Painting and flight rail considerations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big45

Painting and flight rail considerations

Post by Big45 »

I’ve been thinking about giving my BD380 a paint job, more so because I have a few scratches on the flight rail there is one that has removed about half of an inch of the finish and has exposed the aluminum. I was wondering if this will effect the tolerances and therefore accuracy of the flight rail at all? Anyone tried something similar with good results?
Hatchet

Re: Painting and flight rail considerations

Post by Hatchet »

I tried painting a blue Apex rail and didn't have a lot of luck. Tried etching primer and several types of paint and ended up with scuffing, chipping and lots of scratches. My plan is to ship it out for Cerakote over the winter.
Maybe you'll have better luck. If you have any luck please let us know how you did it.
Take care
Last edited by Hatchet on Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Big45 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:24 pm
I’ve been thinking about giving my BD380 a paint job, more so because I have a few scratches on the flight rail there is one that has removed about half of an inch of the finish and has exposed the aluminum. I was wondering if this will effect the tolerances and therefore accuracy of the flight rail at all? Anyone tried something similar with good results?
The finish being gone won't affect the flight of the arrow. Post some pictures if you are able though.

Agree with Corey, if you want to give it a pretty new finish, Cerakote is the way to go. I have it in mind to do a couple of micros, but still rocking the 2-tone setups for the time being.
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
janesy

Post by janesy »

Cerakote Elite series, altho limited colours compared to H series, is the best for rails and risers.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Teflon coatings are very durable. I had a couple Excal mainframes coated by DONWELL Industries .
Donwell specializes in quality Teflon coatings for medical instruments.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family