Buck vs Doe Droppings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Buck vs Doe Droppings

Post by CT.HNTR »

So I was scouting a new area today with a buddy and we found some fresh droppings that were bunched up into a few large clumps. My buddies take was the droppings were made by a buck as they were large clumps and he feels does droppings are always individual pellets. I have heard this theory before but it really does not make sense to me as both bucks and does feed on the same food sources and they have the same digestive tracks.

Is this just a myth that buck droppings are in large clumps and does are always in individual pellets or is there some basis in truth with this theory?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
xcaliber

Re: Buck vs Doe Droppings

Post by xcaliber »

Some people smarter than I claim to be have said this many times over the years, and there might be some truth to it. The fact that males in most mammal species are larger than females and that be one factor, and of course then larger digestive systems, intestines, etc. I would think that food eaten at that seasonal time would be more of a factor, but we all see them in the fall also, so who knows. I have held to this theory, and it makes the most sense to me. Large deer make big poop, and I have seen doe that surpass #200 in agricultural areas for my whole life, where there are big doe, there are big bucks.
Good luck, and hopefully someone has a biological answer to this. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

I firmly believe it has more to do with diet than sex. I'm sure there are some scientific findings that show a trend.

Animals that eat a wet diet, even if it's lush greenery tend to have clumpier scats. Moose are a perfect example of this, their scat changes as the water level increases or decreases during the changing season.

The buck I gutted last year was full of tiny rabbit sized poops typically associated with does and or fawns.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:06 pm
I firmly believe it has more to do with diet than sex. I'm sure there are some scientific findings that show a trend.

Animals that eat a wet diet, even if it's lush greenery tend to have clumpier scats. Moose are a perfect example of this, their scat changes as the water level increases or decreases during the changing season.

The buck I gutted last year was full of tiny rabbit sized poops typically associated with does and or fawns.
Chris, I must say that your answer is a more shall we say scientific than mine! :lol: :lol:
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

https://www.realtree.com/brow-tines-and-backstrap/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-deer-poop
janesy

Post by janesy »

elkaholic wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:30 pm
https://www.realtree.com/brow-tines-and-backstrap/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-deer-poop
Well I guess that solves that then :lol: :thumbup:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I'll just let ya know.... I tried both kinds and they taste like crap.
Hatchet
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Nothing like having a handful of fresh mtn. raisins to start your day !
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Hatchet wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:51 pm
I'll just let ya know.... I tried both kinds and they taste like crap.
Hatchet
So you're saying you don't eat that part anyway! :lol: :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I believe that you are all full.....of clumps n pellets lololl.
💩
My dad told me the clumps were from a buck.
My Mom told me all girls were the same when you turn em upside down !!!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

longbow joe wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 pm
I believe that you are all full.....of clumps n pellets lololl.
💩
My dad told me the clumps were from a buck.
My Mom told me all girls were the same when you turn em upside down !!!
:shock: :lol: :lol: :eusa-naughty:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Ankh

Post by Ankh »

Same holds true for rubs. Although there's conflicting research, the most in depth studies I've seen were from penn state university which I can't find the link to. Here is another study link

https://www.deerassociation.com/rub-and-repeat-bucks-return-to-a-few-rubs-not-all/

I guess nature isn't as predictable as human nature.
Micro 335 nightmare, Axiom
Swhacker 150 grain, zombie slayers
Wants: micro ultra lite, adj. stock, take down, good trigger, good scope , low 300 speed to keep "cockable" w/out crank
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ankh wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:53 pm
Same holds true for rubs. Although there's conflicting research, the most in depth studies I've seen were from penn state university which I can't find the link to. Here is another study link

https://www.deerassociation.com/rub-and-repeat-bucks-return-to-a-few-rubs-not-all/

I find poop & rubs, I’m hunting that spot if I know what the trail is leading to! PERIOD, and I ain’t counting pellets or anything! :lol: :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:51 pm
Ankh wrote:

I find poop & rubs, I’m hunting that spot if I know what the trail is leading to! PERIOD, and I ain’t counting pellets or anything! :lol: :lol:
I hunt with a guy who follows deer tracks like a rail line. And I always say... You won't get a deer hunting where they've been.. you have to be where they are going.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:28 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:51 pm
Ankh wrote:

I hunt with a guy who follows deer tracks like a rail line. And I always say... You won't get a deer hunting where they've been.. you have to be where they are going.
Darn good advice Chris! :thumbup: :thumbup:
It's more than half the fun to find a good spot & say to yourself, they'll be through here again SOON! :eusa-popcorn: