Which XBow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

exocet200hunter

Which XBow?

Post by exocet200hunter »

Hey everyone,

So, I'm kinda stuck between 2 bows here. I have owned lots of Excals and could never find one that fit ' just right ' until I shouldered the 308short and i must say it was perfect.
Now with that being said a couple of things to look at here :
1) i currently have no land to hunt at this time
2) Do I spend a grand and not use it
3) I have the opportunity to buy back my Alum rail Ibex at a way lower cost fully set up
Thing is I know if I do find new land then I'm really gonna want the 308 short. Or do I spend 1/4 of the cost and get my old Ibex back?

What would you do?
Normous

Re: Which XBow?

Post by Normous »

The way I see it, is buy the bow you want to carry and spent early summer looking for private property in your area. I hunt halfway between Chatham and London and in my experience its not too difficult to obtain permission in that area if one presents himself as a polite and respectable archery deer hunter.

Second, place an add in our trading post looking for a good used 308 Short and save some cash , and lastly , look into some of the Municipal woodlots in Mosa Township such as the Skunks Misery for example.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

308 Short, new or used. I’m going to say that I think quite a few are backup bows and may be let go for substantially less than new. If it fits you just right, go for it!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

308 are just a dream. Only reason I sold mine was the stock wasn't a bulldog setup. Otherwise they are a hidden gem in the line up
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

Hey Matt. Pm sent

Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

I don't have any experience owning a crossbow, but I've been researching them. I noticed Cabela's had the 308 on sale for $525. Since MSRP price is $850, that seemed like a good price to me? Sadly, they are also listed as "out of stock".

Cabela's has been annoying that way. They list these great sales for items they no longer have in stock. This goes beyond crossbows. My brother & I have both noticed this more lately.
ODH

Post by ODH »

I hunted with my 308 short this past season. It is a joy to carry in the woods & have in the stand. I shot 3 arrows that resulted in 3 deer taken. Complete pass thru's on all 3 with the arrow being buried a foot in the ground after. It is all the bow you need, Use heavy arrows & a fixed cut on contact BH and you will have success!
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

Which type/grain of broadheads were giving you great results on three deer this past fall?
ODH

Post by ODH »

I was shooting 20" zombie slayers with the 110 gr. brass insert with a 125 gr. head for a total weight of 450 gr. I shot one with a 125gr. Cutthroat 2 blade single bevel & that deer only traveled 35 yds. after being hit, another was with a G5 stryker II that was down at 50 yds, the third was with an old school wensel woodsman that fell in sight. I stay away from expandables because of too much energy loss to open them and I like broadheads that I sharpen myself as I can get them sharper than anything that comes straight out of a box.