Bought something totally useless today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Bought something totally useless today

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/HrG6DWkr]Image
But it's a blast to shoot!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
AJ01

Re: Bought something totally useless today

Post by AJ01 »

Makes a mighty fine truck gun!! :thumbup: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

One of them things you hope to never need, but damn glad you have! I got a couple of them things Joe, all good! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Al in Mi

Post by Al in Mi »

No such thing as a useless gun!!!
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

not as useless as one might think!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7shQkL8FO4
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Totally useless.... until you need it.😁
janesy

Post by janesy »

Not useless at all! Love the shorties!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

When I canoe camped with my family, I carried one similar to that rolled up in my bedroll. However, I had a pistol grip (might be nicer to control recoil if several quick shots are required), and a folding stock. I kept a fired round in the chamber and dropped the firing pin down on it. That way, in a panic, all that was required was to pump back and forth. No action release button to find and press first. Then I loaded buckshot, followed by slugs. If a bear was spotted, slugs were first to be chambered. If slugs didn't do it, buckshot was last for close up. Of course, for other critters, there may be better strategies.

Never had to use it, but it was reassuring to have it along. Now my son has it. The problem is that in some parks where he wants to camp, the park regulations forbid carrying any firearm. That's when a choice has to be made.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
lituani

Post by lituani »

Insurance = (something you buy) - (hope to never need/use)
janesy

Post by janesy »

I wanted a tac-14 marine in the worst way. But they were to pricey up here. We can't use the tac-13 up here, which would have been awesome.
But then this came up at Christmas so I jumped on it.

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

One of the most useful tools a man can own. Probably one of the most versatile tools also. Correctly loaded they can handle anything from a Dove to a Grizzly. And they make an excellent deterrent to nasty minded 2 legged critters who attempt to rob or steal, or worse.
If I were limited to just one "tool" to handle a variety of situations, I'd look long and hard at a good .12 gauge!!
The ability to change barrels quickly, or screw in a different choke are a real plus! :thumbup:

Yes, I know. One can hardly walk down the street with one without causing others to be a little stressed. But I'm talking around the house, farm or deer woods. Also GREAT for a truck "tool"

One of my favorites is a "re-purposed" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 3 Inch chamber. It came with a nice Parkerized finish, 28 inch vent rib barrel with a modified choke and plastic furniture.
The barrel went to a local gunsmith who cut it back to 18.5 inches. Installed "RemChoke" screw-ins for me and replaced the sights on the rib. A Choate extended shell tube was added to hold more shells. High viz shell follower, enlarged safety, and a holographic sight and a mounted light with a pressure switch round out all the accoutrements!!! :lol:

This set-up allows me to "go with the flow" as they say. :lol: :wink:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:04 am
One of the most useful tools a man can own. Probably one of the most versatile tools also. Correctly loaded they can handle anything from a Dove to a Grizzly. And they make an excellent deterrent to nasty minded 2 legged critters who attempt to rob or steal, or worse.
If I were limited to just one "tool" to handle a variety of situations, I'd look long and hard at a good .12 gauge!!
The ability to change barrels quickly, or screw in a different choke are a real plus! :thumbup:

Yes, I know. One can hardly walk down the street with one without causing others to be a little stressed. But I'm talking around the house, farm or deer woods. Also GREAT for a truck "tool"

One of my favorites is a "re-purposed" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 3 Inch chamber. It came with a nice Parkerized finish, 28 inch vent rib barrel with a modified choke and plastic furniture.
The barrel went to a local gunsmith who cut it back to 18.5 inches. Installed "RemChoke" screw-ins for me and replaced the sights on the rib. A Choate extended shell tube was added to hold more shells. High viz shell follower, enlarged safety, and a holographic sight and a mounted light with a pressure switch round out all the accoutrements!!! :lol:

I bought a 21" ribbed barrel for my Remington 870 Express that I had bought at Walmart decades ago. The original 28" barrel with an Indian Creek Diamond Strike Choke on the end was bit clumsy in a turkey blind. The 21" barrel with that choke has been an excellent combination. I also have a TRUGLO Pro-Series Magnum Gobble-Dot 3-Dot Sights with Elevation Ramp mounted on the vent rib. My 870 Express had sort of plain looking wood. I removed the forearm and wooden stock. Sanded them down, painted them matt black, & then used some oak & maple leaves to stencil some olive green over the black. Added a stud for a sling in the wooden stock at the same time. A different magazine cap took care of the other end. It transformed a simple 870 Express I had bought from Walmart many years ago into a nice turkey gun.

I had a Super Mag 3.5" chamber Remington 870 SPS turkey (pistol grip & my own 1.5-6 x power scope) at one time. I thought it would be my perfect turkey set up. I hated the large bulky pistol grip stock on that 870 Super Mag, & shooting 3.5" turkey loads wasn't all that pleasant.

I knew someone who was interested in buying my 870 SPS around the same time I discovered a slightly used Browning Gold 10 at a Scheels store in Eau Claire, WI. The Browning Gold 10 gauge with a 26" barrel and an Indian Creek Diamond Strike Choke is my primary turkey gun now. Even with 3.5" 10 gauge turkey loads the recoil is much less than with my 12 gauge pump shotguns.

If I am hiking in a ways, I still use my Remington 870 Express with the 21" barrel quite often. If I am in a blind for a length of time & the Toms are being really stubborn, the Browning Gold 10 is my go to gun. I primarily use 5 shot of Hevi-13 with my 10 gauge (take advantage of Hevi-shot $10 rebates).

Most of us probably buy some things we don't need. I probably didn't need a Browning Gold 10, but I found a good deal on one. A good friend of mine bought a used Browning Gold 10 with a longer barrel long before me. He bought it from someone he knew. He bought it to be his primary goose hunting gun. It's his primary turkey gun now, too! It's a lot of gun to lug around, but it really puts down the birds at longer ranges. Neither of us have tried TSS 10 gauge loads, however. We don't want to have to refinance our houses to buy shells.

If I was defending myself at home, I would grab the old Remington 870 pump. Something about the sound of a good pump shotgun sounds intimidating. Sort of reminds me of a scene in the movie Crocodile Dundee, where Dundee and his girlfriend are being held up by some dude with a small switchblade knife. Dundee pulls out his Bowie knife & says " that's not a knife", slices up the front of dudes jacket, and then the thugs all run.
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:04 am

Ok, you talked me into it. I have a few 870's. Two are special to me. One is my 1970 wingmaster with rifled barrel. It had the factory 26" vent rib, but someone offered me way to much money, so I sold it. So it only has the rifled barrel. It however, has only been fired once. That one is being saved for my son's 18th birthday.

This one, is kinda my pride and joy. It is a retired 1980 Brinks Truck gun. If I recall correctly it has been fired exactly 35 times, once for each year service test, and my buddy shot one round. When I got it, it looked like it was run over by a truck, literally. But it was factory ordered with a chrome bolt, lifter and an 18" cylinder bore barrel. Not 18.5! My Gunsmith received about 30 of them and kindly gave me near first choice for $150. I hand sanded it smooth, then it was blasted and Parkerized. I painstaking located year specific police wood, and a trigger group that all had just enough wear to look the part. I must have bought and sold a dozen 870's collecting the proper parts. I had a MINT police stock, and a MINT trigger group. But I went with ever so slightly worn options instead, and the parkerizing perfectly compliments this gun's laugh lines and wrinkles

But the end result, is my favorite home gun, that is exactly returned to how it was ordered by Brinks in 1979. And I have yet to shoot it.

This gun does not need pistol grips, lights or lazer or mag extensions to absolutely scream BadAss!

Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Are you ALL thinking what I'm thinking?...

00 B U C K
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

That's cool!
I have a deep checkered ex police 870 also that someone customized with walnut furniture it totally functions it was used and carried a lot but still in good shape.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.