janesy

Re: Favorite Cold Weather Gear

Post by janesy »

lituani wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:24 pm
janesy wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:49 am
Skin tight wicking base layer
ECWCS fleece layer (no idea what that stands for)
Redhead tundra suede bibs and jacket.
Fleece neck gator and beanie , thin gloves and a mitt muff.
Thick merino wool socks. No cotton.

I only use toe warmers, because they are adhesive. I stick one on each foot and one each on the OUTSIDE of my midlayer right on my kidneys. For long sits if you put it below the midlayer it burns a mark into your skin for a few days, and that cant possibly be good.
Exactly what janesy said, right down to the hand warmer behind kidneys (inlcuding 2nd degree burns after my first outing). I use polypro liners under wool sox. Standard days, no gaiter needed. For snowy days, I put zippered hood onto my parka. Used to wear traditional leather boots with thinsulate, but now use swamp boots w/800gm thinsulate. In tree stand, I put down carpet square to keep wind off boot soles. This setup has kept me comfortable for 3 hour sits in 20' treestand down to 5F (no wind).
Aren't those burns uncomfortable! Man I learned my lesson
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

ihunt wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:09 pm
Hillcountry wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:12 pm
My Big Buddy heater in my ground blind seems to be the only way I can sit for longer than an hour or two… :lol:
Same here buddy heater and a good pair of Alpaca socks. Heater keeps the upper body warm but the feet are on the ground so it can be cold when not moving around.
buddy heater here as well. with suit from "versaskins" surprisingly warm for being medium weight(coat and pants) so i dont use heater other than the pilot light unless its a must to keep me on stand. even with heater still had trouble with my feet getting cold though, upgraded boots to baffin wolf boots and never an issue any longer even wearing with light weight socks wish i would have become aware of thier boots sooner, they are awesome!!
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Sitkaspruce

Post by Sitkaspruce »

I sit in a ground blind in November with temps down to -30 C.

Cabelas EW bottoms
Icebreaker 260 weight top
Med weight wool socks as you don't want to restrict your blood flow in feet!
Heavy duty -110 c rig boots
This for the walk in, slowly so you don't sweat

Sit for 10 minutes in the blind, then I add
Kryptek Ageis cold weather bibs
either Sitka heavy weight hoodie or Stanfields, depending on the temps
Heavy duty wool sweater from Value Village
fleece neck warmer
ball cap and wool toque
Two different types of gloves
The I lay a heavy weight wool blanket over top of my legs and around my hips
Old carpet on the ground to keep boots off the cold ground.

It seems a lot, but it easier than packing in my buddy heater as well as some of these clothes.

Only felt cold a few times, but I recharge the inside by a cup of hot chocolate and eating high energy foods.

Might want to look into those Zippo's!!

Cheers

SS
lituani

Post by lituani »

janesy wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:08 pm
Aren't those burns uncomfortable! Man I learned my lesson
I didn't have the stick-on tow warmer version. Instead, sewed some pocket onto the back of my thermals so hand warmer could slide in.

Got warm. Then really warm. Then really didn't feel a thing. Until I went to remove base layer, along with a sheet of skin. EEEOOUUUCCHHH!

Ya only do that once!
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

I hike in about 1.5 miles to my stand so I carry most of my clothes in a pack and get dressed at the base of the tree after I have spent 10 minutes or so cooling off.

SmartWool Socks
Cabelas fleece base layers
A wool or fleece sweather
First Lite Sanctuary bibs and jacket
This year I purchased some LaCrosse Hunt Pac Extremes and will be giving them a try.
Grabber hand and toe warmers
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Hawkeyemd

Post by Hawkeyemd »

" King of the Mountain " Camo Wool w/ silk underwear under it for wicking away sweat ! Shnee Pac Boots . Can't beat wool for warmth !
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Normous wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:01 pm
For this tall guy , Cabelas MT50 Gore Tex - Thinsulate bibs and parka is hands down my favorite . I can appreciate the tall sizing offered at a small upgrade cost.
MT50 features good zippers, numerous pockets and underarm zips to vent some air.

To keep my hands from freezing I like a good hardwarmer waist muff ( again by Cabelas ) using one or two chemical heaters combined with a thin liner glove for trigger control.

A fleece neck gaiter keeps the chill off your neck pretty good.
I have almost the exact same setup. I am much further south but don't handle the cold real well. With some hand warmers I can sit as long as my body will let me
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

Wool, and lots of it. I wear the least amount of clothes to the stand, and layer up when I get there. I wear a wool hat or face mask, wool underwear-merino wool does not itch. I wear a wool jacket or coat, wool pants or bibs, wool socks, wool gloves or mittens, and LaCross 1200 rubber insulated boots. The colder the weather , the heavier the clothing. I carry a strap on umbrella in case it rains. If wool gets wet, it still insulates and keeps you warm, synthetics don't. Happy hunting.
THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF A PINT OF ALE TO A COMMON PERSON SHOULD NEVER BE OVERLOOKED!