Sharp useful cutting tools review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Sharp useful cutting tools review

Post by Normous »

We hunters like good sharp cutting tools and sharp tools are really one of my pleasures. My interest in replaceable blade knives has caught my attention and my search began ending with a recent purchase from Wiebe knives.
Once in my hands I knew I made a good quality purchase that did not break the bank.

www.wiebeknives.com

First in my hands was the Wiebe VIXEN folding skinning knife at 39.99 usd INCLUDING 24 replaceable surgical-grade scalpel knife blades and holster. Lightweight , ergonomic and 7.5" open.
The Wood handles make it look and feel more expensive, less costlier plastic Wiebe versions are available. I very much prefer the wood Vixen version to be honest. The replaceable surgical blade is very secure and stiff enough.

Next, the hooked blade Wiebe Zipper knife is exactly what I wanted to open the abdomen . The two sided blade is very sharp and does not break the bank at $7.95 usd. It features a convenient belt clip.

Wiebe also offers replacement blade packs at prices less than their competitors I might add.

Note to Canadians- Shipping with tracking took 7 business days to my door and cost was a reasonable at $20.00 usd.

[ImageImage
Last edited by Normous on Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hillcountry

Re: Sparp useful cutting tools review

Post by Hillcountry »

Normous wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:13 pm
We hunters like good sharp cutting tools and sharp tools are really one of my pleasures. My interest in replaceable blade knives has caught my attention and my search began ending with a recent purchase from Wiebe knives.
Once in my hands I knew I made a good quality purchase that did not break the bank.

www.wiebeknives.com

First in my hands was the Wiebe VIXEN folding skinning knife at 39.99 usd INCLUDING 24 replaceable surgical-grade scalpel knife blades and holster. Lightweight , ergonomic and 7.5" open.
The Wood handles make it look and feel more expensive, less costlier plastic Wiebe versions are available. I very much prefer the wood Vixen version to be honest. The replaceable surgical blade is very secure and stiff enough.

Next, the hooked blade Wiebe Zipper knife is exactly what I wanted to open the abdomen . The two sided blade is very sharp and does not break the bank at $7.95 usd. It features a convenient belt clip.

Wiebe also offers replacement blade packs at prices less than their competitors I might add.

Note to Canadians- Shipping with tracking took 7 business days to my door and cost was a reasonable at $20.00 usd.

[ImageImage
Very nice knives! I have the Havalon ones that have been great.
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
lituani

Post by lituani »

Normous wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Wholeheartedly agree that the feel of the knife is a big part of its utility. I do like wood & leather handled knives for many chores, but not for gutting. Once blood covers the wood, the grip generally disappears with smooth wood finishes. I’ve used Havalon with success, but prefer a traditional folder or fixed blade. Drop point shape is a big functional factor, which replaceable blades cannot approach.

Another major consideration for me is "simplicity" of design. Many modern knives are cobbled together from many smaller pieces with lots of fasteners & nooks & crannies. This makes them look good, but they are a nightmare to get really clean after gutting (especially in cold weather).

My preference is zytel/similar with raised scales which retain gripability when blood or water soaked (or iced over, or with gloves).
For me, Outdoor Edge created the most perfect hunting knife with their Field Lite model (unfortunately discontinued, but I bought them out).
That chrome-moly 8A steel is amazing; I gutting & skinned five full size deer before it needed touching up. If you ever find a used one, get it!

Was going to include photos of the Outdoor Edge field lite, but:
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Wiebe’s mission is simple: to provide tools of exceptional quality at an unbeatable value . While not mainly designed as a gutting knife, Wiebe knives are mainly designed for skinning hunters and trappers offering a fine surgical replacement knives that don't break the bank.

The way I see it , for Whitetail hunters, the plastic handled Monarch model (19.99 usd) , Artic Fox model ( $29.99 usd) or the Red Fox at ( 34.99 usd) featuring a cross-cut texturing throughout the entire handle for non-slip use may be preferred over the wood Vixen model I chose.

Of course, visceral matter, blood and fat is an unavoidable obstacle for hunters and trappers at any time of the season. Simply, this step should be done with care at all times.

Most of us clean our knives at home or at camp later. Really hot water combined with grease cutting DAWN dishwashing liquid and a toothpick or metal pick take care of remaining animal debris in a quick efficient matter for cleanliness.

My tip of the day - don't clean your knives under the influence of alcohol.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The introduction of the replaceable blades has certainly changed the landscape of cutlery. It has revolutionized the shaving blade industry. Now anyone can shave themselves, without fear of slitting their throat with a straight razor. :wink:

So I suppose that there's a market for knives with replaceable blades. I imagine there's lot of folks that appreciate the fact that they can "always" have a sharp knife without having to learn the skill of sharpening and honing it to razor-sharpness.

Personally, I'm partial to "old school" knives. My favorites are Gerber, Buck and Puma, just to mention a few.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Case 3 Finn XX is my favorite fixed blade knife for field dressing, but this one looks really nice for skinning.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I have had a Havalon for years and I love it for skinning out hides. Works real well on and around the head. Replacement blades are the way to go. Glad to know there is a cheaper version for them.
grouse

Re: Sharp useful cutting tools review

Post by grouse »

I have a couple of Case XX stainless leather handled hunting knives that I keep razor sharp with a Japanese water stone. Neither of them has touched a deer in a few years. My extra large Swiss army knife ( I'm not sure if it's a Wenger or Victorinox - it's at the farm right now and I'm not) is all I've used for a while. It has a large blade that I keep razor sharp and it has a good size saw that makes quick work of ribs and pelvic bones. I have skinned and butchered deer before, but it has been a while. For field dressing a deer or two before taking them to the processor, the Swiss army knife is all I need.
axiom
350 SE
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Wiebe's are excellent knives! I also enjoy the trapping shows they sponsor. :thumbup:

But I have to admit, I'm kinda like ComfyBear, I like my "old school" knives very much.
I have an old USA made Schrade Old Timer "Sharpfinger" that has helped me skin a ton of deer sized game. To me it's priceless!! :lol:
The other knife in my bag is a Schrade Old Timer "Drop Point Hunter". Both will shave.
Did I mention that these knives are made in the USA??? NOT Chinese made pieces of junk!!!
And they are only about 50 years old, if they are a day!!! :lol:

Geez...I'm showing my age!! :crazy: :lol: :eusa-doh:

A good knife is hard to find! Once you find one that "fits" your paws, it's hard to let it go!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
TPM

Post by TPM »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:08 am

I have an old USA made Schrade Old Timer "Sharpfinger" that has helped me skin a ton of deer sized game. To me it's priceless!! :lol:
The other knife in my bag is a Schrade Old Timer "Drop Point Hunter". Both will shave.
Did I mention that these knives are made in the USA??? NOT Chinese made pieces of junk!!!
I picked up one of the Chinese made Schrade Sharpfingers cheap on line years ago. The leather sheath is pretty crappy and the overall finish is mediocre but I do have to admit the blade itself has preformed very well. Holds a edge as well as most of my other knives.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger