Here Piggy Piggy!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Here Piggy Piggy!!

Post by AJ01 »

Okay,
Deer Season has been over here in East Texas for a few weeks now. :(
However, it is time to set one's sights on new things to do. Otherwise we grow to accustomed to sitting on our backsides by the fireplace checking our eyelids for pinholes!! :lol:
Time for a young man's, (or old man's for that matter), thoughts to turn to outdoor activities once again!!

Now I know some of you live in certain areas where you are still getting up and shoveling snow on a regular basis!! :eusa-naughty:
However, some of us who live , shall we say, South of the Mason/Dixon Line, are out and about...expect for the occasional Monsoon!! :wtf:

Anyway...I digress! :lol:

A company called "Wildgame Innovations" makes a product that I use as a deer attractant. Does it work? Yes! BUT...it works BETTER as a hog attractant!! The product is marketed under the name "Persimmon Crushed". It comes in a 5 pound bag, and retails for under $10.
As they say, "the proof is in the pudding"!!!

Have a look!!

This is simply sprinkled over dry corn poured in a pile. No mess, no fuss!! :thumbup:
There is just something about the aroma of the Persimmons that drives them crazy.

I bet you guys that live in areas where you have Black Bears, (and it's legal to bait), I bet this stuff would be a winner in that arena too!!
If any of you bear hunters have tried this, I'd like to know how it worked, or if it did any thing at all!!

Y'all have a GREAT time outdoors!!
And by all means, Be SAFE out there!! :wave:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Hatchet

Re: Here Piggy Piggy!!

Post by Hatchet »

I got a couple pics of a nice black bear right out in my backyard last fall. He came by twice. I am going to get me a couple bags of that stuff to dress up my bait pile. Maybe he'll like it more than donuts.
Thanks for the tip AJ
Hatchet
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hatchet wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 am
I got a couple pics of a nice black bear right out in my backyard last fall. He came by twice. I am going to get me a couple bags of that stuff to dress up my bait pile. Maybe he'll like it more than donuts.
Thanks for the tip AJ
Hatchet
Let me know how that works out for ya!!
I've been looking at a bear hunt in Arkansas. And I wanna see if this stuff works on bears as well as it does on hogs!!

Good Luck!!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Last summer I used Apple Crush to draw the deer into an old orchard we cleared. It worked great. Once the season rolled around I kept my hunting clothes in a garbage can with a few cups of Apple Crush in the bottom. I'll let you know if we have any luck with the Persimmons.
Take care
Hatchet
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

To put piles on ground, I use regular Horse and Mule feed. Has lots of molasses in it and they can smell it really well. Bait with corn but put Horse snd Mule in piles on ground. Get ready.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:09 pm
To put piles on ground, I use regular Horse and Mule feed. Has lots of molasses in it and they can smell it really well. Bait with corn but put Horse and Mule in piles on ground. Get ready.
I have indeed used "Horse & Mule" a time or two!! Seems to pull them in and it will also draw Bambi's Dad to the dinner plate. Hunted a ranch down near Gatesville that ran feeder calves. They probably had 40 creep feeders on that place. I think the deer ate more than the feeder calves. Not too mention 42 million coons!! :lol: :lol:

I also think I'm gonna put together a few "pig pipes" and see how they work!! They look pretty interesting!! And seem easy to build.
Might be one of those "stay tuned" projects!! :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That stuff worked great in a spot that I know has no hogs, and the deer loved it. Hogs will bully deer out of a feeding area if there is a large population, right??

Hog hunting with the crossbow is on my bucket list BTW! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

AJ
I have a couple pig pipes will hook up with you
before you spend the money try one of these
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Mmmmm, that looks like money well spent. There's certainly more than $10 worth of bacon in that photo. If I lived in an area like that, I'm sure I'd eventually get tired of cleaning hogs. But one will never know unless they try. :thumbup:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

kd8jgu wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:50 pm
AJ
I have a couple pig pipes will hook up with you
before you spend the money try one of these
Yes Sir....I've been gonna call ya...just been "out of pocket" lately. Just got home this morning!!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:17 pm
That stuff worked great in a spot that I know has no hogs, and the deer loved it. Hogs will bully deer out of a feeding area if there is a large population, right??

Hog hunting with the crossbow is on my bucket list BTW! 8)
Dan...most of the time pigs and deer don't make it to the feed station at the same time. And when it does occur, I have seen mature bucks run pigs off. Not saying the other doesn't occur too.
Crossbows and pigs just go together. :thumbup: You can snipe one, they'll run off, if you have a remote on your feeder, wait about 15-20 minutes, spin the feeder and they'll come back and you can snipe another if you wish. Two good pigs on a hunt means lots of work!! :lol:
Bust one with a rifle, SEE YA :shock: !!! They won't be back for a few days. :eusa-doh:

I hope ya get to make that pig hunt!!!
janesy

Post by janesy »

I've only seen one wild hog in Ontario ever. And it wasn't even a wild hog. It was invasive, released from game farms a couple decades ago now.
Still cool to see, but they are a shoot on site species up here.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:42 pm
I've only seen one wild hog in Ontario ever. And it wasn't even a wild hog. It was invasive, released from game farms a couple decades ago now.
Still cool to see, but they are a shoot on site species up here.
Chris here in Texas you don't even need a "hunting license" to hunt pigs/hogs anymore. They have actually become a nuisance/pest here. They damage crops, disturb cattle, and just down right tear stuff up.
I hunted a place in South Texas down near the Mexican Border years ago. The ranch owner told us to "kill every hog you see, and if you don't, and I find out, you will NOT hunt here again"!! I hunted that lease for 10 years. We killed lots of hogs and NEVER made a dent in the population!! :lol:

One sow can have up to 60 piglets a year. So if you only had 10 sows on your property, that's 600 NEW pigs in a year. :eusa-doh: Imagine 6000 sows, that's 360,000 piglets. Don't take long for them to be EVERYWHERE!!!! :wtf:

Pretty soon Texas will be paying folks to come hunt them!!! :lol: :lol:
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

I have several spots that have a good supply of hogs here in South Carolina... they are just so aggravating to hunt!

If you set up a feeder and finally get them coming in during daylight, you can kill a few of them... mostly small sows... then they catch on to the fact that there being hunted. Then they will continue to eat your expensive corn.... at 0300... lol... :eusa-doh:

Every year I'm tempted to get a hog set up going after turkey season... then I just say... nahhhh! I'll just stay in the air conditioning, eat Oreo ice cream, and watch Andy Griffith!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flinthead wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:35 am
I have several spots that have a good supply of hogs here in South Carolina... they are just so aggravating to hunt!

If you set up a feeder and finally get them coming in during daylight, you can kill a few of them... mostly small sows... then they catch on to the fact that there being hunted. Then they will continue to eat your expensive corn.... at 0300... lol... :eusa-doh:

Every year I'm tempted to get a hog set up going after turkey season... then I just say... nahhhh! I'll just stay in the air conditioning, eat Oreo ice cream, and watch Andy Griffith!!
Okay...put the ice cream down and back away slowly, no one has to get hurt!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get off your tail and go hunt them hogs at night!!
Elusive Wildlife makes all kinds of lights for your bow, rifle or feeders!!
They are located down here in Conroe, Texas!! About 2.5 hours south of me!! Good guys with good products!! :thumbup:

The up side to hunting them at night is...it's a slight tad cooler on the summer nights than days!!
Down side....Skeeter's are the size of small aircraft!!! :wtf:

Oh the price we pay!!!! :lol: :eusa-doh: :lol:

AJ