String wax

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: String wax

Post by Boo »

When I make string for myself I use silicone on both the serving and string itself. But afterwards I don't normally wax my servings or my strings because I'm lazy and I just make another or reserve. I was talking to Excalibur's senior engineer and their tests show that serving life is doubled when treated. I might be wrong but i think that the thought of not waxing servings comes from Danny Miller, Excalibur's string maker. His main fear is that excess wax will end up in the trigger unit and he is right. There is a false theory that wax or silicone will soften servings. The string and serving is comprised of polyethylene derivatives (UHMWPE and HDPE). Polyethylene (PE) is the same stuff that holds acids, acetone, water, alcohol etc. There is no string, serving or deck lube that will break it down. What allows serving to stay on a string is mechanical pressure so if your string separated it it was either not put on tight enough or it didn't have enough twists to keep the serving tight. If serving does come loose when a lube is added, it still wasn't on tight enough.
Wax your string and serving. Use just enough to make it look wet, nothing more and leaving nothing on the surface. Make sure you have enough twists and make sure if you reserve your self (which you should), put it on as tight as you can without breaking it. When I say serving I mean 0.036" Angel Majesty.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Toyotun04 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:24 pm
He told me the more I shoot it, the more string issues I'd have. I told him to order me another string. He had a couple micro strings there and he said they wouldn't fit my bow, suppresser 400 td. I'd like to try one one of the flemish strings, thanks. When I get the new string I'll measure and get back to you. I've just watched so many youtube videos and talked to several people, lightly wax your serving and string, use rail lube, don't use rail lube. It's pretty confusing.
First of all...WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! :thumbup:

Next, I too use "String Snot" and "Rail Snot". I have had absolutely zero issues with either product. Been using them for years. I want that rail so slick and ant can't crawl on it!! :lol:
I shoot a Micro Suppressor 355 most of the time. The short limbs and high pressure put on the serving seems to be the main culprit in serving wear on the Micro series bows. :eusa-think:
Also as Chris said, it is possible you might have some rough spots on the latches. Only some posted pic of the worn/damaged serving will someone be able to diagnose if this issue or not.
I shoot my Micro as much as I can. I hunt year round in Texas. Whether it's hogs, exotics or whitetails, I'm in the field. :lol:
If I only shot my Micro a 100 times a year, my wife would think there was something wrong with me!! :eusa-doh:

And yes...Welcome to the Tundra Club also. I drive a 2017. :mrgreen: Bought my 1st 4 wheel drive 'Yote in 1992. Been in one ever since.

Deep from the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods :eusa-dance:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Here is a pic of my baby, upgraded from a Taco last year. I like to hear the exhaust, so I put a flowmaster kit on my Taco, and a couple other goodies recommended by my Toyota nut buddy. Love that Gray from Toyota too!
Back to strings. You can over cock the bow as well which is simply pulling the string too hard against the back of the trigger. You'll find what works for you. Let me know what colors you like, or if you want me to make you a camo one. Take care, and ask questions here, these guys will tell you what they do & what works for them. :thumbup:
[url=https://postimages.org/]Image

[url=https://postimg.cc/7JwnZZL2]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

You guys with your Tachoma remind me of the good days with mine that I had for 180,000 kms and 13 years! It was a great, reliable crew cab truck. It drove from Ontario to Texas and Arkansas several times. It was unbeatable in snow and mud. The interior was like new because the front seats had 2 sets of seat covers and the rear that held up to 4 dogs always had covers :crazy: . All I ever did to it is change oils, filters, plugs, brakes and one alternator. It sucked back gas like it was going out of style :crazy: . I was going to buy another but the frame perforated and Toyota told me to suck rocks. So I bought a diesel GMC Caynon Denali. :eusa-dance: I now get upto 1100 kms per tank! :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The V6 Taco got 16 mpg combined and the V8 Tundra gets 14.6 combined, :eusa-think:
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 am
The V6 Taco got 16 mpg combined and the V8 Tundra gets 14.6 combined, :eusa-think:
Both the same body configuration? The Tundra does not have the same good reliability/longevity history.
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:59 am
I'm pretty sure it takes 14.6L to start the Tundra. :lol: Fantastic trucks, but fuel economy is not what they are best known for.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Toyotun04

Post by Toyotun04 »

That's the same color as my truck. I bought it new in 2004. As said oil changes, plugs, brakes, filters is about all I've done to it. I have hit several deer in it, had a John deer hit me once. It's still going strong at 262,??? miles. I get my wife's Subaru outback paid off going to look for another one. As far as strings I'm going to try the lightly waxed serving scenario and see how that pans out.
Excalibur micro suppresser 400td, 16.5 inch zombie slayers, slik trik 150 gr. crossbow broadheads
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Here is my 20yr old Tundra. Still looks brand new.I have new tires, new plugs, changed rear diff oil, flushed and filled radiator. I have the 4.7 V8, the big 5.7 V8’s suck gas.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Toyotun04

Post by Toyotun04 »

Yours looks better than mine! It still starts and gets the job done, IM HAPPY!!
Excalibur micro suppresser 400td, 16.5 inch zombie slayers, slik trik 150 gr. crossbow broadheads
Toyotun04

Post by Toyotun04 »

Are all serving jigs the same or what's a good one to get into and what type/ size serving string/ thread do I need to look at?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Toyotun04 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 1:43 pm
Are all serving jigs the same or what's a good one to get into and what type/ size serving string/ thread do I need to look at?
This is the best one for the center serving http://www.outerlimitarchery.com/extra-serving-jig-for-moto/
The best serving is 0.036" Angel Majesty which you can get from Danny Miller in Ohio 740 483 2312
Toyotun04

Post by Toyotun04 »

Thanks, going to be a future project.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nice truck Steve!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Toyotun04 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:11 pm
Thanks, going to be a future project.
Go to my website to see a simple cheap jig to hold the string for reserving.