Field Test for CWD Being Developed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Field Test for CWD Being Developed

Post by IronNoggin »

Rather interesting news. Should alleviate most of the timeline lags if this works out!

University of Minnesota researchers develop novel, field-deployable test for CWD

University of Minnesota researchers at the Minnesota Center for Prion Research (MNPRO) have developed a novel approach to field testing chronic wasting disease (CWD). The team confirmed their findings in southeast Minnesota the week of March 8, 2021, making them the first-ever scientists to successfully deploy a CWD field test.

There are limited testing options available for CWD, leading scientists to investigate several new approaches with the hopes of obstructing the disease’s spread. Last spring, the MNPRO team worked with the Minnesota DNR to analyze tissue samples from CWD-positive white-tailed deer using a technique known as RT-QuIC. The team managed to obtain confirmation of protein-misfolding in just nine hours with that approach. Only a handful of labs currently have access to this top-of-the-line technology for CWD testing.

Now, the MNPRO researchers have developed a new assay that generates a color change of red for a positive CWD result and blue for negative. They have named the test “MN-QuIC” to honor the state of Minnesota, where the test was developed.

https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-events/university-minnesota-researchers-develop-novel-field-deployable-test-cwd
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
janesy

Re: Field Test for CWD Being Developed

Post by janesy »

IronNoggin wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:13 pm
Rather interesting news. Should alleviate most of the timeline lags if this works out!

University of Minnesota researchers develop novel, field-deployable test for CWD

University of Minnesota researchers at the Minnesota Center for Prion Research (MNPRO) have developed a novel approach to field testing chronic wasting disease (CWD). The team confirmed their findings in southeast Minnesota the week of March 8, 2021, making them the first-ever scientists to successfully deploy a CWD field test.

There are limited testing options available for CWD, leading scientists to investigate several new approaches with the hopes of obstructing the disease’s spread. Last spring, the MNPRO team worked with the Minnesota DNR to analyze tissue samples from CWD-positive white-tailed deer using a technique known as RT-QuIC. The team managed to obtain confirmation of protein-misfolding in just nine hours with that approach. Only a handful of labs currently have access to this top-of-the-line technology for CWD testing.

Now, the MNPRO researchers have developed a new assay that generates a color change of red for a positive CWD result and blue for negative. They have named the test “MN-QuIC” to honor the state of Minnesota, where the test was developed.

https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-events/university-minnesota-researchers-develop-novel-field-deployable-test-cwd
They should make arrow wraps laced with the colour changing material and you'd know before you found the deer.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

CWD first appeared or was noticed about the time I bought my 72 acres of woods in SW Wisconsin in 2002. 18 years later (November/2020) I had my first positive deer (nice 8 point buck taken during the opening day of gun season). A very good friend has had two positives (2019 positive buck/opening day of archery season & a 2020 doe taken during our late season Holiday hunt).

I had taken my buck last fall to the meat locker. The majority of it was ground up with some beef tallow added. I literally put the all the meat my freezer, sat down by my computer, and noticed the new DNR email stating my deer had tested positive. This event will change how I hunt & process deer from now on. On a slight positive note, a replacement buck tag is given that is good through the upcoming 2021 season, too.

A field test for CWD would be wonderful.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I wonder how much they will cost? Shelf life? Margin of error (compared to lab analysis)?

I can see how it would be handy for a hunter to do a quick test and then know whether to dress out an animal and spend money processing it. If they are reliable enough, just having them in the hands of the CO's would be a big benefit.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

It doesn't sound to me like it is a "field test" every hunter can buy, but rather a "field test" where testing can be done by professionals at the check in station or what have you so tissue does not have to be sent to a lab.

I'm all for the hunter carried version, but that looks to be far away. There is another guy (Frank Bastain) who thought he would have exactly that.....his research is not "mainstream" as he says CWD is caused by bacteria and not a prion (misfolded protein). So $$$ for his research is harder to get.

Here is an article

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/features/ground-breaking-study-could-reveal-true-cause-of-deer-killing-disease/article_2a18d7a3-4d8a-5f20-b04d-e47e14b76aee.html
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Driftless hunter

Post by Driftless hunter »

nchunterkw wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:37 pm
It doesn't sound to me like it is a "field test" every hunter can buy, but rather a "field test" where testing can be done by professionals at the check in station or what have you so tissue does not have to be sent to a lab.
Any test that can be done with somewhat quick results would be an improvement.

Currently, we are taking cut off deer heads to kiosks locations throughout the area. You tag/bag your head & call a number to make sure it gets picked up. The results come weeks later. If it is gun season, the results may be somewhat longer to get, too.

Since Wisconsin has eliminated registration stations for deer & turkeys (gone to electronic registration of game harvests), this is the current plan we have in place.

I questioned the elimination of registration stations, because more hunters would be inclined to do CWD testing at them. Lack of registration stations also eliminates the possibility of reinstating earn-a-buck, because some would surely try to cheat with electronic registration. Even with the old system, they had to start cutting ears off because some tried to cheat the system (register the same doe at two different locations within the same county).

An affordable field test would be nice. Timelines for COVID testing were surely reduced quite fast, and CWD has been around much longer. I realize we are talking prions verse a virus, too. It's not the same. I'd paid a certain amount to know the work of cutting up a deer or paying to have is done isn't done in vain.