Line Replacement-- Charger/C2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Line Replacement-- Charger/C2

Post by Hi5 »

It would seem that either Kevlar or Dyneema would be the answer. What's the preferred choice? Is there a better choice? What should the minimum breakage strength be? Is there a preferred diameter? Is there a preferred brand? A preferred supplier?

I consider this to be pretty serious stuff. A substandard product could result in a line failure and a disaster.

Looking at Amazon and eBay suppliers is pretty unsettling. Break strength ratings are possibly about as unreliable as flashlight intensity ratings or battery capacity ratings...or any other ratings where even the sky isn't the limit.

Dang. I wish life was more simple.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
xcaliber

Re: Line Replacement-- Charger/C2

Post by xcaliber »

Is the string from the factory woven Amsteel? I don't have access to mine right now, but I seem to remember it is sort of flat, and appears to be weaved. I have not been into the guts of one yet, will follow this one along.
:eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

From my friend, Google....

What is amsteel?
AmSteel is a non-rotational, Samthane coated, 12-strand single braid that yields high strength and low stretch; equivalent to wire rope with 1/7th the weight. In addition , the product is flexible, and resists flex-fatigue and abrasion.

Is Dyneema the same as amsteel?
They are not the same thing but are often confused. As an example, the average strength of 1/4” Amsteel is 7400 pounds, while Amsteel Blue is 8600 pounds. Samson's Amsteel is made from Dyneema SK60. Amsteel Blue is made from Dyneema SK75
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Hi5 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:02 pm
It would seem that either Kevlar or Dyneema would be the answer. What's the preferred choice? Is there a better choice? What should the minimum breakage strength be? Is there a preferred diameter? Is there a preferred brand? A preferred supplier?

I consider this to be pretty serious stuff. A substandard product could result in a line failure and a disaster.

Looking at Amazon and eBay suppliers is pretty unsettling. Break strength ratings are possibly about as unreliable as flashlight intensity ratings or battery capacity ratings...or any other ratings where even the sky isn't the limit.

Dang. I wish life was more simple.
This is what you want: https://www.lancasterarchery.com/bcy-crossbow-cocking-cord-20ft-spool.html

https://www.amazon.com/BCY-Cocking-Spool-Planned-Crossbow/dp/B00WE2MZKA

Scroll to the bottom, you'll see it's 750lb test Spectra. Since our Excaliburs use 4 pulls of it coming up from the hooks, we're more than safe even with a 350lb draw: http://www.bcyfibers.com/Crossbow.php

https://youtu.be/P1Lfy8R2N4M
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Also from friend Google

The use of Kevlar, a registered trademark of DuPont, has made body armor lighter and easier to work with, but flexibility has still been a problem. However today a new material called SPECTRA has been released on the market and SPECTRA is more flexible, lighter and stronger than KEVLAR.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Hi5 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:40 pm
Also from friend Google

The use of Kevlar, a registered trademark of DuPont, has made body armor lighter and easier to work with, but flexibility has still been a problem. However today a new material called SPECTRA has been released on the market and SPECTRA is more flexible, lighter and stronger than KEVLAR.
That's all great info, but don't overthink it. BCY did all the homework for you. Just give them your $$.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360