lost deer/rotted

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chessy

lost deer/rotted

Post by chessy »

going to come clean it was me that posted about the deer at the butchers http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=7203 . I am sad to say that we think we lost all 7 deer one of my hunting partners went there today and the deer were in the same spot he left and called the health inspector. My hunting partner said he thinks the meat is lost it is very slimmy now .I cant belive we lost our meat ,i wish now that i had not pulled the trigger on the 2 deer i shot ...now here is the million dollar question ... what would you guys do next
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

If the health inspector is involved, have him call you with the results of his inspection.

You may get sound opinions from the forum, but remember, you have to connect them with the fact situation. Ideally, the person offering the opinion should also be the one actually seeing and smelling......

Good Luck, Buddy.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Personally, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth :x :x :x .

The only game animal I've taken and not butchered myself is a deer, but it is does not intimidate me. All the deer I've taken to date, I took to a family friend who charged $20/deer to butcher. That's the only reason I've never done it myself.

This year, deer willing, I will butcher one myself. What's the worst that can happen???? You end up with a lot of sausage or stew meat! But you know it was not wasted.

Seven deer???? That's a real shame. If the guy was too busy, the least he could have done was be up front so you could make alternate arrangements.

Just my 2cents.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I think it is illegal to let game meat spoil that is fit for human consumption at least in Ontario. Read the hunting regulations. I'm not sure how this would play out but where is your tag now?
ed martin

rotting meat

Post by ed martin »

Please tell me thats not scott s in roseneath that let your deer rot?

Post by guest »

I'm sure that all of us on here take good care of our harvest in field dressing it and making sure that it is properly cleaned for the butcher when it comes time for him to process it. This is very important as eventually the meat will end up on our tables for consumption. After we take all necessary precautions mentioned above and drop our meat off to the butcher's we should'nt have to worry about the meat not being properly cared for, mainly for health reasons. Like someone mentioned above and I mentioned in my post on the other thread dated Nov.20 6:26 pm if he treats wild game in this fashion one must wonder if he cares for domestic game also that way when he outta have known better. It's a shame that a person in his profession would handle meat this way. I am totally discusted what a shame and waste and lack of respect. I do not blame your hunting buddy in doing the right thing, taking action and reporting him to the proper authorities. I would take the same action and put a stop to his unsanitary methods of handling meat.

just my 2 cents worth

Post by Guest »

well what has the butcher to say about all this?
is he persisting that everything is OK?
Cousneddy

Post by Cousneddy »

Slimey meat is not a good thing. I'm sorry for your situation, but you now have an obligation to turn this guy in and let others in the area know what he is doing. I can understand how you feel about not wanting to cause trouble, but remember, you did cause it! As sportsman we have to do what we can to help each other out. What if this is not the first time he had let someone's hard earned deer meat spoil? It will probably not be his last time to ruin someones harvest. Can you get your tags back? I know I would do everything I could to get them back!

There have been 3 new deer processing places open around me in the past 3 years. It is because the oldest and largest started getting careless. I'm not paying someone for hair and bone in my sausage and burger!

IMHO, turn this nasty buther in and get the word out!

Post by Guest »

7 deers is a lot of work.

think about it?
time off work
gas and vehicle use to the hunting area.
lodging
food for the week
new equipment or ammo for the hunt.
time away from family
Lots of $$$$

Let us know who he is so we do not go there.
A.W

Post by A.W »

If he treated your meat like that who's to say he doesn't treat all meat the same way. Somebody could get real sick because of this guy.
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
JD Jones

handling of deer

Post by JD Jones »

By all means get the health folk and the game department involved. If this person has let your deer go bad he/she deserves the full punishment of law!
Sorry this has happened to you.
JD
The best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a horse.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

You may get sound opinions from the forum, but remember, you have to connect them with the fact situation. Ideally, the person offering the opinion should also be the one actually seeing and smelling......
upbove quoted by Hi5....

I think you should check this out for your self and if found to be true get the proper people involved in getting the matter taken care of. If this is a fact the person should not be in bussiness. I would think they would be concerned about some one getting sick from a poor job done and being sued. I would sure get something done about it :!:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
peter p

Post by peter p »

I would get the health inspectors, the ministry of natural resources and anybody else that I can, involved in this.
This is bad.
Cousneddy

Post by Cousneddy »

Cousneddy wrote:Slimey meat is not a good thing. I'm sorry for your situation, but you now have an obligation to turn this guy in and let others in the area know what he is doing. I can understand how you feel about not wanting to cause trouble, but remember, you did not cause it! As sportsman we have to do what we can to help each other out. What if this is not the first time he had let someone's hard earned deer meat spoil? It will probably not be his last time to ruin someones harvest. Can you get your tags back? I know I would do everything I could to get them back!

There have been 3 new deer processing places open around me in the past 3 years. It is because the oldest and largest started getting careless. I'm not paying someone for hair and bone in my sausage and burger!

IMHO, turn this nasty buther in and get the word out!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Better Business Bureau? If he is accepting money for his services and he does not follow through with what you have paid for or have seeked this person out for then call them.

MNR? As the other have said, letting meat spoil is against the law. You didn't let it spoil, the butcher did. Let them(MNR) know this.

Small Claims Court? 7 deer wasted, plus the time, money, effort and anticipation that went into getting the deer in the first place.