OT (bug out bag)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

OT (bug out bag)

Post by longbow joe »

I've always kinda thought that a lot of preppers were kind of odd possibly "wishing for things to happen "
I love guns and my brother and l go shooting our pistols every other Sunday .
I am basically hoarding bullets and primers simply because l don't want to run out.
I am also one of the least violent people around also so l always avoid making a "bug out bag" possibly because l dredded the certain desperation that it would be needed for.
The simple thought of leaving my home in a situation is just crazy and horrifying.
Anyway way this Saturday after some projects l assembled a bug ot bag with guns ammo cash etc.
Hope not to need it but during this "climate" l would rather have it than not have it.
One thing is the pandemic taught us to stock even more
Goods than we did before.
I was wondering of any input you guys had on the subject and what items you feel are important.
I'm not looking to join a preppers forum or anything not getting that deep with the thing but l looked up a few things on you tube.
Also your simple feelings on the subject.
Last edited by longbow joe on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Re: OT (bug out bag)

Post by nchunterkw »

I haven't really thought about that...until now..

But in this new climate, I am carrying everywhere. Even on a walk around my neighborhood. I also got some magnets for my truck so my pistol is readily accessible on the dash just under my ignition.

Now you got me thinking...
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
grouse

Post by grouse »

I live in the suburbs of a large city and I have a locker full of guns, including a handgun with a holster. All of my firearms remain unloaded and in the locker. If I felt any realistic threat I would take the plug out of an Ithaca pump that I have then load it up with 5 rounds and keep it handy. I am nowhere close to doing that.

There seems to be some irrational fear out there that I have seen before. Although I have plenty of lead based ammo, I decided that I wanted to try copper bullets to hunt deer during our firearms season. After going to both Academy Sports and Bass Pro only to find empty shelves, I gave up. It's happening again, paranoid people are hoarding ammunition. Bullet and shotgun shell manufacturers and firearms makers love this kind of craziness. This will pass and we'll have a few years of peace, then it will happen again.
axiom
350 SE
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Just curious....what makes you think we will have a few years of peace?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Being "one of the crazy people" sometimes has it's advantages. :lol:

First and foremost...YOU NEED A PLAN!!! :eusa-think: And part of that plan should be a "RALLY POINT". :thumbup:

I've kept an LC-1 Alice pack loaded for years...just in case. I have trimmed it down over the years since the kids have all moved off.
Not really!! :wink:

Basic first aid equipment. Stuff to take care of small cuts and scrapes and simple meds to take care of headaches and upset tummies!! :lol:
Then, there is the REAL 1st Aid/Trauma equipment. Thanks GOD my "Uncle" paid for me to attend "Combat Medic School". If I can't fix it, you need a hospital!! :wink:

MRE's, fire starters, extra clothing, wet weather gear, flashlight with extra batteries, windproof and waterproof matches and candles. Battery operated radio. Communications. (And I ain't talking cell phones). Extra ammo and extra firearms. An "E" Tool, hatchet and small folding saw. Lots of Paracord. And a small tarp. Now you're just getting started!!! :lol: :wtf: :lol:

As you can plainly see...the list goes on and on... :wink:
Just think of it as going on a long hunting trip!!! :mrgreen:

Those you worry and care about should also have a "bug out bag". You can't take care of everyone. :eusa-doh: However, they should be part of the plan, and should know where the rally point is. Don't assume they know....you know what happens when you "assume"!!! :lol: :lol:

Preparation... NOT Paranoia...is the name of the game!!! :thumbup:

Experience is the greatest teacher I have ever know!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:21 am
I was referring to ammunition run induced shortages when I used the phrase a few years of peace (which was a poor way to say it). As far as national turmoil goes, there will always be something simmering or boiling over. Expect peace in the near and middle east about the same time we have no threat of internal conflict here. I'm just grateful that the violence seldom or never spills over into suburban neighborhoods.
axiom
350 SE
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

grouse wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:28 pm
nchunterkw wrote:
I was referring to ammunition run induced shortages when I used the phrase a few years of peace (which was a poor way to say it). As far as national turmoil goes, there will always be something simmering or boiling over. Expect peace in the near and middle east about the same time we have no threat of internal conflict here. I'm just grateful that the violence seldom or never spills over into suburban neighborhoods.
Personally, I think you’re way off on this one. In the last few “ammo scares/shortages”, the republicans held at least one branch of government, and that’s no longer the case. I believe the Joe and the Ho show is going to go for the jugular on the second amendment and gun owners in the not to distant future. If they do, ammo ain’t coming back in stock, and even if they don’t, the last projections I heard were late 2022 or 2023 for a recovery.

For anyone who went through the Sandy Hook shortage and still failed to stock up on ammo over the last few years, I have no sympathy.
Ankh

Post by Ankh »

Last year Sean Parnell (who was running for office), a combat vet, had his house vandalized in the town I lived in that's 23 miles north of Pittsburgh. Also, the St. Louis couple that displayed arms whem a blm march trespassed on their property.

So yes, the political climate has changed and yes being prepared is always a good idea.
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
grouse

Post by grouse »

retrieverman wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:18 pm
grouse wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:28 pm
nchunterkw wrote:
Personally, I think you’re way off on this one. In the last few “ammo scares/shortages”, the republicans held at least one branch of government, and that’s no longer the case. I believe the Joe and the Ho show is going to go for the jugular on the second amendment and gun owners in the not to distant future. If they do, ammo ain’t coming back in stock, and even if they don’t, the last projections I heard were late 2022 or 2023 for a recovery.

For anyone who went through the Sandy Hook shortage and still failed to stock up on ammo over the last few years, I have no sympathy.
I've been told "the democrats are going to take your guns" all of my life and I'll soon be 72 years old. There is more red tape than there used to be, but I've never had a problem buying a gun. To me, it's just a scare tactic to stimulate sales of guns and ammunition = and a very successful one at that!
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

I've always said, if the shat hits the fan, you want to be friends with the guy who DIDNT have to run out and get ammo.

He already had it :wink:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Let me say this, where would you bug out to ? I use to have many firearms, ammo n reloading supplies. I still have some things, only one rifle do i have. I have one pump Win. model 12 shotgun with plug holds total of 7 counting the one in chamber. I have a few ML's just because i like shooting them. Really no where to bug out to that someone else isn't thinking to go there to. I am totally off grid, need no commercial power. Still need gas to drive with, like most everyone.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Good point vixer!!
Basically that's kinda what l always thought too Probably end up holding out here.we got pets etc. Where would l go.....out to live in the woods that would be fun for 2 days or so lol..
In my neck of the woods we were devastated by hurricane sandy and l witnessed the ugly side of people getting nasty and greedy in a store on nite was glade to be packing that nite glad l didn't need it too.
But witnessed ugly and people can get ugly real quick.
Glad to hear from you mike.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

The point is not to "bug out" to run away, it's to band together.!! You CANNOT fight and win as a "lone wolf". But as a pack, (a well organized and trained pack)...now that's a different story!! :eusa-think:
Remember this...."A good retreat is better than a bad stand any day".

Hunker down by yourself? How long do you think you will last when "THEY" come or you? If you are lucky, maybe 5 minutes at the most? Perhaps enough time to tell your loved ones goodbye...Cause there will be NO RULES of Engagement!! I won't have to "fight fair"!! :eusa-snooty: :eusa-snooty:
If you resist, you will be dealt with immediately...with overwhelming firepower. You display your 9mm. I'll return fire with an M72 LAW. :eusa-shhh:

Right now, we still have to "play by the rules" somewhat. I cannot come to your house and make a forced entry without a warrant signed by a judge. I cannot shoot you just because I feel like doing so. I cannot seize your property and/or other goods just because I want them. If the SHTF...no one will care about no stinking warrant, nor a judge!!! If you are on "the list" ... folks will be sent to "take what you have".

WHY do you think the Feds have had you fill out a Form 4473 since 1968???? After all, wasn't it the Democrats that rioted in Detroit that year??
Their own people gave them the idea. Know where the guns are so when you need to go get them...YOU CAN!!! :wtf:

I am not a purveyor of fear nor panic. :eusa-naughty: However...I have witnessed first hand what can and will happen when things spiral out of control. It's not a pretty sight. :sick:
Need I remind you of a place called "Mt. Carmel"? How about Ruby Ridge? I am quite familiar with both of these. I was at one of them. I'll let you guess which one...

I am NOT an "Armchair Quarterback". In 15 years of service in Spec Ops I have engaged in well over 8,000 hazardous entries in my career. Probably close to 1000 "Hostage/Barricaded Subject" stand-offs. I have taught classes all over the USA on CQB and "Forced Entry Techniques". I have taught "Long Range Rifle Schools" from one coast to the other. I'm not just another pretty face. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just remember this..."I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help you"!! :eusa-liar: :eusa-liar:

Don't be a sheep. Be the sheep dog!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Ankh

Post by Ankh »

AJ, I officially am calling you my man crush (although I do still identify as a manly man). Well said.
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Ankh wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:36 am
AJ, I officially am calling you my man crush (although I do still identify as a manly man). Well said.
That's too funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was VERY fortunate as a young man to be able to do what I truly loved. I've met and worked with some of the true pioneers of Special Operations Units all over. I spent a lot of time down the road from you in Rock Creek, Ohio working with and training with the folks at Defense Technologies. Also at their facility located in Casper, Wyoming.
Been to a little place called Quantico, also a place called Fort Benning. Went to "MOUT School" at Fort Hood.
I truly NEVER worked a day in my adult life!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

If I died tomorrow, I would only have one question for myself... Did I do enough to make a difference?