Time marches on.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

Time marches on.....

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I've had a good hunting season mixed with sad loss this year. I had three of my hunting family pass away. They took me under their wing and taught me alot about hunting and life. I've always had an interest in hunting but never went until I was almost 30 years old. They all excepted me in their family as a son and brother. Words cannot be expressed on how they impacted my life so I will not try here. My treestand is alittle full now because I take them with when I go to the woods. I have one "brother" left but he lives in Ark. and I get to hunt with him only 1 time a year. So now, I have a brother in law and sister in law plus a grandson that want to hunt. Hopefully I can pass on some hunting and life lessons that have been passed on to me. As always I am looking forward to next hunting season but now I fill more of a responsibility to share my love of the outdoors to others before my time runs out. Happy Hunting to all!!
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Time marches on.....

Post by Doe Master »

We all seem to think we have forever with our mentors . Like you it wasn`t until losing a mentor that it hits home to maybe become the mentor for others . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I'm pretty sure each one of us can look back over the years and find some folks who have impacted us in a very profound way.
I had an 2 Uncles that hunted and fished everyday they had the opportunity to do so. One of them never had any kids of his own, so I got to tag along with him a lot. The other had 3 kids, but only one who liked to hunt to fish. They just lived down the road from us, so guess who got to "tag along"??

These guys took me hunting for the 1st time when I was 8 years old. It's been over half a century since I was 8. But I still cherish those memories...

My Dad turned out to be the smartest man I ever knew! As I got older, I found myself repeating to my kids things he had said to me. One day my oldest daughter was talking with he and I, when she looked at me and said, "y'all sound just alike". I knew at that point I'd finally reached "Adulthood"!! :lol:

But as pointed out, "Time marches on...". Both those Uncles have long ago went "home". My Dad passed away a week before "Father's Day" in 2020.
If we are blessed enough one day we become the mentors in someone's life.
A man much wiser than I once said, "Aspire to Inspire before you Expire". :thumbup:

I have 7 grandkids. I hope that I can be half the influence on them as were these men on me.

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Cherish all those hunts with family, and mentors. Once they are gone there is no getting them back. Oh, what would you give for one more hunt with your dad or grandad? Great memories
grouse

Post by grouse »

I have two sons and neither of them likes to hunt much (though they both love venison). My youngest son's fiance (who is a Ferguson police officer- yes, "that" Ferguson) told me she wants to hunt deer next year both with a crossbow and a rifle. I told her the first thing we have to do is practice,practice, practice. We'll see how it works out. I'm betting I'll be posting about her first kill this fall.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

grouse wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:20 am
I have two sons and neither of them likes to hunt much (though they both love venison). My youngest son's fiance (who is a Ferguson police officer- yes, "that" Ferguson) told me she wants to hunt deer next year both with a crossbow and a rifle. I told her the first thing we have to do is practice,practice, practice. We'll see how it works out. I'm betting I'll be posting about her first kill this fall.
Take that young lady to the range!! Being Law Enforcement, she should KNOW how to shoot!! :lol:
What she'll need to learn is the anatomy of a deer!!
Sorry to be painful, but it's not like shooting "center mass" on a 2 legged predator!! :eusa-snooty:
Tell her I hope she gets her wish!!

And convey my gratitude to her, for her service in this crazy world in which we now live in!!
Y'all be safe out there!! :thumbup:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 am
grouse wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:20 am
Take that young lady to the range!! Being Law Enforcement, she should KNOW how to shoot!! :lol:
What she'll need to learn is the anatomy of a deer!!
Sorry to be painful, but it's not like shooting "center mass" on a 2 legged predator!! :eusa-snooty:
Tell her I hope she gets her wish!!

And convey my gratitude to her, for her service in this crazy world in which we now live in!!
Y'all be safe out there!! :thumbup:

AJ
She and my son bought me a new deer shaped bow target for my birthday. When they gave it to me is when she said she wants to learn to hunt deer. That target will be useful in teaching where to aim at a deer. I'll put her in whatever stand I think is the best on the farm at that time. If she can put in some time, she'll get a deer.

And, thanks for your kind comments. She knows we love her to death.
axiom
350 SE
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Lots of hunting memories...l often think of friends and mentors and past hunts in stand ...l cherish the failures and success with them both.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.