Equinox versus micro mag 340

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sagedoc

Equinox versus micro mag 340

Post by sagedoc »

Hi everyone,
I have been using an equinox for years and I am thinking of getting a smaller limb bow for smaller blinds. I can use my rope puller on the equinox ok, but was wondering how much tougher if any the pull of the micro mag 340 would be. My equinox is less poundage but a longer pull than the higher poundage but shorter pull of the 340. I am trying to avoid an external cocking aid and was hoping that if I could pull the equinox back, the shorter but higher poundage 340 wouldn’t be too bad. There is no one near me that has one in stock, so I am having to buy on opinion only. They say that this is a beginner crossbow, so could a average 15 year old be able to pull it back with the rope puller as well? If so, that may seal the deal as well. Thanks in advance!
longbow joe

Re: Equinox versus micro mag 340

Post by longbow joe »

In my opinion they will pull "equally " in your mind.
The newer bow will be a shorter stroke and appear to lock up quicker than the longer exo bow.no worries .
Don't sell the exo bow someday you will regret it.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

sagedoc wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:17 pm
Hi everyone,
I have been using an equinox for years and I am thinking of getting a smaller limb bow for smaller blinds. I can use my rope puller on the equinox ok, but was wondering how much tougher if any the pull of the micro mag 340 would be. My equinox is less poundage but a longer pull than the higher poundage but shorter pull of the 340. I am trying to avoid an external cocking aid and was hoping that if I could pull the equinox back, the shorter but higher poundage 340 wouldn’t be too bad. There is no one near me that has one in stock, so I am having to buy on opinion only. They say that this is a beginner crossbow, so could a average 15 year old be able to pull it back with the rope puller as well? If so, that may seal the deal as well. Thanks in advance!
The micros feel different in that they start out stout, and get slightly worse, then it's over. The longer the limb the slower the effort comes on.
The mag 340 is more than manageable for most people, but at the same time, after 10 or so shots it can start to become uncomfortable. Micros are hunting bows and I don't think anyone really intended on them being shot all day long.

I would say the average 15 year old would have to use some pretty solid technique to cock the mag consistently and repetitively But at the same time, it wouldn't be long before they'd be all over it. That would be a good question to run past "XB I GO", a young member on this forum. I think he would be the current resident expert on youth and crossbows. I believe he has somewhat recently made similar upgrades that you are considering

My personal opinion ... get one, they are awesome bows! The best bang for the buck out there.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:27 pm
sagedoc wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:17 pm
Hi everyone,
The micros feel different in that they start out stout, and get slightly worse, then it's over. The longer the limb the slower the effort comes on.
The mag 340 is more than manageable for most people, but at the same time, after 10 or so shots it can start to become uncomfortable. Micros are hunting bows and I don't think anyone really intended on them being shot all day long.

I would say the average 15 year old would have to use some pretty solid technique to cock the mag consistently and repetitively But at the same time, it wouldn't be long before they'd be all over it. That would be a good question to run past "XB I GO", a young member on this forum. I think he would be the current resident expert on youth and crossbows. I believe he has somewhat recently made similar upgrades that you are considering

My personal opinion ... get one, they are awesome bows! The best bang for the buck out there.
And you could get the crank and make it very enjoyable. JMHO
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

I could pull my Ibex no problem, but I can not pull my 340 AXE
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

My wife can draw an Ibex/Phoenix/Axiom no problem, and a GRZ2 super easy, but cannot get a 308 Short drawn back, poundage was too much even with the short draw. Also couldn't draw back my Vortex, not because of the poundage, but because of the long pull. My guess is if I had a Matrix 330 she would be able to get that, showing that the matrix line is the sweet spot for ease of draw vs fps.

That being said, get the Mag 340 anyway, they're awesome!
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Boo

Post by Boo »

The shooters height really effects the ease of cocking. Most people 6' or so will not see the Mag 340 as difficult. As always, technique is key.
Some people just like stepping on rakes