ANYBODY ON THE RIGHT COAST OF US EXPERIENCING CWD?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Eck

Re: ANYBODY ON THE RIGHT COAST OF US EXPERIENCING CWD?

Post by Eck »

CWD is here in Virginia, in multiple counties that border WVA. I sat in on a CWD briefing earlier in the week put on by the Virginia DWR. According to them, CWD has also been detected in PA and Maryland.

Of note is that deer can carry (and transmit) CWD for 18-24 months before showing symptoms of the disease. Once it manifests itself, it is 100% fatal. DWR does not recommend consuming deer that are symptomatic of CWD. The disease is transmitted by prions, which are essentially deviant proteins carried in deer urine, feces, and saliva. Any place that deer aggregate is a potential transmission zone.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Eck wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:13 am
CWD is here in Virginia, in multiple counties that border WVA. I sat in on a CWD briefing earlier in the week put on by the Virginia DWR. According to them, CWD has also been detected in PA and Maryland.

Of note is that deer can carry (and transmit) CWD for 18-24 months before showing symptoms of the disease. Once it manifests itself, it is 100% fatal. DWR does not recommend consuming deer that are symptomatic of CWD. The disease is transmitted by prions, which are essentially deviant proteins carried in deer urine, feces, and saliva. Any place that deer aggregate is a potential transmission zone.
....thanks Eck....haven't heard back yet from the NYS DEC, nor have I seen any postings from anyone else on the various NYS hunting forums....the pictures that someone in the area sent me of the "fawn's" that were picked up by the DEC bore no resemblance to the doe we saw on camera about a month ago....we shall see.
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

In NC I help out by giving the biologist the heads of just about any deer I kill so he can test them. It's gotta be an "adult". He doesn't want yearlings. Says they won't show it if they have it. ???
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:50 pm
In NC I help out by giving the biologist the heads of just about any deer I kill so he can test them. It's gotta be an "adult". He doesn't want yearlings. Says they won't show it if they have it. ???
.....interesting Keith.....the two deer found along the road were fawns....I wonder if they were just killed by cars?.....HOWEVER, the doe we have on camera was an older doe and looked terrible.....have not seen it since....also, have not heard anyone else in the are discuss any issues or problems....
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

To my understanding,the problem with just letting nature run it's course and thin the heard, is that Prions are exceedingly durable in the environment. So they remain there and active potentially for years. So the idea is to eliminate the potentially infected deer to limit the spread of prions in the environment. Once they get spread the herd will continue to suffer or die out entirely
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
GGC

Post by GGC »

Not CWD in NJ although...
I do know we have an outbreak of EHD/Blue tongue. Not sure how widespread the problem is, but we have found a bunch of decaying deer at the farm in zone 17. That farm is only a few miles south of Assunpink WMA. Zone 50 is also problematic.
I'll see if F&W has any additional info to share.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

….the DEC biologists said that the result of testing came back negative…. We have hot seen pictures on cameras of the doe we saw in July that CLEARLY was sick!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
GGC

Post by GGC »

I know it's off topic but important to the guys who hunt in NJ.
Gathering some additional info, deer from Burlington County to Morris County are dying from EHD.
That's from South Jersey to North Jersey and in between. Not a good sign since we are in bow season.
Contractors who pick up the dead deer have seen major increases lately.
Hope we get some early hard frosts to stop the spread.