The Rig (aka Notawheelchair)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: The Rig (aka Notawheelchair)

Post by Boo »

amythntr wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:34 am
....what is this thang called if one was interested in it?
I can picture you on one of these Anthony but I just don't see where you're going to put the stogie holder :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tyler, is there enough torque to pull a deer out? I thinking one of these may come in handy for you
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

amythntr wrote:
It actually is called "notawheelchair" https://notawheelchair.com/

It's far from perfect, getting in to tight spots and turning around in the woods will require mauevering much like an ATV, I'll have to be careful not to expose it to much water, and it doesn't have the traction that a tracked wheelchair does. But, the major deciding factors for me are it's 1/3 cost compared to tracked chairs, 1/3 the weight for much easier transport, and 3X the speed so I'll be able to use this on the trails with the kids and be able to keep up. There are other off road mobility options that have come up over the years, but this is the first one that attempted to use more common parts and keep the price reasonably, and it just took the popularity of e-bikes these days to make it a reality.

So yeah, I'm excited for this fall, first time I'll be able to easily be able to get to my spots without the noise of an atv or vehicle. I haven't had a problem being able to "get deer", but the noise has made it tough to get the target bucks to come by me. This will help get me there, is the plan.

Most of the time I hunt I'll have someone with me or at least helping me get set. So for that all I really will need to set up is a good shooting rest. And we plan on using a ghostblind setup around it to conceal me.

But other times I plan on rolling right from home and having brush blinds set up in advance that I can roll right into, so I can hunt without needing to coordinate any help. More mods will be needed for that so I can carry crossbow and gear and be able to get all set up once I get into the brush blind.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Boo wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 am
amythntr wrote:
I can picture you on one of these Anthony but I just don't see where you're going to put the stogie holder :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tyler, is there enough torque to pull a deer out? I thinking one of these may come in handy for you
Based on my initial ride, I would say it does not have enough torque to pull a deer. But I think I am going to try an locate a larger driven sprocket for it for the fall, since it looks like there is room for it, will cut down on my top speed but give me a big boost in torque.

If I were to work on my lasso abilities to hook up to a deer while still seated in the rig, a winch like that might be useful ;)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
artifact

Post by artifact »

Watched the video and it looks pretty ideal for your needs, good luck using it.
Two things came to mind :eusa-think:, wonder if some weight over the back drive wheels would help with traction since the majority of the weight is forward, and wondering if a bicycle shop could install multiple sprockets like the old 2 speed's, which would increase torque if needed but still have the higher speed available. Maybe neither thought is a viable one, but something that I would be looking into if I were using one.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

artifact wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:41 am
Watched the video and it looks pretty ideal for your needs, good luck using it.
Two things came to mind :eusa-think:, wonder if some weight over the back drive wheels would help with traction since the majority of the weight is forward, and wondering if a bicycle shop could install multiple sprockets like the old 2 speed's, which would increase torque if needed but still have the higher speed available. Maybe neither thought is a viable one, but something that I would be looking into if I were using one.
Weight over the back will definitely help. Which is where they have it set up with some mounting points to carry gear and for that exact reason. Which is my plan.

For the gearing, it is a solid rear axle, and I suppose if I really really wanted I could design and have someone fabricate me a bracket that a derailier could mount to. Depending on how it does with just a single larger driven sprocket, or a smaller drive sprocket, I'd consider a multi speed if warranted. Certainly going to be fun to play around with it.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

grouse wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 am
That thing looks unstoppable! Too bad the Fall is so far off.
looks awesome for bare ground! but im betting snow will be an issue with the skinny tires and 2 wheel drive?
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
artifact

Post by artifact »

Where there's a will there's a way, GOOGLE DIY bike tire chains. It looks like they use short sections of small chain and zip tie them on, don't know how good they will work but should be of some benefit in snow if needed.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

artifact wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:26 pm
Where there's a will there's a way, GOOGLE DIY bike tire chains. It looks like they use short sections of small chain and zip tie them on, don't know how good they will work but should be of some benefit in snow if needed.
Deaf jeff wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:16 pm
grouse wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 am
That thing looks unstoppable! Too bad the Fall is so far off.
looks awesome for bare ground! but im betting snow will be an issue with the skinny tires and 2 wheel drive?
They have a video on their youtube channel addressing snow....it will go through a little, but not much. They are well aware of it's limitations and not afraid to admit what they are, which I appreciate. Not common for companies these days to do that.

Even though I live in MN, only once in the last 10 years have we had enough during hunting season to affect things. I still have the 4x4 atv's available for when the snow gets a little deep, or tracked vehicles available for when it gets really deep. 95% of the places I hunt I'll have no problem accessing with the rig.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
tremps01

Post by tremps01 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:49 am
longbow joe wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:12 pm
That's awesome Tyler. 👌l hope it's lucky for you!
Looks bada$$.
X2.
X3
Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
janesy

Post by janesy »

wheelsquad wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:24 pm
The Rig (as I'm going to call it) came today. I'll post mods for hunting here as I get them done. But even without a single mod or customization, I can already say this thing is going to be a hunting game changer for me. I'm glad I held out on getting a tracked wheelchair all these years. This thing is much more up my alley (and 1/3 the cost).

Looks like making a gun/crossbow rest will be super easy to do, so I'll be drawing up some ideas for that and work out the kinks before actually building anything. Transferring into it was easy, but I'm going to scrap the velcro feet straps for some 3D printed foot cradles that will be easier to get my feet in and out of, yet still be secure.
Very cool, looking forward to the reviews and mods!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

wheelsquad wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm
Screen grab from a short video we took going through the sugar sand. I have a power chair I modified with deep lug roto tiller tires and double wide front casters, and that thing gets stuck in this sand in 0 seconds flat.

The rig made it through, forward, backward, turning without the slightest slip of the tires.

The exact model and color I went with:
Mr. Tyler that thing looks awesome!! :thumbup:
Looking forward to seeing all the "extras" you manage to add to it!!
I was wondering if you thought about a blind for hunting that you could open and just drive the whole rig in and hunt from that position? :eusa-think:
I know there are some some manufactures that make blinds that open completely on one side. Don't know if it would be a large enough blind, or not. :think:

ANYWAY....I wish you GREAT success in all you do!! :thumbup:
Be safe out there!!

Once more...AWESOME MACHINE!! :thumbup: :clap:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

AJ01 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:12 am
wheelsquad wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 pm
Screen grab from a short video we took going through the sugar sand. I have a power chair I modified with deep lug roto tiller tires and double wide front casters, and that thing gets stuck in this sand in 0 seconds flat.

The rig made it through, forward, backward, turning without the slightest slip of the tires.

The exact model and color I went with:
Mr. Tyler that thing looks awesome!! :thumbup:
Looking forward to seeing all the "extras" you manage to add to it!!
I was wondering if you thought about a blind for hunting that you could open and just drive the whole rig in and hunt from that position? :eusa-think:
I know there are some some manufactures that make blinds that open completely on one side. Don't know if it would be a large enough blind, or not. :think:

ANYWAY....I wish you GREAT success in all you do!! :thumbup:
Be safe out there!!

Once more...AWESOME MACHINE!! :thumbup: :clap:
AJ
Yeah depending on where I'l be hunting and what help I have, etc. will determine what kind of blind setup I'll be using. Like when I'm just going out from home and by myself, we'll have a few brush blinds set up that I can just pull right into and shoot over.

When I'm hunting on the property of the company I work for and I don't know where I'll be going until I get there, I have one of these to set in front of me and shoot over: https://ghostblind.com/product/ghostblind-phantom-blind/ and thinking about getting a taller one to set up behind me to prevent from spooking a deer that may come from behind me, and hopefully get a shot off once they get to the side and aproach in front of me.

I'm all eyes and ears if you guys have other blind ideas that you think might work! There's more out there that I am not aware of than aware!

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

I don't think it will work for me,
I got too much brush to maneuver around in,
but I still want to see the mods, good luck with it. :thumbup:

Dave :eusa-popcorn: :eusa-popcorn:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

I found a stogie holder for it ! :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Had some success this morning in Wisconsin. My brother put his Micro 355 to use on a Jake. Shot was 27 yds. The bird didn't go 20 😁

Used The Rig all weekend too getting to and from the blind. We rigged up a makeshift attachment for it to pull the wheelchair behind me, so once we got to the blind I would transfer into the chair and then he hid the rig in the brush.

Video of the shot:
https://youtu.be/r6n4Ja3FRgI

After we were tagged out, had a little time to do some exploring and testing in the rig since I had never been to this property before. Went through some rocky areas, a shallow stream crossing, and some low areas and also climbed the biggest hill on the property (but still not a very big hill). Took it all in stride. Sure was nice to have easy SILENT transport to the blind in the mornings since we didn't know how close the turkeys were roosting.
Last edited by wheelsquad on Sat May 15, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Franken360