Vixen v.s. Exocet

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Vixen v.s. Exocet

Post by Guest »

Hi gents,

Just wondering if anybody uses the Vixen for hunting. To users of these two xbows, I'd like to know your experience with them. I'm a new hunter and on a tight budget. The Vixen is the less expensive of the two, but if it will do the job for Moose, Deer & Turkey then I will go with this one. I know the Exocet have gotten many +ve reviews, but with taxes, and extra toys the cost will run me up to $700-$800, something I can't afford.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

The Vixen is a question for moose see http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/choose.html

However on deer and turkey a for sure.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
A.W

Post by A.W »

You beat me to the mark Gary. :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Fast Draw with the xbows the call me, One hel! of a sight to see...one on each hip and one across the back :!: :twisted: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I'm not sure about moose but deer are no problem.
shifty

Post by shifty »

on the web sight you will see how much kenetic energy it takes to pass through a moose . The vixen is well above this and i think a well placed shot would deffinatly put a moose down, hell guys are dropping moose with 50 lb long bows and having no trouble. Just my two cents.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

shifty wrote:on the web sight you will see how much kenetic energy it takes to pass through a moose . The vixen is well above this and i think a well placed shot would deffinatly put a moose down, hell guys are dropping moose with 50 lb long bows and having no trouble. Just my two cents.
And that is the key...A well placed shot, the spec's say it is a :?: see
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/choose.html

Just my .25 cents worth :!: :wink:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
dairyfarmer

Post by dairyfarmer »

I'm not sure about moose,but my Vixen is accurate and a pleasure to use for deer. I also find the fiber optic sight is all I need.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Some hunting buddies I know picked up 7 vixens at once back in Sept. One guy organized it so he got the free scope. Anyways they paid $400 each and 4 of them have taken deer this year so far. I'd say they work fine. :)

Still waiting for my exocet to connect though. :?

jay
CHRISH

Post by CHRISH »

I HAVE USED THE VIXEN ON 300LB+ BLACK BEAR AT 15YRDS. USING EXCALIBUR'S GOLDTIP BOLTS,125GR WASP HAMMERSST'S, COMPLETE DOUBLE LUNG PASSTHRUOGHS EVERYTIME, BOLT BURIED IN GROUND. AS FOR MOOSE, I WOULD BE LEARY OF ANYTHING BUT BROADSIDE SHOT 30YRDS AND UNDER. EXOCET IS MUCH MORE APPROPRIATE FOR MOOSE BEYOND 30YRDS. MY EXOCET WILL GROUP 3INCHES AT 50YRDS WITH ABOVE MENTIONED BOLT/BROADHEAD SET-UP.
shifty

Post by shifty »

On the excalibur website it states under arrow performence that it takes 50lbs of kenetic energy to pass through a moose. The vixon has up to 72 ftlbs of kenetic energy witch makes it 22ftlbs over the required amount. Yeah i think it would do it .
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

shifty wrote:On the excalibur website it states under arrow performence that it takes 50lbs of kenetic energy to pass through a moose. The vixon has up to 72 ftlbs of kenetic energy witch makes it 22ftlbs over the required amount. Yeah i think it would do it .
And I agree with ya! However it would take a well placed shot and I would keep it at 20-25 yards. Moose are well sorta large, big BONE and kinda larger body then a deer.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!

Post by Guest »

shifty wrote:On the excalibur website it states under arrow performence that it takes 50lbs of kenetic energy to pass through a moose. The vixon has up to 72 ftlbs of kenetic energy witch makes it 22ftlbs over the required amount. Yeah i think it would do it .
And if not? Poor moose... :roll:
brayhaven

Post by brayhaven »

As with most questions of this type, it depends on shot placement. As a gunsmith & former outdoor writer I've always gotten questions of what caliber/weapon is adequate for what game. The answer is always the same. If you hit him right, anything is fine, If you don't, a .600 nitro won't help you get the job done. That said, I bought the exocet over the Vixen for just a little flatter trajectory as it was about the same price.
Greg
shifty

Post by shifty »

Congrates on the new bow. Enjoy