Food plots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

Food plots

Post by W.Miguire »

Just wondering if anyone is putting in a food plot and what your planting. Do you fence it in and when in your area do you plant?
Al in Mi

Re: Food plots

Post by Al in Mi »

I have about 6 acres I do now, 3 acres by my wifes blind and rest 300yds over by my blind, it all went into corn this year. I had a bad bag of seed that didn't do well by me, so been debating on what to do with that 3 acre area by me. I might try tillage radishes 60yds all around the blind in a couple of weeks, then the rest will be rye come labor day weekend.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

will start working on fall plots this weekend. i have about 3 acres total on my 80 acres. but they are all 1/2 acre or less planting wintergreens, turnips,, a mix with rye,wheat,oats peas, forage radish. also putting in another 1/3 acre of perinnial clover with rye as a cover crop.....the fun begins :!: :thumbup:
Last edited by Deaf jeff on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

I plant strips corn to block/guide deer and beans and oats in the spring for the food plot. In the first week of Aug, I'll turn over the oats and replant. Radish and kale in the middle for the kill plot. I'm thinking about laying in a strip of beets in the the barasicas this year.
Whatever you do try to plant in strips. It will help in telling you want your deer like to eat because they may not eat everything you're growing.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Boo wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 am

Whatever you do try to plant in strips. It will help in telling you want your deer like to eat because they may not eat everything you're growing.
sound advice if land permits. i plant in mixes cuz openings in my woods are limited and small so i plant a buffet at most of them
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:21 am
Boo wrote:

sound advice if land permits. i plant in mixes cuz openings in my woods are limited and small so i plant a buffet at most of them
I am certainly no expert but, I think the only problem with that if you're planting brassicas, they will crowd out others because they grow so fast and produce a bio toxin that acts like a herbicide that inhibits growth of other plants. That bio toxin is not as powerful as a herbicide though. I no longer mix other than mixing different brassicas together like radishes and kale. You would be better to do patches or even plant like slices of pie if you can't do strips. At minimum you'll see if they like something better than another or if they eat different products at different times.
I'm tempted to plant a strip of beans in August in the kill plot as well this year but I kinda think they won't last long.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Boo wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:52 am
Deaf jeff wrote:
Boo wrote:

I am certainly no expert but, I think the only problem with that if you're planting brassicas, they will crowd out others because they grow so fast and produce a bio toxin that acts like a herbicide that inhibits growth of other plants. That bio toxin is not as powerful as a herbicide though. I no longer mix other than mixing different brassicas together like radishes and kale. You would be better to do patches or even plant like slices of pie if you can't do strips. At minimum you'll see if they like something better than another or if they eat different products at different times.
I'm tempted to plant a strip of beans in August in the kill plot as well this year but I kinda think they won't last long.
Don,
i understand what you are saying. i am no expert either and my only goal is to make the few deer around here happy and they are not complaining so i will stick with what has worked for me
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:51 am
Boo wrote:
Deaf jeff wrote:

Don,
i understand what you are saying. i am no expert either and my only goal is to make the few deer around here happy and they are not complaining so i will stick with what has worked for me
I hope I didn't give you the idea I was telling you what to do Jeff. I've had the present one for 3 yrs no and a couple in the back of my home for longer. The one thing that I've figured out is that there are no hard, steadfast rules. I also figured out that deer have their own personalities food wise. One bunch of deer will eat apples or brassicas but the other doesn't. What really surprises me is that one plot of just beans is pretty much untouched with the exception of maybe a deer or 2 wandering through. The other place, I'm pretty sure no beans have ever went to seed before being eaten. So you're right in what you're doing and that is whatever works.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Here where we live there is not much aug. so what ever you plant they will eat :thumbup: I am planting a fall blend of winter rye winter peas and wheat some radish and turnips. This is my first time trying a plot . It is very small but that’s all I have to work with. Just tryed a handful of seed and it is growing good will start the 3rd week in Aug
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Sounds just like the AntlerKing brand, we planted today.

Old rd . We till up an area 15x 20 approx. Withing 30 to 40 yrds of our tree stands.

So we got 5 mini plots.

We don't get over excited because here in the N. Woods the deer basically hammer the acorn crop. They'll nibble a bit here and there but not like every deer in the area are feeding all at once.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have rutabaga in the small trial food plot i have going. A little sweeter plant and root for attracting later season deer. Early season they have lots of farm crops. Corn, beans, alfalfa.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

try rhododendrons. my wife says no more planting them because the darned things eat all the leaves.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Cardinalsfanforever wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:50 pm
try rhododendrons. my wife says no more planting them because the darned things eat all the leaves.
SO TRUE :lol:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
lituani

Post by lituani »

Boo wrote:
I am certainly no expert but, I think the only problem with that if you're planting brassicas, they will crowd out others because they grow so fast and produce a bio toxin that acts like a herbicide that inhibits growth of other plants. That bio toxin is not as powerful as a herbicide though. I no longer mix other than mixing different brassicas together like radishes and kale.
Have you ever planted anything else into the plots where you previously planted brassicas? Curious whether that biotoxin/herbicide-like effect dissipates after a winter and lotsa precipitation, or whether it attaches itself to soil and hangs around doing its thing for one or two seasons hence.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

lituani wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:09 am
Boo wrote:
I am certainly no expert but, I think the only problem with that if you're planting brassicas, they will crowd out others because they grow so fast and produce a bio toxin that acts like a herbicide that inhibits growth of other plants. That bio toxin is not as powerful as a herbicide though. I no longer mix other than mixing different brassicas together like radishes and kale.
Have you ever planted anything else into the plots where you previously planted brassicas? Curious whether that biotoxin/herbicide-like effect dissipates after a winter and lotsa precipitation, or whether it attaches itself to soil and hangs around doing its thing for one or two seasons hence.
no idea about these toxins but the general rule is to not plant brassica more then 2 consecutive years, in the same spot then rotate. its my understanding that brassica removes major amounts of nutrients so gotta give soil a chance to rebound to get optimal growth. i plant some sort of soil building mix on my rotating years
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
matrix 355
matrix 330
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife