Who Misses The Old Bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flinthead

Re: Who Misses The Old Bows

Post by flinthead »

I don't miss the old wide bows either... I have four of them that I shoot almost every day. Sometimes I just pick them up and hold them lovingly!! :D :D
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Bcxbow wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 am
Carnivorous wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:43 am
I don't really miss the old wide bows. Lol
Me neither Jeff
I cant say I missed them either. I've tuned up three last fall for friends, one shot a moose the week after. I get the nostalgia. But it's not enough for me to want to carry one, or even shoot them for that matter. But I feel that way about the matrix series too now. I don't dislike them in anyway.

Every micro I've ever shot has been same hole accuracy to any reasonable hunting distance, so I don't buy into the accuracy claim either. Maybe at 100 yards, but the day someone comes on here and talks up the story about their 100y kill with one is the day I sit back with a bowl of popcorn and just enjoy the verbal slaying they will get. :eusa-popcorn:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
TPM

Post by TPM »

janesy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:34 am
Bcxbow wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:45 am
Carnivorous wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:43 am
I don't really miss the old wide bows. Lol
Me neither Jeff
I cant say I missed them either. I've tuned up three last fall for friends, one shot a moose the week after. I get the nostalgia. But it's not enough for me to want to carry one, or even shoot them for that matter. But I feel that way about the matrix series too now. I don't dislike them in anyway.

Every micro I've ever shot has been same hole accuracy to any reasonable hunting distance, so I don't buy into the accuracy claim either. Maybe at 100 yards, but the day someone comes on here and talks up the story about their 100y kill with one is the day I sit back with a bowl of popcorn and just enjoy the verbal slaying they will get. :eusa-popcorn:
For hunting certainly the new bows have the advantage but the old Exo series bows especially lower poundage ones, are still popular with the target shooters. A big part of it is ease and comfort of cocking. Cocking once while hunting is one thing but cocking 40 to 60 times in competition is another thing all together.
As for accuracy, there actually is a correlation between speed and accuracy. Basically any factor that will contribute to inaccuracies, whether in the bow or the arrow, will be amplified with speed. That's why serious target bows only shoot about half the speed of an old Vixen.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Here's my answer.

Years ago, I sold my carved limb tip Vixen; I REALLY wish I had not done that.

I was shooting 3D with mine.

I took a lengthy hiatus from archery from 2004 to 2018, took it back up for retirement.

When choosing equipment type, I looked at Excalibur, I was surprised to see the change in the line up, having been away for so long. Nothing there really suited my needs, so I passed on them (and I would not buy a compound crossbow, so I went in another direction).

I realize my use is a niche and a rarity and that they new Excalibur's suit the needs of most hunters but they are not something for me.
10Ring
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

I don't miss the old bows, I still have mine :lol:
2010 Equinox killed quite a few deer with it,
would not trade it for anything,,,,,,, well maybe a Vixen. :eusa-think:

Dave :P
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

When I first wanted to buy an Excalibur, I handled my nephew's Matrix and a friends Equinox. I liked the feel of the Equinox a lot better. So that is what I bought. I now have two Equinox, a Vortex, and a Phoenix. I bought both Equinox new. The Vortex and Phoenix were both used when I bought them. I do like the thumbhole stocks better than the rifle style stock. I have no intension to make any changes except possibly trading the Phoenix for an aluminum rail Ibex.
Eck

Post by Eck »

My Matrix 330 and 380 are my NEW bows!!

When I saw the subject line, I thought I was going to read about people missing their old ExoMags, and Phoenix “wide” bows!! As much as I liked my E-Mag, I do like Matrix bows better. There’s no cocking a Matrix without a cocking rope however!!!
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

I don't miss them either, because that's all I own! ( maybe too many!) I guess one could say I " modernized" by jumping into the Matrix series but I don't have a desire or need for any more bows. I would have a problem if I had to choose one though! Also, I kinda like the peep sights and pin . Have those on 2 of my old bows. They are hard to come by.
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
lituani

Post by lituani »

Vortex was my first Excalibur and could easily have been my last. I was shopping for an Equinox (wanted a touch faster; didn't "need" faster, just wanted another Excalibur) while y'all kept harping about how great the Matrix series was, so now I have a 355 and 380 to complement the Vortex.

Micros...I see alot of love for them here, but not sure there is any reason for me to acquire one.
Micros certainly are faster (Vortex hasn't missed a kill shot yet) and narrower (not sure whether they're "better balanced", but I don't need narrow for my hunting situations).
But micros also experience more limb issues (zero for Vortex...ever from what I've read) and require a crank (well, except the Micro 315 at 260#, but that's the edge of manual pull for me).
Micros are less noisy, but anything above zero is still noisy, so no advantage there in hunting situations.

I do enjoy shooting the Matrix 355 and 380, and this will be my first hunt season with them. Don't know which I'll choose heading to the stand.

But I won't miss the old Exo series, because I'll never be without my Vortex :D
Buzzard II

Post by Buzzard II »

Do I miss the old bows-NO! I just go and play with one of them-but to me an old crossbow is a Phoenix, Vixen, Vortex to name a few. :thumbup:
THE IMMENSE IMPORTANCE OF A PINT OF ALE TO A COMMON PERSON SHOULD NEVER BE OVERLOOKED!