Lady Nip serves up a perfect closer with a side of oh %$#&!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Lady Nip serves up a perfect closer with a side of oh %$#&!

Post by Species8472 »

Got on the ice on Sunday (14th) around noon. It was windy as %^&# with gusts to 60 km/hour. My son and I managed to get the pop up set with 6 ice anchors and tied down to the snowmobile:

First hour was totally dead and than the action started. Over a dozen like this:

One pike:

And at about 4:00 pm this:

That one came home with us and measured 18 5/8 inches. First keeper of the season for me.

Around 5 pm the wind died down some and the ice started making creepy cracking, grinding and moaning sounds. We fished until about 645 pm and than headed out for the 8 km ride back to the truck.

Headed out on Monday (15th - the closer) at noon and had lines in the water about 1 pm. It was a beautiful sunny day with no wind. We went to a different spot about 12 km from the truck this time. Ice was really loud with lots of noise and the odd small movement. Creepy but we were not concerned as we were on 14 inches with 11 of those being clear and solid.

Action started right away with 20+ like this in 5 hours:

Also picked up a few Jumbos:

The real magic happened at 245 pm:

Just over 28 inches and a personal best for me. He came off part way up the hole and i threw my rod away and stuck my arm down the hole and grabbed him by the gills - close call. At about 3 pm just when my heart rate was returning to normal we got hit by the craziest ice quake i have ever experienced. Sounded like multiple close gun shots. Water shot out of the holes. Hut was shaking and ice was going back and forth and up and down. Was so violent it knocked over the Buddy Heater.

My son and I were unable to discern any change in the ice in our immediate area and agreed that whatever damage may have occurred was now done and we might as well carry on fishing but agreed we should leave an hour early to ensure good light for the 12 km trip out.

On the ride out 3 km from the truck we came up on a hard to see open pressure crack. I was doing about 40 km/hour and did not have enough time to stop so i did the only thing possible - put the throttle to the stops and thanked God that i studded the track this fall. We were doing about 80 when we hit the water. My sled weighs just over 800 lbs with the amount of fuel i had. Add 2x 200 lb riders. Add 7 foot by 3 foot toboggan loaded with 200 ish pounds of gear in tow. Crack was somewhere between 12 and 15 feet wide and we skipped across - not recommended. Everything in the the toboggan was soaked. Should have taken a picture of the crack but i was so wigged out i just kept going until i was on land.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Boo

Re: Lady Nip serves up a perfect closer with a side of oh %$#&!

Post by Boo »

Sounds like something you two will be talking about for a while! Looking like you guys had a great day! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Wow that was a close call ,glade it worked out ok for you.
At least the fishing was good and you have a story to remember.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
artifact

Post by artifact »

That's some fine table fare there, walleye and venison is surf and turf!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Man, that's crazy. Simcoe was a different story this past weekend, shortly after 3 on friday, the lake gave up and 11 people went through at the same time all over the lake. My wife and I drove from Beaverton to Barrie and back around the North end, and there were ambulances and firetrucks all over the place.

It was bad, can't make this stuff up. Airboats all over, ambulances lined up the Pier in Beaverton. Luckily nobody died. I didn't even make it to the shoreline this year.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Yikes!!
bet your looking forward to spring bear :)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

When in doubt...throttle out. Sounds like quite an adventure. Some great fishing too.
Take care
Hatchet
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Nice fish and glad you guys are okay!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I wish you could have had 3 dash cams set up. One would be looking ahead. It would be nice to see what you saw as you approached the gap. One would be nice, looking back. I'd love to know how much the rear of your machine dipped before you climbed the ice. Seeing how much your sled sagged down would be interesting, too.

The third one would need to be aimed at you. I'd REALLY like to see the expression on your face for the before, during, and after.

(Hope the suspension on your sled wasn't harmed.)
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

gerald strine wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm
Wow that was a close call ,glad it worked out ok for you.
At least the fishing was good and you have a story to remember.
X2 my thoughts exactly when I read the post.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Nice fish looked like an awsome day for sure!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.