Crossbow hunting in Colorado

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Colorado Crossbow

Crossbow hunting in Colorado

Post by Colorado Crossbow »

Born, raised and lived in Colorado all of my 65 years.
I helped get the crossbow legalized for hunting in Colorado in 1984.
Looking for other crossbow shooters and hunters to promote the sport and
work toward improving our hunting regulations in Colorado.
It's not Rocket Science... Yet!

Excalibur Assassin 400TD
AJ01

Re: Crossbow hunting in Colorado

Post by AJ01 »

As an "Non-Resident", I used to hunt Colorado a lot back in the late 70's and 80's. Back when an Elk tag was $250 for Non-residents and you could get them over the counter at any "Mom and Pop" store that sold any kind of "sporting goods". We hunted up around Gunnison and Montrose. Loved the country and the towns people were extremely friendly.
Then the Californians came... :wtf: :lol: :wtf:
My how things have changed.
I wish you luck on your quest!!

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Colorado Crossbow

Thanks for the reply, AJ!

You are singing to the choir brother. Back then I think resident Elk tags were about $25.00.
You could go up into the mountains and never see another soul.
Not today. Especially now with the legalization of marijuana, and the housing boom in the state,
People are moving here like it was the days of the gold rush. The National Forests like Disney Land.
Some permits for a camping spot are on a 1 year waiting list.
On top of all that, the Interest in crossbows seems to be void. The powerful Colorado Bowhunters Assn. has taken a hard stand against the Crossbow.

I recently retired and at 65 I am not the young buck I once was.
I see other states allowing crossbows in the archery seasons.
I really am trying to keep a positive attitude. I am looking into improving the regulations but at this point I don’t see how the crossbow will ever get out of the “Rifle and associated methods” season.

Excalibur Assassin 400TD
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I really understand. I saw it happen to a buddy of mine that lives in the Great Falls area Montana too. All the folks fleeing west coast liberal states have ruined a lot of what was unique to places like Colorado, Montana, Idaho and Wyoimg. What were once pristine wildlife areas are now crowded with people who can't tell an Elk from a Rock Chuck. :lol:
But they sure can tell you what you need to do, and how you should get it done! :eusa-doh:

The problem we have here in Texas is that there is not a whole lot of public land, no BLM stuff. Texas Parks and Wildlife has millions of acres of hunting land, but it is a controlled access. Certain places don't allow certain things. No permenant stands, no feed stations of any kind, no ATV's. And the list goes on and on... :wink: Each parcel has it's on rules and regulations.
But access fees are cheap. $35 bucks for the access pass (plus Licenses) for a resident gets you a full year of hunting priviledges. Born before a certain year, then you will need your Hunter Education card on you when you hunt!
Got my Hunter Education card back in '73 so I could hunt Colorado!! :lol:

Texas has lots of opportunities to hunt. Landowners rule the day. Elk and Pronghorn permits are given to the landowners, they then "sell them" to whoever hunts. It can get quite pricey!! :shock:
Mule Deer, Whitetail, Turkey and ceratin other species all have set "seasons", determined by TPWD.
Exotic mammals can be hunted year round. And Texas only has a few million exotics both on "game ranches" and free ranging!!

Texas allows "Archery Hunters" to use both vertical and horizontal bows!! The ONLY exception is Grayson County which during archery season you cannot hunt with a crossbow. Grayson is strange in the fact that it's a "Bow Only" county even during rifle season. You can during rifle season hunt with a crossbow...go figure!! :lol:

So far, crossbows here in Texas have had great success. I've had 5 local friends buy Excalibur bows within the last year. I wish you GREAT success in your fight in Colorado.
Keep the Faith! :thumbup:

From Deep within the Heart of the East Texas Piney Woods!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Colorado Crossbow

Last month I hunted wild hogs just west of Abilene,Texas with my Daughter and Son-in-law, I used my Excalibur Assassin 400 and they both used rifles. He got one, she missed and I missed.
:(
A bit pricey, but I will do that again!
Dos Plumas Hunting Ranch.
Plus I love all things Pork!

Excalibur Assassin 400TD
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Colorado Crossbow wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:09 pm
Last month I hunted wild hogs just west of Abilene,Texas with my Daughter and Son-in-law, I used my Excalibur Assassin 400 and they both used rifles. He got one, she missed and I missed.
:(
A bit pricey, but I will do that again!
Dos Plumas Hunting Ranch.
Plus I love all things Pork!
Yeppers they are kinda high!! Lots of places in Texas with fairly cheap hog hunts, especially in central Texas. Lots of ranchers willing to let ya hunt for a small or nothing "fee" just to make sure you don't shoot their cows!!! :lol: If your daughter lives here in Texas, have her do some checking with the folks between Abiline and Weatherford out in the Palo Pinto area. Lots of hogs with cheap hunts.
Colorado Crossbow

Thanks for the info. I will pass it on and hopefully be down there before Christmas. Stay tuned, I hope to hear from you again,
Good luck and God Bless.

Excalibur Assassin 400TD