Bear advise.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald strine

Bear advise.

Post by gerald strine »

After chasing points for many years to get a bear permit I am able to buy a license this year !
This will be my first time hunting Bear and it will be a do it all myself hunting experience no outfitter or guide.
Any baiting tips or hunting tips in general would be appreciated.
I will be using my Matrix 350 , 2219 xx75, 175 grain Slick Tricks.
I am strongly considering a ground blind hunt for the shear thrill of it.
Pros , cons , advise all welcome.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Re: Bear advise.

Post by xcaliber »

I would only hunt from the ground if killing a bear to protect yourself with a handgun is legal, and I would have a revolver in . 44 caliber or larger! I would prefer a stand!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Pick an area where you won't be deer hunting.
Brother in-law let someone harvest a bear on his property a few years ago. The traffic from baiting and hunting bear drove all the deer off his property.
It was nice that they all came across the road to the property I hunt. :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
janesy

Post by janesy »

gerald strine wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:14 pm
After chasing points for many years to get a bear permit I am able to buy a license this year !
This will be my first time hunting Bear and it will be a do it all myself hunting experience no outfitter or guide.
When is your season?

I suggest you study up on this catalogue Gerry,

https://www.northwoodsbearproducts.net
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:43 pm
I would only hunt from the ground if killing a bear to protect yourself with a handgun is legal, and I would have a revolver in . 44 caliber or larger! I would prefer a stand!
I am legal to carry but do not have a .44 Mag but I do have a .45 1911.
I just feel that a ground hunt would be a thrill of a life time,
Perhaps the last thrill does anyone hunt from the ground ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

BrotherRon wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:25 pm
Pick an area where you won't be deer hunting.
Brother in-law let someone harvest a bear on his property a few years ago. The traffic from baiting and hunting bear drove all the deer off his property.
It was nice that they all came across the road to the property I hunt. :lol:
Good advise but I would most likely be very close to if not in my favorite deer stand because of the property size and the hunters on it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

janesy wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:19 am
gerald strine wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:14 pm
When is your season?

I suggest you study up on this catalogue Gerry,

https://www.northwoodsbearproducts.net
Thank you for the sight link I will check it out.
I have a split season Sept 12-20 gun, Oct 8-14 bow
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

We’ll be waiting for you to report back for sure! Be careful and enjoy, good luck buddy!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I have only taken one bear with a crossbow and that was just happenstance as was hunting deer at the time but had a bear tag and we crossed paths. Have taken many with the rifle though and all but one at typical crossbow range (20 to 30 yards) so i think the methods apply.

If using a ground blind do not leave it unattended - i.e. set it up and take it down every time you go out. Every ground blind i have left out at a bait site has been destroyed, usually not long after i leave the site. They shred them and than defecate on them. If i hunt from the ground i only use natural cover now - no blinds and it also greatly improves your peripheral vision. I have done a combo of ground and climber hunting and killed numerous bears both ways and like yourself these have all been solo self guided hunts. Ground definitely is a little more edgy as I have been busted that way several times and once was at 6 yards from behind. Your odds if you elevate yourself will definitely improve but nothing like getting charged from behind and having the actual $%&#! scared out of you.

If putting up cameras put them in one of those steel boxes that get lagged to the tree with like 5/16 by 6 inch lag bolts. Otherwise they will destroy your cameras as well.

For bait whatever you can get cheap usually works. For many years i used whole corn mixed with a bit of molasses and marshmallows. Always brought them in. If starting a new bait site chose somewhere not far from a water source and if possible thick nasty swamp. New baits will also get their first hits faster if you add a call lure. Call lure is not necessarily food - just something with a strong attractive smell. I make a mix of anise extract, caramel extract and vanilla extract and soak rags in it and than tie them up high in surrounding trees so the scent can really get out there.

One of my fancier bait sites:

Barrel is just enough off the ground to prevent the coons from stealing. It is suspended via a hand winch, cable and pulley. Coons can get on top of it but can't reach the holes without falling off. Fully loaded that barrel was +/- 400 lbs of bait.

Getting hit:

Simpler design where barrel is chained to the base of a tree:

Hunting from the ground using natural cover. Setup and hiding behind the top of a natural rise. Watched that little booger on the bait for almost 2 hours. He was just gorging himself. For perspective that setup was 22 yards from the bait.

Another ground setup. This was just quickly thrown together using a machete. Second picture is the view from the front - chair is essentially completely hidden:

One more ground setup. Hide is behind the overturned root mass with a bit of brushing in on the right hand side:

Hopefully some of that info was useful. Good luck!! and keep us posted.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Thank you for the great response and pictures!
I was opting for the natural cover set up as I do not like pop up blinds.
I like the aromatic attractant idea and will include that I'm my setup.
Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

gerald strine wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm
xcaliber wrote:
gerald,
i hunted from ground last year in charlevoix and otsego counties during both seasons had a few nice bears hitting baits during daylight before season and when season got here they turned into after dark visitors except one and he did not present a shot for my matrix 355. but that brief sighting at 25 yards or so was a huge thrill even if i did not get a shot. used popup blinds on both state and private lands
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

My Dad has killed more than 20 bears and we used to own a ME bear camp where we hosted hunters. I’ve been on a 5-day bear hunt but didn’t get one. The thing I remember most from Dads advice is quiet and natural. You know when you whistle to stop a deer, or the deer hears a noise you made and they freeze? Dad said a noise, like the click of a safety or cocking a gun hammer will make the bear take off instantly in high gear. No pause. Natural means leave the site as it was. Don’t be “smart” and sprinkle some scent around today, or move a branch or use more bait. Keep it exactly the same as what the bears have been coming to and how they left it last. We’re going to hunt NC in November. Good luck!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:09 am
gerald strine wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:26 pm
xcaliber wrote:
gerald,
i hunted from ground last year in charlevoix and otsego counties during both seasons had a few nice bears hitting baits during daylight before season and when season got here they turned into after dark visitors except one and he did not present a shot for my matrix 355. but that brief sighting at 25 yards or so was a huge thrill even if i did not get a shot. used popup blinds on both state and private lands
My first ever bear encounter was on the ground many years ago during firearm deer season.
I was sitting on a blown over root ball and had a sow and cubs come with in 20 yards of me before they got my sent and left.
I remember it 25 years latter very clearly it was a thrill.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

XB I GO wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:21 pm
My Dad has killed more than 20 bears and we used to own a ME bear camp where we hosted hunters. I’ve been on a 5-day bear hunt but didn’t get one. The thing I remember most from Dads advice is quiet and natural. You know when you whistle to stop a deer, or the deer hears a noise you made and they freeze? Dad said a noise, like the click of a safety or cocking a gun hammer will make the bear take off instantly in high gear. No pause. Natural means leave the site as it was. Don’t be “smart” and sprinkle some scent around today, or move a branch or use more bait. Keep it exactly the same as what the bears have been coming to and how they left it last. We’re going to hunt NC in November. Good luck!
Thank you for the tips I was not aware that the sound flight instinct was so strong in Bears.
Deer normally need a second sense to confirm the first one before flight.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.