Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: Moon nocks

Post by janesy »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 pm

Chris,
This tells me that the downward string pressure with a flat nock is swamping out any variation that nock may have on the speed. But in the case of the moon nock, since the string pressure on the deck is reduced, and transferred to the nock, variation in how the string "attaches" to the nock is translating to a speed variation. As Boo says, nock material in that case seems to play a role in speed.

Seems to me if Excalibur determines this to be of significance, then a redesign to eliminate all downward string pressure on the deck would be the best way to go about this. Of course that would REQUIRE a capture nock IMO.
I agree 100% Keith. I was expecting a bit of a difference, and frankly the difference was nominal in my case. But, and a big but here... I'm shooting at 15 yards in my basement. Quite obviously, accuracy would suffer at any distance, if the shooter was not always cognizant of the exact arrow orientation. Which frankly is impossible in a tree stand

For clarity, my vanes are quite heavily helical so there really wasn't much room to spin the arrow either way before a vane would contact. It didn't take much to turn the arrow out of alignment at all. Enough that, I'll be sticking with flat nocks for at least the foreseeable future.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I agree with Janesy I believe the half moon nocks would lead to more arrow wear. When I shot Barnett bows which use half moon nocks my arrows and nocks would develop grooves that got deeper with use. Not a good thing for accuracy.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

I am not contending that one is better than the other but please look at things with clarity. Almost every crossbow uses moon nocks with zero issues.
Chris, when the moon Lumenoks arrive, would you like me to send you one to test with?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Be interesting to see if the "nose up" lauch holds with moon or capture nocks too. I can see it with flats because the string might be slightly below center and be pushing the arrow up a bit. Moon or capture nocks should center the string a bit more.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:55 pm
I am not contending that one is better than the other but please look at things with clarity. Almost every crossbow uses moon nocks with zero issues.
Chris, when the moon Lumenoks arrive, would you like me to send you one to test with?
Ya for sure Don, I'll definately give them a go, same setup.

I agree, one is not better than the other. Its important to remember, and keep an open mind. Fact is, for all reading this, the bow I used for testing has essentially been optimized with a flat nock for decades... It really should work better.

What I should do is run the same test on my 370. That rail is smooth with cerakote elite on it. That would potentially alleviate the issue of the moon nock wearing faster. At least on this one bow.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:44 am
Matt, I forgot, I will be ordering more flat Lumenoks when I run out of the ones I have now. So don't think I'm running away from flat nocks.
LOL! Just rubbing you Buddy.
Regardless of what the tests might indicate, I commonly shoot 3" or less groups at 100 yards.
And I have taken a pretty good pile of game with my Excaliburs over the years.
All done with flat nocks.
And I am entirely unlikely to fix what ain't broke! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

It's safe to shoot half moon nocks from Excals assuming they're well indexed on the string?
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
Big45

Post by Big45 »

I’ve been thinking about using moon nocks also, I have 12 Bloodsport Witnesses I’ve been waiting to install flat nocks in. I’m located in Ontario and with all the shops closed I just don’t want to pay shipping considering it costs as much as the knocks themselves.
janesy

Post by janesy »

After running back to back comparison over the Chronograph using two arrows within .2 grains difference. I can report back with a fair amount of certainty that the speed in both cases was negligible at best.

Using BE flat nocks and BE moon nocks, I only recorded a difference of .4 fps in favor of the flat nock.

Using the Luminoc flats and Luminoc moon nocks I recorded the exact speed difference, again favoring the flat nock.

Two details that were obvious. Accuracy and average speed was degraded using the cheap BE moon nock unless good care was taken to ensure the nock was place parallel to the string. This, in my opinion would be counterintuitive for anyone other than controled long range shooting.

Using the Luminock Moon nock, however was easy and the design does a very good job of aligning the nock on the string. I do plan to hunt with them this season and will pay close attention to their performance in the field.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme