Just had a visit from the MNR

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

Re: Just had a visit from the MNR

Post by grouse »

Boo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:27 pm
The biologist said and it makes sense, that hunting cannot get rid of established hogs but traps can. He said the "Pig Brig" was currently the best trap. He also said that Colorado got rid of their pigs by trapping. Interesting stuff!
Because trapping is more effective when the hogs are not hunted it is now illegal to hunt hogs on public property in Missouri. They are in the state, and doing significant damage, but they're mostly in the southern part of the state and don't seem to bespreading much. The Missouri Department of Conservation's trapping program seems to be working. I've never heard of one close to my home in metro St. Louis or my farm in N.E. Missouri.
axiom
350 SE
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

There are rumours that hogs have been seen along Quebec/Ontario border, hope not :thumbdown: :eusa-think:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Free pork......HMMMM

Hunting seven or eight years ago a big Elk came strolling by my ground blind. Phoned Ministry and they could not care about less about it. Always though because of their response if I seen it again it would be quartered up, dragged out for my dinner plate. Never seem it again but other have seen it. :)
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Trapping does remove a percentage of wild swine from a given area. However...we have found out the hard way, Hogs aren't as dumb as we think they be!! :lol:
It doesn't take long for them to learn to "NOT" go into that trap!! :eusa-naughty: Why do ya think Texas boys are always building the next best hog trap?? :wtf:
Once Again...Cause pigs ain't dumb!! :lol:

Down here we hunt and trap them anyway we can. Guns, bows, dogs, spears, out of helicopters, thermals at night, you name it.
Look at all the different designs in hog traps. Heck, we have boys build them all school year long up at the local high school in Shop and AG classes. Can't build enough of them to go around. And the ones out working to catch hogs, can't catch them fast enough to make a dent in the population.

This is a SMALL herd of pigs/hogs on one of my places.

One thing should REALLY stand out...THERE IS NOT A BOAR HOG IN THAT GROUP!!!!! :eusa-snooty:

Boar hogs don't usually hang out with sows and piglets unless it's breeding time. You won't see them all bunched together. I'd say that 90% of ALL hogs caught in a trap are less than 1 year old.

Here is what Old School "Tank Built" Boars look like and what time of day they are found!!

These are the bulldozers that cause me grief. They tear up hay fields, run deer off, they will eat the eggs of wild Turkeys and Quail. They will eat small fawns.
Here in Texas we have a ton of animals, both native and imported that we can hunt. NOTHING is more destructive than Feral Hogs.

Back when I was a kid, (YES, I know, that was a long time ago), it was like LBJ said, No Deer, No Hogs, but we had huntable numbers of Turkey and Bob White Quail.
Now we have a TON of Deer, The County I live in you are allowed to harvest 4 deer every year. No more than 2 Bucks. Turkey season is now CLOSED until the numbers rise... No Quail hardly. I haven't see a covey in years.

But we got a lot of Hogs!!! :thumbdown:

You guys that have the opportunity to go hunt these things. Please do so!! They are a menace. A couple of years ago they got so bad on Dad's place on the farm, we had to put cattle panels around his yard. They actually pushed his central air unit off the pad outside. :roll:

if you see these things...SMOKE 'Em!!! :eusa-deadhorse:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ, it is wonder why ranchers and farmers charge hunters to hunt them.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Boo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm
Boo...a lot of folks in Central and South Texas will allow hunters to hunt for "free". Given the fact that the hunters just need to go talk to these property owners and tell them they are just looking for Hogs!!
I think the main problem hunters find today is in Farm/Ranch owners simply allowing hunters on thier property without having them checked out. Unfortunately, in today's society, we have a lot of folks who just cannot be trusted to do the right thing!! And that's a real shame.
It hurts every hunter, everywhere.
We've all heard the stories of the city guy shooting the farmer's cow. Trust me, it does happen.

TPWD has hunts for hogs. Folks need to put "thier name in the hat" to get drawn. Those hunts are open to EVERYBODY. Resident, Non-Residents, and yeppers... even our Brothers north of the Border!! :thumbup: :lol:
Those interested can check out Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's website for more information.

As for around my place, we have 8 hunters who try thier best to let the air out of these critters. :thumbup: Everyone knows...even if you're deer hunting and a hog walks out... YOU BETTER stick him/her, no matter what size the pig!!

I hunted a ranch in South Texas for well over a dozen years. The 1st thing the old rancher told us is..."Boys, If I find out you didn't kill a pig when you could have, you will NO LONGER be allowed on my ranch".
Needless to say...we killed a lot of pigs!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

A crowd like that needs a mini gun!
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Boo

Post by Boo »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:21 pm
Boo wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm
Boo...a lot of folks in Central and South Texas will allow hunters to hunt for "free". Given the fact that the hunters just need to go talk to these property owners and tell them they are just looking for Hogs!!
I think the main problem hunters find today is in Farm/Ranch owners simply allowing hunters on thier property without having them checked out. Unfortunately, in today's society, we have a lot of folks who just cannot be trusted to do the right thing!! And that's a real shame.
It hurts every hunter, everywhere.
We've all heard the stories of the city guy shooting the farmer's cow. Trust me, it does happen.

TPWD has hunts for hogs. Folks need to put "thier name in the hat" to get drawn. Those hunts are open to EVERYBODY. Resident, Non-Residents, and yeppers... even our Brothers north of the Border!! :thumbup: :lol:
Those interested can check out Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's website for more information.

As for around my place, we have 8 hunters who try thier best to let the air out of these critters. :thumbup: Everyone knows...even if you're deer hunting and a hog walks out... YOU BETTER stick him/her, no matter what size the pig!!

I hunted a ranch in South Texas for well over a dozen years. The 1st thing the old rancher told us is..."Boys, If I find out you didn't kill a pig when you could have, you will NO LONGER be allowed on my ranch".
Needless to say...we killed a lot of pigs!!
I forgot about the idiots! With a lot of conversation we got permission from a rancher in Wyoming. He did tell us about peoe from the year before shooting his prize cow between the eyes! Leaving gates open is a real problem as well. Point taken.
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Wish we had more of them here in eastern NC. People say we got em here in several counties but they are few, it would be nice to have something else to hunt and see in the woods.
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Turtleman wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:09 pm
Wish we had more of them here in eastern NC. People say we got em here in several counties but they are few, it would be nice to have something else to hunt and see in the woods.
I don't want them!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I hear that they rout up everything. Perhaps I could use they on my property to dig up all my unwanted rocks. :think: :lol:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

don't tell my wife, she collects rocks. her and her mother has collected rocks from all their travels, guess who inherited
them. we have moved 3 times and so did the rocks. now they are in their final resting place. :clap: :clap: :clap:
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

ComfyBear wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 pm
I hear that they rout up everything. Perhaps I could use they on my property to dig up all my unwanted rocks. :think: :lol:
I'm headed out to work on the farm this morning...I'll post pics later today.You DON'T want then tearing up stuff!! :lol:
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Last week we had a tractor trailer with 1600 pigs on board flip over on highway 533 near Mattawa. They say they got most of them,only time will tell if they can survive the winter and out smart the bears and wolves
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

mr meat wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:11 pm
Last week we had a tractor trailer with 1600 pigs on board flip over on highway 533 near Mattawa. They say they got most of them,only time will tell if they can survive the winter and out smart the bears and wolves
Wes, if you leave your house one morning and you see this, you'll know the pigs have gone feral and have survived! :wtf: