Thanks guys!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
longbow joe

Re: Opening Day...

Post by longbow joe »

What you experienced with the coming in and "veering off" is what defines a good turkey hunter....it has happened many many times to me.
You have to make a decision and shoot. I now always put a 30 yard "exit" marker stake out there for this exact reason when they decide that something is not perfect or the hen leads them away you use the 30 yard marker and shoot.
Once l killed my first turkey with a bow the shotgun just didn't do it for me anymore you hit a hunting milestone today mark .. congrats once again!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:11 pm
What you experienced with the coming in and "veering off" is what defines a good turkey hunter....it has happened many many times to me.
You have to make a decision and shoot. I now always put a 30 yard "exit" marker stake out there for this exact reason when they decide that something is not perfect or the hen leads them away you use the 30 yard marker and shoot.
Once l killed my first turkey with a bow the shotgun just didn't do it for me anymore you hit a hunting milestone today mark .. congrats once again!
Heck yeah man... I've had it happen many times. I hunted a North Carolina hog farm for many years that was loaded with birds. Problem was, it had a huge upper field and a huge lower field that the turkeys roosted around in tall pines... made it tough to get close enough for a shot. The toms and hens would fly down in the middle and get together... I finally decided to put my Double Bull blind in the middle of the field, but they were still hard to get within range. Long story short, I had been watching those birds for so long at 80 and 100 yards, when one finally came to what I thought was about 40 yards I rolled him. On my way to pick him up I stepped it off... 55 yards... :wtf:

I killed 20 or so birds on that property... then the farmer had most of his pigs die one year due to a virus, so to subsidize, he cut all the planted pines... no more turkeys!! I have gone back over the years and picked up a bird here and there (called one in for my wife 3 years ago), but it's nothing like it was.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

flinthead wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:26 am
longbow joe wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:11 pm
Heck yeah man... I've had it happen many times. I hunted a North Carolina hog farm for many years that was loaded with birds. Problem was, it had a huge upper field and a huge lower field that the turkeys roosted around in tall pines... made it tough to get close enough for a shot. The toms and hens would fly down in the middle and get together... I finally decided to put my Double Bull blind in the middle of the field, but they were still hard to get within range. Long story short, I had been watching those birds for so long at 80 and 100 yards, when one finally came to what I thought was about 40 yards I rolled him. On my way to pick him up I stepped it off... 55 yards... :wtf:

I killed 20 or so birds on that property... then the farmer had most of his pigs die one year due to a virus, so to subsidize, he cut all the planted pines... no more turkeys!! I have gone back over the years and picked up a bird here and there (called one in for my wife 3 years ago), but it's nothing like it was.
Had the same thing happen on a Corn farm that was sold to a Sod company. Turkeys went from "home sweet home" to "just passing through" pretty much over night.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Used to think it was my decoys etc. But even with avians and the best setup that money will buy will not change a turkeys mind....you will never figure them out that's what's so cool.
With a shotgun it's not as big a problem but a crossbow is a different story.
I know and strive for the 5 yard kill but with my excalibur bows but with any of the super wides l will shoot at a non moving bird at 30 yards with total confidence.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:34 pm
Used to think it was my decoys etc. But even with avians and the best setup that money will buy will not change a turkeys mind....you will never figure them out that's what's so cool.
With a shotgun it's not as big a problem but a crossbow is a different story.
I know and strive for the 5 yard kill but with my excalibur bows but with any of the super wides l will shoot at a non moving bird at 30 yards with total confidence.
I always say - "The only thing predictable about turkeys is that they are unpredictable."

That's why I probably own a 10 gauge shotgun.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Congrats! Looks like a big bird.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Texas Spring season is April 3-May 16. TPWD reports a nice healthy surplus of birds this spring!! Get ready!!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

AJ01 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:22 am
Texas Spring season is April 3-May 16. TPWD reports a nice healthy surplus of birds this spring!! Get ready!!! :thumbup:
Good luck AJ!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

great story, makes me want our season start sooner! southern Ill.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

flinthead wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:22 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:22 am
Good luck AJ!!
Thanks Mark!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!