this problem. :eusa-think:

And as for the glass (scope). Truer words have hardly ever been spoken. I can take a $300 rifle and with a little TLC and a GREAT scope I can have it shooting like a $1200 rifle in no time. However, I CANNOT take a $1200 rifle with a POS Scope on it and make it work. You should spend more on the glass than you do the rifle.
A lot of manufacturers these days offer "package deals" on rifle/scope combos. Most of the time the scope is a POS foreign made (china) hunk of junk. :thumbdown:
Spend the money on the glass!!! And a GOOD set of rings!!! :thumbup:

Just the rambling thoughts of an East Texas Hillbilly located DEEP in the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!!
AJ :mrgreen:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
ko4nrbs

Re: Need help for daughter.(UPDATE)

Post by ko4nrbs »

Update:
She bought a Smith&Wesson M&P Shield EZ 9mm and a pump 20 gauge shotgun. She has taken several shooting classes with the last one being an intense tactical class. Shoots better than me nowhere!! She has taken this very serious and is getting her Conceal Carry.

Recently relocated to Bentonville, Arkansas. She works in the WalMart corporate office.

Looking at crossbows and 243 caliber rifles now.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
DuckHunt

Re: Need help for daughter. UPDATED

Post by DuckHunt »

A .243 is an excellent deer rifle with lower recoil. My grown daughter shoots a Remington .700 youth model bolt action in .308. The caliber matters, but getting a rifle that fits I think matters more.

My only experience with managed-recoil shells wasn't a good one. When my son was 11 he was using the .308 my daughter had now with managed recoil shells. While sitting with me, he shot and hit two small bucks on the opening day of gun season and we never recovered either of them. One he dropped, and it eventually got up and ran off. We tracked both with blood running out quickly and neither were found.

Fast forward 30 minutes and a doe ran up on us. I told him to shoot and he said, you shoot it. He was done. I shot it with my .30-06 and it folded up like a cheap lawn chair. At this point, his confidence in his gun and shell selection was zero. When we got to the doe, I told him to have a seat on an adjacent log and keep watch while I field dressed it because it was still mid-morning of opening day. He said, can I use your gun? Knowing a .30-06 in a full sized Remington 700 might not fit him well, I relented and said yes. When I had the doe about half open, I heard him say "Deer!". Two doe came up on us and were stopped about 50 yards out facing us. As I was getting ready to tell him to hold for a better shot, BANG! He shot free handed and missed. Both deer took a hard right and took off running. For some crazy reason, one stopped in an old logging trail not 35 yards away broad side. BANG! He had chambered another round and was ready. This time he drilled her right behind the shoulder. It took off running getting lower to the ground with each step. Knowing how bad of a morning he had, I told him 'Shoot it again!', and he did. While his aim may have been perfect, I have to take responsibility for the shot landing about 12" back since it I told him to shoot at a moving deer. We both refer to that doe as the "Chili deer" because that's what it looked like when we cut her open. :lol:

From that point forward he has hunted with a full sized Remington 700 chambered in .30-06.

Managed-recoil shells may be great for practice, but carry the real deal when you're ready to harvest something.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
brianpa

Post by brianpa »

I was a small skinny kid when I started hunting 4' something under 100Lbs. and my first rifle was a 94 Winchester 30-30 . Recoil is not a problem. And now I have a original Grizzly and a Axe (Mag 340) and I have the crank for it but only use it when target shooting. I can pull it back a few times without it but it gets a littles strenuous after awhile.
Good Luck.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:07 pm

I am still in shock she wants to hunt and she assured me she is serious.

Bill
Not to be negative and I certainly don’t know your daughter or you but before you buy take her out hunting a couple of times try to find a gun or xbow loaner, this will give you an idea if she’s really serious. I know I went the same route with my daughter she went and got her firearms permit passed all hunting tests bought her a new rifle and shotgun and she practiced shooting, she was pretty good. Went out for her first hunt, spring turkey then after the first day she says to me she doesn't want to hunt or shoot anymore! It isn’t what she expected, huh what did you expect I said to myself. Anyway long story short before you invest be sure she likes it.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers