shed hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

shed hunting

Post by grouse »

Does anybody have any tips on how to find shed antlers? I have found a few over the years but I pretty much just stumbled onto them. My wife saw a big buck with both antlers last week and I saw a small one with one antler. Prime time seems to be right about now because they would be freshly fallen. I would appreciate any ideas.
axiom
350 SE
xcaliber

Re: shed hunting

Post by xcaliber »

Look for bedding areas, and places that require them to jump a fence, etc. Using a dog where legal is a great idea, and bringing youngsters, they see lower than we do, and under stuff too. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:07 pm
Look for bedding areas, and places that require them to jump a fence, etc. Using a dog where legal is a great idea, and bringing youngsters, they see lower than we do, and under stuff too. :thumbup:
Spot 0n :thumbup:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
janesy

Post by janesy »

I have to step on them before I even see them. But a guy I know finds them all the time. He goes out and walks the fields or bush mid morning when the sun is at an angle as soon as the snow is gone and glasses the ground for white marks. If he sees one he walks to it. Then starts again. Right about now is perfect, once the grass stand up again, they don't stand out against their background anymore.

So he says. Although, I've never actually gone shed hunting, like I said, I rarely find them. Maybe I'm just not looking.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:08 pm
I have to step on them before I even see them. But a guy I know finds them all the time. He goes out and walks the fields or bush mid morning when the sun is at an angle as soon as the snow is gone and glasses the ground for white marks. If he sees one he walks to it. Then starts again. Right about now is perfect, once the grass stand up again, they don't stand out against their background anymore.

So he says. Although, I've never actually gone shed hunting, like I said, I rarely find them. Maybe I'm just not looking.
Chris, you would have to hold it up, and wave it around for me to see it.........if I'm close enough. :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Google antler trap or deer shed trap.

Fairly easy to make and the bucks do it all for you