Somebody got a Cape Buffalo with their Excalibur

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Somebody got a Cape Buffalo with their Excalibur

Post by XB I GO »

I don't know who this man Brian is but an outfitter just put his picture of the net. Looks like he was successful with his Excalibur...

Riflemanz

Re: Somebody got a Cape Buffalo with their Excalibur

Post by Riflemanz »

Very nice. What a Beast!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I bet that was an awesome hunt. What model is the bow in the pick?
Take it easy
Hatchet
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

As Teddy Roosevelt would say..."Bully for him"!! :thumbup:

Hunting dangerous game in Africa has always been a issue of how close one must be to make a killing-stopping shot.
Things that can eat you or stomp you to death call for a cool head when hunting them. Cape Buffalo, Elephant, Leopard, Lion and back in the day Rhino were usually shot at VERY close range with huge caliber rifles. So...I can see where a bow would be interesting. And quite the challenge. :wink:

If anyone is interested in some really good reading material, I suggest "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter Hathaway Capstick. He also wrote "Death in the Silent Places" and "Death in the Dark Continent". Capstick was quite the writer and hunter.
And by all means read "The Meat-eaters of Tsavo" by Lieutenant J.H. Patterson, D.S.O.. For 9 months in 1898 the lions managed to kill as many as 135 in the southern Kenyan region as they attempted to build a bridge over the Tsavo River.

The only problem with hunting Africa is...you can't just do it once!! :lol: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Pretty awesome it's with a Suppressor, pretty much answers every question about how much speed you need for pretty much everything on the planet.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:03 am
As Teddy Roosevelt would say..."Bully for him"!! :thumbup:

Hunting dangerous game in Africa has always been a issue of how close one must be to make a killing-stopping shot.
Things that can eat you or stomp you to death call for a cool head when hunting them. Cape Buffalo, Elephant, Leopard, Lion and back in the day Rhino were usually shot at VERY close range with huge caliber rifles. So...I can see where a bow would be interesting. And quite the challenge. :wink:

If anyone is interested in some really good reading material, I suggest "Death in the Long Grass" by Peter Hathaway Capstick. He also wrote "Death in the Silent Places" and "Death in the Dark Continent". Capstick was quite the writer and hunter.
And by all means read "The Meat-eaters of Tsavo" by Lieutenant J.H. Patterson, D.S.O.. For 9 months in 1898 the lions managed to kill as many as 135 in the southern Kenyan region as they attempted to build a bridge over the Tsavo River.

The only problem with hunting Africa is...you can't just do it once!! :lol: :lol:
Hmm, just watched that movie the other day. It didn't hold up to the way I remembered it. But it did put the book on my list. Turns out those Lions were cripples, one was missing half its jaw, and taking easy food. Did not kill nearly as many as the story says, I think the number was 18 proven. Which is still devastating to say the least

"And by all means read "The Meat-eaters of Tsavo" by Lieutenant J.H. Patterson, D.S.O.. For 9 months in 1898 the lions managed to kill as many as 135 in the southern Kenyan region as they attempted to build a bridge over the Tsavo River"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hatchet wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:01 am
I bet that was an awesome hunt. What model is the bow in the pick?
Take it easy
Hatchet
Apears to be a micro suppressor, in factory trim. With what looks like 20" arrows
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 am
Hmm, just watched that movie the other day. It didn't hold up to the way I remembered it. But it did put the book on my list. Turns out those Lions were cripples, one was missing half its jaw, and taking easy food. Did not kill nearly as many as the story says, I think the number was 18 proven. Which is still devastating to say the least

"And by all means read "The Meat-eaters of Tsavo" by Lieutenant J.H. Patterson, D.S.O.. For 9 months in 1898 the lions managed to kill as many as 135 in the southern Kenyan region as they attempted to build a bridge over the Tsavo River"
[/quote]

You are absolutely correct, it was shown that one of the Lions was in really bad shape due to dental abscess's and tooth loss and a damaged mandible. Preying on the workers was a MUCH easier way of finding a "meal". Some say that the other Lion was just a "helper" and really didn't kill but just a handful of people. Anyway, the thought of having to look over your shoulder in fear of being "lunch" must have been really stressful. :wtf:

Hollyweird's rendition of the book, the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" was a creation of some fact with a whole lot of fiction thrown in. But it did make for a really entertaining movie.

Anyway...can you imagine looking over your shoulder for a period of about 9 months wondering...."Am I next"????
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:22 am
janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 am

You are absolutely correct, it was shown that one of the Lions was in really bad shape due to dental abscess's and tooth loss and a damaged mandible. Preying on the workers was a MUCH easier way of finding a "meal". Some say that the other Lion was just a "helper" and really didn't kill but just a handful of people. Anyway, the thought of having to look over your shoulder in fear of being "lunch" must have been really stressful. :wtf:

Hollyweird's rendition of the book, the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" was a creation of some fact with a whole lot of fiction thrown in. But it did make for a really entertaining movie.

Anyway...can you imagine looking over your shoulder for a period of about 9 months wondering...."Am I next"????
[/quote]
Hollyweird changing facts, come on man! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Spent 9 month on the plains of Africa and didn't even lose his frosted tips hahahah
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

AJ01 wrote:
... The only problem with hunting Africa is...you can't just do it once!! :lol: :lol:
Too True that!
Once wasn't enough.
Nor was twice.
But at the third I decided to hold off until the political atmosphere changed some.
It largely hasn't yet, and I have yet to go back as a consequence...

Those Buff are as dangerous as they get.
This fellow has some might big stones to take one with a bow!!
Respect!!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

I’ve watched ALL the YouTube African hunts with bow and rifle. To say the least, Africa is high on any hunter’s list but to be able to afford a hunt is a pipe dream for most.
In cases where an arrow was used to take one of the “big 5” there was always a couple of “safari grade” doubles or big bore, dangerous game rifles for a back up shot or two. Exciting moments for sure! Just like Alaska grizz or brown bear, out of my reach unless the lotto comes through! :lol:
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

IronNoggin wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:08 pm
AJ01 wrote:
... The only problem with hunting Africa is...you can't just do it once!! :lol: :lol:
Too True that!
Once wasn't enough.
Nor was twice.
But at the third I decided to hold off until the political atmosphere changed some.
It largely hasn't yet, and I have yet to go back as a consequence...

Those Buff are as dangerous as they get.
This fellow has some might big stones to take one with a bow!!
Respect!!

Cheers,
Nog
Matt...
I have a good friend that grew up in Rhodesia. When all hell broke loose there during their "civil unrest" he fled to America. His family lost everything. He is still does some PH work in South Africa. Goes back a few times each year. You will never hear him call Rhodesia...Zimbabwe.

Like you said, I don't think the "civil unrest" will be over anywhere in Africa in my lifetime.
So sad... :(
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hillcountry wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:07 am
I’ve watched ALL the YouTube African hunts with bow and rifle. To say the least, Africa is high on any hunter’s list but to be able to afford a hunt is a pipe dream for most.
Not as costly as one might think. If a person can afford a guided Elk hunt or Sheep hunt, he can dang sure afford a Plains Game trip to Africa. Botswana, Namibia and Zambia offer excellent hunts for the likes of Impala, Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra and all kinds of critters in between.
Plains game hunts run anywhere from 4k to about 7K on average.
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

AJ01 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:01 am
Matt...
I have a good friend that grew up in Rhodesia. When all hell broke loose there during their "civil unrest" he fled to America. His family lost everything. He is still does some PH work in South Africa. Goes back a few times each year. You will never hear him call Rhodesia...Zimbabwe.

Like you said, I don't think the "civil unrest" will be over anywhere in Africa in my lifetime.
So sad... :(
We had good family Friends in Rhodesia. Many fought in those brutal wars. Most still call it Rhodesia, not ZIM.
I hunted largely with one of their Ladz slightly younger than me when there.
Loved the country, and was downright amazed at how much wild lands and wild life was left.
All but the Old Man have now left, for obvious reasons.
He hides in the tractor dealership outside of Marondera, surrounded by double walled electric fences, dogs, and machine gun towers.
Tough life...

Through my work at CITES, and from introductions from the folks in Zim, I met a good handful of PH's that were to become fast friends.
Through them, and the family noted above, I discovered just how inexpensive it was to hunt over there.
No "tags" as the animal belongs to whomever's land it is on.
Pay the farmer after your shot. Most species were extremely affordable!

I've hunted Zimbabwe obviously, but also South Africa, Botswana & Namibia.
Thought I'd wander back after Mugave was replaced, but the country there (and SA) continue to be more than a bit of a $hit Show.
Getting up in age now, I wonder if I'll ever make it back.
Hope so, certainly wonderful memories...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."