New String Lubricant

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Re: New String Lubricant

Post by Normous »

New string and cable set ready for install after a Silicone treatment.
Note: Kevlar Serving.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I just ordered some of this stuff. I noticed that some of the containers come with a tube applicator. I think I'd better lock mine up in my gun safe. In the dark and in a rush i wouldn't want it and the KY jelly to get confused. Mind you it is completely non toxic and a superior lube, they say. :eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Slick stuff :thumbup:
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

So are you saying to use this stuff in place of string wax? Or in addition to?
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Boo

Post by Boo »

wheelsquad wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:02 pm
So are you saying to use this stuff in place of string wax? Or in addition to?
I am no longer using wax, just the silicone. It is super easy to apply and it soaks into the string quickly unlike the wax I make that takes much longer to soak in. In traditional string waxes, the wax is a transport vehicle to get the actual lubricant in contact with the string. This stuff does not just sit on top of the surface. String material manufacturers want silicone imbedded into the string fibers. In an ideal world, I would use silicone and follow up with string wax to help keep the silicone in the string but I'm too lazy and just apply silicone a little more often. In addition, if you are putting string wax on your serving, there are no solids that can fall into your trigger unit.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Exactly, I added BCY's ML6 Bowstring wax/ part silicone on top of the pure silicone for added protection. This is on a new string.

I might add that I added a smidge of pure silicone to my cam bearings and cable slide . This step is not required on an Exaclibur of course.
Last edited by Normous on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hi5 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:03 pm
I just ordered some of this stuff. I noticed that some of the containers come with a tube applicator. I think I'd better lock mine up in my gun safe. In the dark and in a rush i wouldn't want it and the KY jelly to get confused. Mind you it is completely non toxic and a superior lube, they say. :eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
I bet nobody has ever tried KY for a serving. But I'd sure bet someone HAS tried treadmill lube in place if KY. :eusa-dance:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

One thing I forgot that occurred to me when I decided to go to 100% silicone. I knew manufacturers want silicone in the fibers/filaments and it dawned on me that if you use wax, silicone cannot pernitrate past because the wax is a barrier. Why don't manufacturers of bows and strings use silicone? It is more expensive than a wax and more difficult to put into user level containers and ship.
I can't guarantee anything but so far so good and it works well on the compound crossbow with a crazy string angle. That bow doesn't use a cable slide, the served cables rub against each other.
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

Boo, you say wax is a barrier. Does that mean it would be a waste to put silicone on strings that have been regularly waxed?
Boo

Post by Boo »

rattlerun wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:58 pm
Boo, you say wax is a barrier. Does that mean it would be a waste to put silicone on strings that have been regularly waxed?
I should have been more clear. The strands and the filaments within the strands rub again each other when the string moves. So much of the wax gets flung off. If you have a string that has been waxed then then the string appears to need to need waxing use silicone and rub it in. So no, it is still beneficial to use silicone.
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

Boo
Ok, got the oil. Now, do I just use a couple drops for the whole Flemish string, serving and end loops? Is more better? Can you put to much on? How often should it be applied? 50, 100 or more shots?
Thanks
Boo

Post by Boo »

A drop every few inches. Frequency is up to you but I think when it doesn't feel slick or if it looks dry, lube it. You'd probably be good if you put a drop or two on each loop when the string is still on the bow. Always lube when your done shooting to let the silicone soak in.
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

Hey Boo, you being a mechanic, a friend I was talking to about silicone oil, said he had some small tubes of what looks like silicone grease that came with brakes he was fixing on his vehicle. Would that work?
Boo

Post by Boo »

rattlerun wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:21 pm
Hey Boo, you being a mechanic, a friend I was talking to about silicone oil, said he had some small tubes of what looks like silicone grease that came with brakes he was fixing on his vehicle. Would that work?
I think you’ll find that it is dielectric grease. If it is, then it will stink. If not, use it. Silicone oil isn’t expensive and a little bit goes a long way.
Edit. I have to correct myself. I was thinking about a product called STOS. Dielectric grease is ok, I used it for a short period of time but stopped when I bumped into Trident grease, then the oil. The reason for going away from dielectric was that I wanted more silicone than dielectric grease has. Dielectric grease has thickener and silicone oil is supposedly 100%. There is a difference in how the oil and dielectric grease feels.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Just did my first treatment with silicone oil tonight, and after just a few minutes I could tell it was dispersing and will soak in well. So far so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IX28D0U?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title is the one I purchased. Might cost a little more per ounce this way, but the convenience of having it in smaller bottles and being able to keep bottles in different places seemed worth it. I'll keep one in the garage, one in the arrow case, and give one to my brother.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360