Are the Matrix Series bows lighter?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Are the Matrix Series bows lighter?

Post by DanO »

Hi folks. I'm still using an Exocet 200. At the age of 68 I'm finding it pretty heavy and awkward. I'd love to shoulder some of the newer bows but with Covid lockdowns and travel restrictions that's not likely to happen.

I'm just wondering if the Martrix series bows are appreciably lighter? I realize the Micro series are much more compact but with all the limb failures I'm leary of that series.

I'm sure some of you moved from the original bows to the newer bows so I'm just wondering if you noticed a significant weight difference? I know it also depends on the accessories attached to the bow.
Tx for any feedback.
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
bigbowman

Re: Are the Matrix Series bows lighter?

Post by bigbowman »

I love the old Exo bows but love the Micro bows even more! With all of the Micros that I've had, only one set of limbs cracked. They are a solid bow now. Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

It's all relative and depends on what one is used to. Weight and balance wise they don't feel that much different. It's more the difference in size that I notice more.
Until the Matrix bows were introduced the Exo-series didn't seem too unwieldly. It was only when I bought my first Matrix that I noticed that the Exo-series were not as maneuverable. However although the Matrix is more compact, I found it took me awhile before I could shoot it as accurate as I could my Exo-series models.
Later when I bought a Micro, I felt that even the Matrix didn't seem that small. I currently own all three models and love them all for what they are. They are all "nail-drivers", but I find that I can hold the Exocet 200 steadier, and therefore I am a tad more accurate with it.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I still have my Exocet and Exomax. I bought a used Micro 355, and last year I bought the Suppressor 400. I haven't sold any bows yet, but sometime maybe I will.

If you haven't shouldered a bow which has the Micro configuration, don't buy any other bow till you do. The compactness and balance is outstanding. Limb failures can happen, but I bought the Micro configuration anyway. If I were really worried about limb failure, I'd just buy an extra set of limbs up front....not that I have bought any for my bows.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
janesy

Post by janesy »

You won't save a huge amount in the weight department, but the compactness and lack of leverage will certainly make it "feel" lighter as it's closer to your shoulder. Over the average model of course.

Of course it's worth mentioning though, with the smaller packages comes cocking effort. So better plan for a crank with your purchase.

If you could get your hands on one, I'd certai Ly recommend the Bulldog 330 as the best all around bow Excalibur offers. It is possibly the best balance bow they make.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
DanO

Post by DanO »

Thanks guys. I had looked up the weight stats on the various newer bows and I didn't notice a significant difference in weight. I assumed the more compact profile would change the balance and handling perhaps giving the illusion of lighter.

Interesting comment on accuracy, comfybear!

I have heard guys complain about cocking the newer models, especially if you're a rangy 5'6" individual. LOL. The cocking device would be a must for me.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

If you want an easy to cock smaller model get a Matrix 330, it will last forever and take anything you hunt with plenty of power to spare.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

DanO wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:24 am
Thanks guys. I had looked up the weight stats on the various newer bows and I didn't notice a significant difference in weight. I assumed the more compact profile would change the balance and handling perhaps giving the illusion of lighter.
Your observation is correct, the main difference between similar models is the mainframe, or rail, which is physically the lightest component difference on the bow, if you are comparing similar models
When you consider one model may only incorporate an inch or two more rail. We are talking ounces.

And since Excal bows all use the same or very similar parts across their line up, those weights don't change.

To add, yes obviously Exo series limbs would weigh more than a micro, but again we are talking ounces. Add up all of those ounces and you may find a half pound here or there. Chances are your choice of scope would have a greater effect on weight. Balance... Totally different, and very subjective to the shooter.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

I may not be the best reference, because I am still in the processing of shopping for my first crossbow.

I have noticed the Bulldog 330 @ 5.6 pounds is pretty close to the Mag 340 @ 5.5 pounds. An Exocet 200 was listed @ 6.4 pounds. I am just going by information found on line. I have zero experience with any of these crossbows. My hope is that I can compare a Bulldog 330 to a Mag 340 side-by-side, but I am not sure that will be possible.

Not knowing the Excalibur crossbows very well, I looked up an Exocet 200. Your Exocet 200 has similar stats to the Bulldog 330. Not sure any of the current crossbows are more than a pound lighter than what your currently have?

Your Exocet 200 seems like a nice crossbow!