OT / School me on Air Rifles

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Re: OT / School me on Air Rifles

Post by wheelie »

Either a Springer or a PCP. PCP I find are boring to shoot as they are deadly accurate. Better at long distance. Buy by the time you pay for gun and then a compressor will run another $700 - $1000 on top. You may end up close to $1500 to $2000. Springers are fun to me and depends on you. Do you want to shoot it in the house in the bad weather or wintertime indoors? I have 11 rifles and six pistols and shoot everyday through out the year but my air rifles have never seen the outdoors. Outdoors I use a .22, .22 Mag or my .17 HMR. Lots of things to think about.

.22 pellet hits harder, normally slower than a .177. .22 harder on targets at close range and .22 are more expensive to buy. .177 cut through wind better with less drop. Either gun would take out small pests. Squirrels are always head shots no matter which of the above two you take.

Hard to buy pellet guns now. Hard for company's to get any in stock with this Covid world. But be very careful as once you go down the rabbit hole one just keeps going in deeper.

But remember, some people play video games and some of us do the real thing. Last time I played a video game it cost me 25 cents and 10 cents for the bus. LOL

Canadian Airgun Forum a good place to learn.

CHEERS!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

IronNoggin wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:14 pm
Thanks for all the replies & advice fellas! Appreciated!

Have yet to make up my mind, but I am wondering about thoughts on the following one. Fixed barrel, nitro piston, under barrel lever, and 11 round magazine all seem appealing. As is the price. So... Thoughts?

Umarex Synergis .22 900FPS

https://dlairgun.com/products/umarex-synergis-22-900fps-2251324umx-ar-000?variant=32674350628924

The Umarex Synergis has three primary features that are making the one-shot pellet rifle obsolete! Fixed barrel under-lever accuracy, smooth shooting T.N.T Gas piston power, and a low profile 11-shot RapidMag rotary magazine—all in a great looking, easy-handling package.

The Synergis departs from the conventional break barrel airgun design to give shooters fixed barrel accuracy that looks as good as it shoots. Umarex’s patent-pending Airflow Boost Technology lets the T.N.T gas piston transfer air in the most efficient way possible which makes the Synergis a true 900FPS rifle.

Included with the Synergis is a 3-9x32 scope which mounts to the rifle’s Picatinny rail. What really makes the Synergis head and shoulders above the rest is the low-profile 11-shot auto-indexing RapidMag rotary magazine. It's virtually automatic. The patented system rotates the magazine and inserts a pellet into the breech automatically every time you actuate it's easy to use under-lever cocking mechanism. Get stocked up on spare magazines, because you're going to want to shoot all day long!

.22 900FPS
2 Magazines Included
Rail: Metal lockdown picatinny rail
Trigger: 2 Stage, Non adjustable
3-9X32 scope and mounts included Gas piston
Weight: 8.0 LBS
Length: 45.5 Inches
I gas piston loses no power in cold weather and less kick than a springer. But basically it is a Springer compared to any other air rifle. Yes that one would be a great starting point. CHEERS!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

This ain't your granddaddy's BB gun!!

Umarex Synergis 22 900 fps. Fixed barrel, nitro piston, under barrel lever, and 10 round magazine

First notes:

Heavier than I expected. In fact pretty much the same as my 300 Weatherby.
Instructions appear easy.
Scope is OK, but will be replaced down the road.
Overall impression - seems well built and very robust.

Now to assemble it and learn how she operates.
Tomorrow or Thursday to shoot depending on the sky-water...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Best place for targets and pellets. In Canada Great seller.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/H-N-Pellets-177-4-50mm-22-5-50mm-Hunting-Plinking-Targets-Shooting-/332403465187?var=&hash=item7e0f2e9f4e

Champion 11 x 10 inch bullet trap for $110 and I run cardboard in front then full size printer card stock targets or glue targets on cardboard, These traps catch 99% of the pellets. Can shoot in your basement or attic anytime you like without even leaving the house. :)

https://www.amazon.ca/Champion-Traps-Targets-Bullet-Rimfire/dp/B0013R4DBQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Champion+bullet+trap&qid=1615377015&sr=8-1

They fit perfectly in a milk crate. Stack them up till it is at the height you want. :)

Princess Auto sells a good gun in .177 for $34.99 for cheap short range plinking. Very accurate and can shoot for a penny a shot. Excalibur Scopes are good on it as they dial in clear if you only have 10 or 15 feet to shoot. :) I have a 10 meter range and a 15 foot range in my house. 15 foot mostly for air pistols and that is where I have my bullet trap.

When you get bored we can talk about holster drawing with airsoft pistols and doing speed draws and stuff in the house. You maybe headed down a rabbit hole. :)

Have fun. Cheers!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Alrighty then, here is yesterday's range report:

Took a few measurements of the single group shot previously when it just arrived, and adjusted the scope so as to try and get them centered properly.

Then wandered out to a close gravel pit and got set up:

Only company was a couple of tossed mattresses to watch the show:

Ammo of choice (recommended for this rifle):

First group at 15 yards. Pretty close guess on the scope adjustments:

So, out to 25 yards:

A few tweaks to the scope, again at 25 yards:

Almost acceptable. But the next group shocked me:

And the next two were even more opened up?

If my crossbow did this, I would suspect a scope mount / bolt issue.
But a quick inspection suggested these were all fine.
Will look closer today.
Will also clean the hell out of it, and try again when the sky-water quits.

Other comments:

Rifle cocks easily.
Magazine functions well.
Two stage trigger is initially a little gritty - makes it a little effort to determine the wall.
Trigger does break clean with about 2.5 - 3 lbs.
Scope is only so - so, and will eventually need replacing.
Overall weight leans to the heavy side.

Anyone have any idea as to why the groups would open up like that after starting off so much better?

Can't put my finger on it and that is a little concerning...

Standing by...
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Same happened with my very expensive Beeman. After determining the scope was tight I started looking at screws on the rifle and found one backed out a turn or so. That put me back on dime sized groups. A bit of blue thread locker and now it stays put.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Gun heating up and burning machining oil as it gets hot. Don't get excited as it needs a tin or two of pellets through it to tame down. Clean it when you get it and after the first time only clean it as a last resort if it is not shooting good anymore after you check all screws ect. When you clean it you have to re-lead the barrel again. But that won't take a tin. Don't use oil on the gun or it will diesel and ruin seals. You will have smoke in the barrel which is a sign of dieseling. Until that is finished it will shoot erratic. Going to be frustrating getting it shooting accurately. Military hold. Let the gun float. Keep things simple. Can not grip it like a powder burner. It is not like a rifle, airgun needs a big break in period and held correctly and exact every time. CHEERS!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

wheelie wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:26 pm
Gun heating up and burning machining oil as it gets hot. Don't get excited as it needs a tin or two of pellets through it to tame down. Clean it when you get it and after the first time only clean it as a last resort if it is not shooting good anymore after you check all screws ect. When you clean it you have to re-lead the barrel again. But that won't take a tin. Don't use oil on the gun or it will diesel and ruin seals. You will have smoke in the barrel which is a sign of dieseling. Until that is finished it will shoot erratic. Going to be frustrating getting it shooting accurately. Military hold. Let the gun float. Keep things simple. Can not grip it like a powder burner. It is not like a rifle, airgun needs a big break in period and held correctly and exact every time. CHEERS!
Do they sell the cleaning pellets in Canada. That’s all I ever used in the RWS spring air I used to shoot.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

yes. I have them in 177 & 22. I always put a pellet behind them when I shoot them through the gun, :)
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Thanks Fella's! Appreciated!

All bolts and mounts were firm.
Leaning towards a malfunctioning scope.
Sent the company an email to see if they will credit me towards a better scope...

Cheers,
Nog
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

This has been an interesting thread.

Nice to see the diversity in the pool of knowledge at this site.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

I sent the company an email, requesting a discount on a better scope.
They said OK, and offered 40 clams towards this one:

Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO AMX

https://www.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-3-9x40-amx.html

https://www.airgunsource.ca/us/hawke-airmax-3-9x40-ao-amx.html

I have a Hawke scope on my crossbow which has worked out very well for me.
Damn tough, and never ever needed any tweaking.
So I am somewhat inclined to bite.

Before I do, I'd like some input from any that feel they can please...

Hoping...
Nog
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

It might be the scope. You have to hold a spring piston the same exact way every time. If you rest it, it has to be on the same exact place. You have to shoot a lot of pellets and then run a dry patch through it, no full cleaning. Spring pistons are very temperamental until they break in and you learn how to hold it. In our house we share rifles, so we couldn't even use a spring piston. It would shoot a group for one of us but it would shoot somewhere else for my brother and another place for my Dad. In Arkansas, we visited Hatsan and Umerex/Legend. Both tours talked a lot about setting up a spring piston for one shooter, one way. Also need certain scopes with solid mounting. For us, that wasn't gonna work and we ditched them for PCP's. I think you have to work with yours and not worry about groups yet. Shoot the whole tin of pellets just plinking. Then check everything and dial in with your hold.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Hawke scope ordered & they honored the discount.
Told me to simply toss the old scope, so I take it they sort of knew it was junk from the get-go.
I'll wait for it to show before picking up some decent mounts and giving it another whirl...

Cheers,
Nog