Aahh the decisions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Aahh the decisions

Post by longbow joe »

Sitting here wondering which bow gets to turkey hunt this year.
Leaning towards the sapphire nice n small in the doghouse definitely gonna go with the swat A-4 this spring it really tore up my fall bird last season.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Re: Aahh the decisions

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck Joe. I'm going to use a 20 gauge if I get out. The Kid is busy as can be, and he's taking a trip with his buddies to Missouri. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Good luck . I was going to use my axe or 308 short but with cancer treatment started I will be using my Stevens 301 410 turkey with TSS shells
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:32 pm
Good luck Joe. I'm going to use a 20 gauge if I get out. The Kid is busy as can be, and he's taking a trip with his buddies to Missouri. :eusa-popcorn:
20 for me as well.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

wish we had enough time and birds here, sure would like to try the micro. but gonna stick to the 20 here too.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
janesy

Post by janesy »

New 12bore Versamax should be back from the Smith any day now :twisted:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Cheaters!! :problem: :problem:

Just kidding of course... turkey's can be tough to get in range of the best patterning shotgun in the world... especially an Eastern bird!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

flinthead wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:11 am
Cheaters!! :problem: :problem:

Just kidding of course... turkey's can be tough to get in range of the best patterning shotgun in the world... especially an Eastern bird!!
I actually really enjoy shotgun turkey hunting. I've taken One bird with the bow, and went back to shot gun hunting. For me, I have small windows of time throughout my work day. And most frequently I find myself running and gunning with a mouth call and the 12Bore. :thumbup:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Killing a turkey with any kind of weapon is an accomplishment period no matter the weapon.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:35 pm
Killing a turkey with any kind of weapon is an accomplishment period no matter the weapon.
My Grandfather told us that all you needed was a salt shaker. you run the turkey down and get close enough to shake some on its tail and all you had to do then was to reach down and grab it by the legs But just dont let it beat you with its wings :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

onebigskittle wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:03 pm
longbow joe wrote:
My Grandfather told us that all you needed was a salt shaker. you run the turkey down and get close enough to shake some on its tail and all you had to do then was to reach down and grab it by the legs But just dont let it beat you with its wings :lol:
:lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
lituani

Post by lituani »

flinthead wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:11 am
Too many shotguns at hunt camp. Grabbed the wrong one last fall before deer season and headed out to ground blind for turkey. Yep, here they come from the pines. To my right, flew down from roost about 60 yards in. Started moving toward open field as usual but, instead of heading directly out in front of me (as they typically do), those rascals quartered behind me (where there is no window in the Ameristep, and a shrub to my left). Took them 15-20 minutes, but they finally circled around my back and started heading toward their usual trail. Except 2-3 of them took off on a run leaving the biggun still slowly sauntering behind my left quarter. Those 2-3 slowed down in front of me and stopped, about 30 yards out, waiting for big bird to catch up. Well, he took his time but eventually got there. They were all now walking directly away from me, presenting only a hiney shot. Well, I have ALOT of confidence in my 12ga slugger out to 50 yards punching 1" holes two inches above crosshairs, so I let fly at 35 yards at base of his neck. Score! Not quite decapitated, but 1 shot, 1 turkey. Love my Beretta!!

Turns out I didn't need my Remington 1187 turkey gun after all :D

Turkey hunting with a crossbow? May give it a try this fall. My vortex is more accurate than my Beretta at 30 yards, so perhaps another head/neck shot given the right conditions.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I got my permits in TPRofNJ.....but now with TPR of NY property needing so much attention not sure if I'll even be going....that is unless LBJ gives me back MoncoMorto.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

longbow joe wrote:
Amen to that, Joe!!! :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Turkey hunting is my thing. shot quite a few with my 870 and went to a recurve bow and now use a crossbow only with a Magnus Bull Head. the bow of my choice is my 310 Matrix with a 20" arrow with 5" feathers deadly combo. I gave all of my shot guns away to younger hunters.
W.M.