ROLL CALL and A VISIT FROM YOGI!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

ROLL CALL and A VISIT FROM YOGI!

Post by amythntr »

.....Our Cuddeback link system HAD been working great....sending many images of bucks and doe to my phone...pretty to see the boys in velvet along with the girls they will be huffin and puffing about in another two months or so....

....as I said, HAD been working great....late last week the transmitting stopped....my middle guy went up to the property yesterday and found the "link camera" with the hi gain antennas torn off.....A review of the card showed that yogi showed up and was not happy having his picture taken....new antennas are on order....we will be upgrading our 9 cameras with solar panels and utilizing the "SpyHigh" mounts so that the cameras will all be installed about 12 feet up.....

....every time we head up to the property we are more and more pleased with our land....

...the season cannot come fast enough!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
AJ01

Re: ROLL CALL and A VISIT FROM YOGI!

Post by AJ01 »

Something about cameras and bears that don't mix. I think biologist have determined it's something in the batteries the bears can smell. :eusa-snooty:
Or...it's like you said...they just don't like thier pictures being taken!! :eusa-naughty: :lol:

Seriously though....Bears can see the same wavelenghts as we do. If you are not using an IR camera or one equipped with "black" flash, the Bear will pick up the flash. Also, wipe you camera's down with some type of scent killer, remember, Yogi lives by his nose!!

And lastly, place then up high on small diameter trees that the Bear simply can't climb or reach. :thumbup:

And if permissable...HUNT YOGI!!! :thumbup: :mrgreen: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

AJ01 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 am
Something about cameras and bears that don't mix. I think biologist have determined it's something in the batteries the bears can smell. :eusa-snooty:
Or...it's like you said...they just don't like thier pictures being taken!! :eusa-naughty: :lol:

Seriously though....Bears can see the same wavelenghts as we do. If you are not using an IR camera or one equipped with "black" flash, the Bear will pick up the flash. Also, wipe you camera's down with some type of scent killer, remember, Yogi lives by his nose!!

And lastly, place then up high on small diameter trees that the Bear simply can't climb or reach. :thumbup:

....Andy, you are a Genius....but I am sure you hear that from the Mrs. every day! :eusa-clap: :lol: :eusa-clap: :lol:

....cleaning off the camera's with scent killer never even crossed my mind....these camera's were fairly low and easily accessible by Yogi....the cameras are IR emit no light or sound.....but they eeek of "human scent"......I would think even the deer who look at the camera's are smelling the "prosciutto, mozzarella and sweet roasted peppers!" :eusa-liar: :eusa-think: :mrgreen:

....and yes, we can hunt yogi in NYS, at the same time we hunt deer and don't have to pay any more for the privilege....It is part of, as the name implies," your BIG GAME license!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

High up in a small diameter tree? Don't know about bears in your area but thats one item we look for .
Trees being pushed over. Some bears seem to like pushing over small trees. Bigger trees get all clawed up.

I really believe that nothing is scent free to a bears nose.

Good luck with your cameras.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

amythntr wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:56 am

...... they eeek of "human scent"......I would think even the deer who look at the camera's are smelling the "prosciutto, mozzarella and sweet roasted peppers!" :eusa-liar: :eusa-think: :mrgreen:

Now we see the problem!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And...Do you toast the bread? Could you send me one Overnight Express via FedEx? Extra peppers!! :mrgreen: :lol:

And I NEVER hear that from "The Boss"!!! :eusa-naughty: :lol:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

AJ01 wrote:

anthony,
just a heads up any appreciable wind will toss smaller trees around giving you LOTS of pics with nothing.....don't ask how i know :!: :oops: :oops:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:46 pm
AJ01 wrote:

anthony,
just a heads up any appreciable wind will toss smaller trees around giving you LOTS of pics with nothing.....don't ask how i know :!: :oops: :oops:
I didn't mean twigs!! :lol: :lol:

I put a lot of cameras 10-12 feet off the ground. Not too many "unexplained photos" . However...at ground level I get a lot of "wonder what triggered that" photos. Grass swaying, weeds, limbs off trees, birds, squirrels, Trash Pandas (racoons) for sure. Armadillos,possums...I think ya get my drift!!! :lol: :lol:

And I don't live where we have 40 mph wind gust unless it's a tornado or a severe thunderstorm!! :wtf:
And if that's the case, I don't care about the camera!! :lol: :lol:

And up high keeps a lot of "two-legged varmints" from stealing or trashing your cameras. Not many thieves carry ladders with them. And yes...we have our share of folks down here that don't understand the concept of "STAY OFF MY LAND!!" :eusa-naughty:
I've had the pleasure to capture several individuals over the years that thought they were stealing stuff and getting away with it, but didn't, just because of overhead cameras. :thumbup:
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

AJ01 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:38 pm
Deaf jeff wrote:
AJ01 wrote:

anthony,

I put a lot of cameras 10-12 feet off the ground. Not too many "unexplained photos" . However...at ground level I get a lot of "wonder what triggered that" photos. Grass swaying, weeds, limbs off trees, birds, squirrels, Trash Pandas (racoons) for sure. Armadillos,possums...I think ya get my drift!!! :lol: :lol:

And I don't live where we have 40 mph wind gust unless it's a tornado or a severe thunderstorm!! :wtf:

And up high keeps a lot of "two-legged varmints" from stealing or trashing your cameras. Not many thieves carry ladders with them. And yes...we have our share of folks down here that don't understand the concept of "STAY OFF MY LAND!!" :eusa-naughty:
I've had the pleasure to capture several individuals over the years that thought they were stealing stuff and getting away with it, but didn't, just because of overhead cameras. :thumbup:
my disabilities insist my cameras are about waist high for the most part. maybe those yogi's like the antennas :shock: :?: :lol: . i have the non cell variety and the worst thing that has happened(so far) was they bit the tag end of the mounting strap off. and i get VERY close up pics of them every year
i guess i have been really lucky with trespassers. have had this 80 acres for 28 years and have never got a pic nor seen another person that was not hunting with me on the property. county road on north end and gas pipeline on west side and south end. i am sure the low deer population in my area keeps people away and thats fine by me. :thumbup:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:46 pm
AJ01 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:38 pm
Deaf jeff wrote:

anthony,

my disabilities insist my cameras are about waist high for the most part. maybe those yogi's like the antennas :shock: :?: :lol: . i have the non cell variety and the worst thing that has happened(so far) was they bit the tag end of the mounting strap off. and i get VERY close up pics of them every year
i guess i have been really lucky with trespassers. have had this 80 acres for 28 years and have never got a pic nor seen another person that was not hunting with me on the property. county road on north end and gas pipeline on west side and south end. i am sure the low deer population in my area keeps people away and thats fine by me. :thumbup:
Jeff...

I fully understand your dilemma. I have a long time buddy that cannot walk 100 yards to his ground blind. Too many back surgeries. :(
And he's way younger than I am.

I've got 88, plus 37, plus 40 and then another 20. All these acres are in different locations around me. I run cell cams on all of them. Everything is clearly marked "NO TRESPASSING" with signs and purple paint. Every season for the past 15 years or so, I have had to deal with poachers and trespassers in some shape, form or fashion. These properties have pipe gates with locks. I ended up giving keys or combos to all my local games wardens and telling them if it ain't me you find on this property, arrest them.
I have had feeders and blinds stolen off these properties. Not to mention the poached deer.

What I have discovered is that most simply don't care.

East Texas Hillbilles think that if that piece of dirt belonged to my great garndpa, then I still get to hunt. Actually had a guy tell me that.
The advent of cell cameras has put a big dent in trespassing and stealing.
Hopefully it will continue to improve.

Hope you enjoy the upcoming season!! :thumbup: