Adding a Picatinny rail

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shafferm

Adding a Picatinny rail

Post by shafferm »

I was looking to remove a bit of weight and height when adding an HHA optimizer. I picked up a foot long or so piece of aluminum picatinny rail and with some time at the mill I came up with the following. You do need the longer hold down spring and are running without the ADF and works easier with the trigger housings that are already drilled and tapped with four screws on top. I would recommend it only if you are really in need of the picatinny rail or are really looking to trim weight on the bow.

Here is the stack up on my try out things Micro 355 along with the HHA Optimizer, but would make for an extremely light setup with a red dot.

2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
longbow joe

Re: Adding a Picatinny rail

Post by longbow joe »

Nice looks awsome , that should buy you some down space.The height of the HHR was always been
an issue for me shooting ,l was told the tetra was a lower in height but not much.Hows the cocking rope with the dial.
I'm not a fan of the adf either and none of my bows have it either even my micro , just be careful dryfireing a micro without one is not gonna be as harmless as an exo or matrix bow .
Good luck with it. l was gonna put one on my y25 l just felt with the wood stock it would weigh a ton.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
shafferm

Re: Adding a Picatinny rail

Post by shafferm »

Cocking with the dial on this is not too bad, especially as I do not have the side extension on the HHA. Would be interesting to see how much lower the Tetra is versus the Optimizer, although probably does not make a huge difference in total height. I also looked at directly machining the picatinny rail into the top of the trigger group, unfortunately there is not quite enough spare material to go that route without interfering with the rest of the internals. Definitely do not want to dry fire it in this configuration, trade off for weight reduction and shorter height at the loss of the ADF. It will still need a cheekpiece to get the eye up to the midline of the scope consistently.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers