Hunting Thick Mountain Laurel

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Hunting Thick Mountain Laurel

Post by CT.HNTR »

I am looking to hunt a very large track of public land that is approximately 2,000 acres in size. It’s mostly hard woods with large numbers of red and white oak but what has caught my attention is an area of very thick mountain laurel and hemlock that is 200 – 300 acres in size. The mountain laurel and hemlock are so thick it’s difficult to get through it but it is loaded with deer sign. As it is so thick there are no defined deer trails so the deer just meander through the laurels.

As there are no distinct trails or destination spots, I am struggling with how to hunt the area.

I was wondering if anybody has experience hunting large areas of thick mountain laurel and if so, can you share some insight into tactics?

Thanks,
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Hillcountry

Re: Hunting Thick Mountain Laurel

Post by Hillcountry »

I have seen YouTube’s of PA hunters setting up just outside the laurel edges...deer came out at dusk...bang! :mrgreen:
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Hillcountry wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:41 am
I have seen YouTube’s of PA hunters setting up just outside the laurel edges...deer came out at dusk...bang! :mrgreen:
That's a solid strategy. When I hunted in northern Frederick County in Maryland, they had plenty of laurel thickets. When hunting pressure picked up, the deer certainly spent more time up in the thickets. If you can find an aerial photo of the area taken in the winter you've struck gold. Once all of the leaves are off you can more clearly identify exactly where the thickets are. Occasionally you can find small bare spots inside the thickets with food sources. Getting in to them may not be easy, but they are a great place when the hunting pressure increases.

Another option is finding travel corridors between thickets. Sometimes it can be a ridge top or a slough bed between two laurel thickets where the laurel is sparse. Look for rubs and/or scrapes to help identify these areas. If you can find these places between their hideouts, you can really have some good luck when the deer are moving.

It also doesn't hurt to grunt or rattle in the right conditions to help lure a buck out of the thick cover.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

challenge for sure...probly mostly bedding and hideaways. id hunt the fringes or transitions with those thickets. if your inside the thicket shooting lanes may be an issue. i would get out after the season when theres snow on the ground and what you think is a mess of a maze im sure your still gonna find preferred heavy trails coming in and out. use satellite maps too look for features in the thick mess.i once crawled into a spot that after first 100 yards opened into to some nice open with trails. you may find an island or transitions within the laurel thicks but gotta be careful to not push them out or have them pattern you come hunt time. find a few spots to try and dont over hunt one spot.make sure the wind isint blowing your scent into the heavy if hunting the edges.youll probly have to put in a few seasons of learning this new ground but thats the fun...
artifact

Post by artifact »

Somewhere in that laurel are deer trails, you may even need to lightly prune your way into a spot and find a decent tree overlooking a deer trail, find a shooting lane near the trail, or find a small opening where they travel through. For the most part, we hunt the edges of laurel or rhododendron trying to catch them going in or out, they don't live fulltime in there.
Hunting the Poconos of Pa I've had plenty of encounters with both laurel and rhododendron, some good and some not so good! :lol:
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Thanks for the advice everybody. Lot's of good suggestions. It's definitely challenging but I think the the laurel has possibilities. I like the idea of hunting the edges especially on the side that has large oak stands adjacent. My guess is the deer start to filter out in the late afternoon into the oaks to feed on acorns. I need to set up some trail cameras this fall to confirm. Also I need to get into the area in the winter with snow on the ground to get a better sense of movement patterns.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
janesy

Post by janesy »

Snow will tell you the tail. I always scout cornfields at first snow fall. After the corn is removed the deer will continue to walk the same trails they used all summer for weeks into the snow fall. And you get a well worn map of their travel corridors
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

As artifact said going in ahead of time and establishing shooting lanes is key to success...especially in archery season.
Sometimes very boring 😴 to hunt but often rewarding especially during gun season.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.