Any new plans for 2021

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: Any new plans for 2021

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:37 am
major habitat improvements. logging going on now on my entire 80 acres. come spring will be planting pine and hinge cutting for a 3-5 acre bedding area, had dozer work done last week for another 1/2 acre foodplot, installing a water hole using heavy duty pit liner that is used in oil/gas field pits, and possibly addition blinds on property as well so i can move around to different locations so deer cannot pattern me and my atv.. wont be enough time this spring/summer..... :shock: :lol:
Hinge cutting! great for food too! A very undervalued tool to say the least. If you know, you know!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
grouse

Post by grouse »

The best hunting land isn't usually the most expensive land around. My farm is just 6 miles from the beginning of the big prairie where farms sell for $6-8 thousand an acre. There are rolling hills and creeks where my farm is and still lots of crop fields. Consequently there is better habitat and more deer and turkeys. Land around my farm sells in the $4-5 thousand an acre range. Our crop yields are a little lower per acre than the prairie farms, but they are still pretty good. The crop profits are a nice bonus every year.

There are state and federal programs to improve forest quality. I participated in the federal program and paid someone else to do the work then was reimbursed about 90% by the govt. (thank you everyone). The program is designed to improve wildlife habitat and enhance conditions for more valuable timber (mostly walnut and white oak).

My farm is 87 acres with 48 acres of forest and the balance is crop fields and edge. I have three deer stands so I can move around when I think I should. As others have said, you won't regret buying land if you can afford it. Prices do go up and down a little from time to time, but in nearly any given 10 year period, they will go up. Choose a place carefully and it adds a really good thing to your life.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

This right-of-way for a rural electric company was just cleared this week on one of my properties. I'm glad they waited until after deer season.

In East Texas this is one of many things if you own property that you have to expect from time to time. I've got another place that a pipeline company has been working on since November 2020. I was told recently they would be off the property in May of 2021.
They have increased the width of the right-of-way on that parcel to 120 feet. Cleared a bunch of underbrush and removed some extra trees I ask them too. As soon as they finish I'll plant 2 types of clover. chicory and peas.

Keeping the right-of-ways cleared of trees and underbrush helps create corridors the deer will use to travel. And it also facilitates in making food plots. Not to mention creating shooting lanes.

We MUST be good stewards of what we have been given!! :thumbup:

AJ
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

AJ, that is a great thing to do. The field across from my house is mostly grass, but there is a lot of clover and other low growing edibles that the deer love. As soon as the snow clears the field the deer hit it. You can set your watch for it!

If you build it they will come! Seems I heard that somewhere! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:34 am
AJ, that is a great thing to do. The field across from my house is mostly grass, but there is a lot of clover and other low growing edibles that the deer love. As soon as the snow clears the field the deer hit it. You can set your watch for it!

If you build it they will come! Seems I heard that somewhere! :lol: :lol:
It do sound familiar!! :lol: :think: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!