So what would you recommend in an older bow?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

learn2flyfish

So what would you recommend in an older bow?

Post by learn2flyfish »

I know there are some differences in rail material. I'm not sure that matters but it might and I would like opinions. I believe that the bows with the lighter draw weight should provide more longevity in limb, string and serving life but I may be wrong here too.

I had a little brown Vixen once that I wish I had never sold. I'm looking hard at an Ibex (175 lb draw) and a Vortex (200 lb draw IIRC).

Also, does anyone do any small game hunting with their crossbow?

Thanks,
Paul
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
onebigskittle

Re: So what would you recommend in an older bow?

Post by onebigskittle »

The 175lb and 200lb exo series are hard to beat so that is a real hard one to answer. I would buy eighter one and some good Blackeagle crossbow bolts and a good string from one of the forums string makers.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I don't leave the house with the intent on only small game hunting. But when there are way more squirrels than deer on a hot afternoon hunt, having an extra handful of arrows with blunt tips is a fun way to pass the time. It's certainly will test your shooting accuracy.

Regarding your question about the relationship between draw weight and serving wear, my experience is been perfectly in line with your thinking. Serving wear has increased as draw weight has increased. Though I've never had to change my string on my Matrix due to serving wear, there was even less wear on my ExoMax. And the ExoMax was one of the higher draw weights on the wide bodies. Serving wear should almost be a non-issue on a Vixen.

But, other than my 400 TD, I really haven't had a model that was really tough on servings.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

I wouldn't try to distinguish limb life between any of the Exo series bows. That'd be like buying a car that will have a drivetrain that lasts 2 million miles over one that lasts 1.5 million miles.... It doesn't matter cause the body is going to rust out by 300k.

If getting an Exo bow, just get the one that feels best to you and shoots satisfactory for your needs and any one will outlive you.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I love my exo bows in the last year l basically mothballed all my matrix bows.
"You like what you like " it's really that simple no explanation needed.
I'm also convinced that the exo bows are more forgiving and more accurate than the others especially with a better trigger. They are definitely easy on the string wear by a million miles and without a doubt quieter than all the others lf you can deal with the length its a no Brainer.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

If you can find a metal rail Ibex, get it!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

flinthead wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:22 am
If you can find a metal rail Ibex, get it!
Yep, or a Vortex, I cannot tell the difference between 175 or 200 pounds really, but that extra inch at the end is noticeable if you''re 5'8" or shorter. :think:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I have an Exocet 175. I haven’t advertised it but it could be had if someone wanted it. You can PM me for details if you wish
Boo

Post by Boo »

Two hundred pounds to me was the perfect bow for wear and tear on the limbs, string, serving, target and killing power. I bet you could kill an elephant with it and at the same time can withstand dry-fires.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I wouldn't call it small game hunting, but I did shoot a few chipmonks in my back yard with the 310. :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: