Very hard turkey year for us here but the fishing is on fire.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Very hard turkey year for us here but the fishing is on fire.

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/yWNrFQyy]Image
The fishing hear has been on fire every time out its been good.Here is a 6,ll oz. Caught on a light action charlie brewer slider rod wit 6lb line....what a battle it was.
For some of you in other states this bass is a minnow but here I. Pa it's a goodun
Work for me has been crazy busy but I'm still getting out for turkey ...just not seeing big birds .
I have had many Jake's in crossbow range but let them pass the gobblers were everywhere a week before the season there's no hunting pressure here so that's not a factor they just are in other areas.
Many hunting friends are having a very tough season also.
I noticed some of the other turkey hunters on the forum aren't having success either. This is really something
For me very puzzling where they all went.
Now work is so crazy morning hunts are getting impossible so it might be a bust year for me.
I'm....Almost over it.lol.
Money and paying the bills during this crazy pandemic year is really important I'm grateful to be buisy we are having major issues acquiring parts every one is blaming China for the shutdown its so sad that they have so much power over us we just let this happen and no one cares now to remedy it very very sad!
Last edited by longbow joe on Mon May 24, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
elkaholic

Re: Very hard turkey year for us here but the fishing is on fire.

Post by elkaholic »

Nice LM !

I'm still a month away from my fishn hole in N.Wisc.

Renting a cottage this yr. Have to walk 40 yrds to private dock.

Stocking up on my topwater tackle and wacky worm.

Spinner baits for pike.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nice! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Seems this year for us . Gobble on the roost , then hit the ground and shut up .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
grouse

Post by grouse »

Turkey hunting was tough here too! I had two gobblers gobbling in my woods the morning before opening morning but I never saw or heard a gobbler during the season (I only hunted three mornings). Fishing has been good here too! The other evening I went below a nearby spillway and tied on two 1/16 oz crappie jigs about 15" apart. I quit after keeping 15 big crappie (one was 14 1/2"), but 3 different times I caught two fish on one cast. We're going to have a big fish fry this coming (Memorial Day) weekend but I don't need any more fish - the freezer is full.
axiom
350 SE
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Grouse I'm not a big fan of fish but crappie and walleye filets are just plain good.
I have been doing a beer and egg dip with a combination of bread crums and crushed walnuts.
That's about as good as l have come up with but I'm always up to a new recipe.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Crushed honey nut cheerios ,
grouse

Post by grouse »

The crushed walnuts and the honey nut cheerios both sound good. I'll give them both a try. We're feeding about 25 people at this Sunday's fish fry so I'll go with Andy's fish breading for that. I'll still have plenty of fillets left (it's been a good spring) to try some new combinations.

I'll add one more species to the really good fish category. When bluegill get big enough to fillet, they are as good as crappie and walleye and they're a blast to catch on 4 lb. line.
axiom
350 SE
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

grouse wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 8:38 am
The crushed walnuts and the honey nut cheerios both sound good. I'll give them both a try. We're feeding about 25 people at this Sunday's fish fry so I'll go with Andy's fish breading for that. I'll still have plenty of fillets left (it's been a good spring) to try some new combinations.

I'll add one more species to the really good fish category. When bluegill get big enough to fillet, they are as good as crappie and walleye and they're a blast to catch on 4 lb. line.
X 2 on the bluegill, they are my favorite , 2nd only to crappie. :thumbup:

Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
artifact

Post by artifact »

Nice Pa bass Joe!
I haven't even gone turkey hunting, lost 2 prime spots that I had access to for almost all my life for various outdoor activities in the last couple years, and it seems like the other places I knew there were turkeys have gone to crap! Awhile back I would have gobblers in the yard almost every year, this year not a one, even though there were 8 hens showing up on occasion.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Hard spring turkey hunting this year is right. They won’t answer our calls, won’t cross over fields as they always do, seems to me they are being educated. But after numerous mornings finally jackpot caught them sneaking behind me and you guess it he didn’t have a chance at 12 yards! Next day he was good eat’n :thumbup:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers