Jakhammer broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grimsby7

Jakhammer broadheads

Post by grimsby7 »

I was wondering if anyone used Wasps Jakhammer broad heads. I have an Exomag .I have heard that the band that holds the broad head together may break and the will open up during the flight. I heard that if the band breaks before you shoot it the broadhead is useless ,is this true .If anyone Has used them in taking a deer please reply.
Dale Duryea

Post by Dale Duryea »

I have shot a turkey with one it worked . I use Muzzy three blade 100 grain for deer I shoot A emag I shot the jack hammer for practice and it seemed to open which in turn takes a lot of power from the arrow . A deer you need more power then you would a turkey I think . I have had some brake up before it reach the target finding parts leading to the target. hope this helps
Dale Duryea

Post by Guest »

I used JakHammers with great success from my Vixen. When I went to the Exocet I had problems with them opening in flight, and when they do open in flight they fly wildly! I was shooting them at 294 fps when the opening occurred. I went to a heavier band and they were fine. Then I went to minimum weight carbons at 310 fps, and the premature opening was back! I have switched to fixed blade heads to eliminate uncertainty and worry. You could probably double band and be fine, but why use something you can't be 100% sure is going to work as intended? I like the cutting area mechanicals offer, but one malfunction might mean a deer lost to a poor hit, and I'm not willing to take the chance!
wabi - nli
Dale Duryea

Post by Dale Duryea »

If you want a head to shoot like a jackhammer go to maybe a slick trick I have shot these and like the way they fly .I went a stayed with the muzzy for big game because I have used them in the past. I have been useing the crossbow to hunt with for two years and the muzzy has produced two deer and one boar to date.why fix some thing that isn't broke .you will have to shoot different heads until you find the one you like .
Dale Duryea
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

As wabi said, I believe they would work just fine with a Vixen. Anything above that has too much UMPH to take a chance on premature opening.

A friend of mine uses them out of a 280 FPS vertical bow and they are devastating. They knock a hole in a deer that you wouldn’t believe.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
PaJack

Post by PaJack »

I have killed 2 deer this season with the 125gr. and I had no problem except for a coyote,long story... :D
Hunt Safe,
Jack
skeeter

Post by skeeter »

I hunt with wasp jak-hammers exclusivly and think they are the best broadhead going,fixed or mechanical.There will always be debate about broadheads just like the ford chevy thing.The last 5 deer i harvested were all taken with the jak-hammer and with devastating results.These are the yardages they went after being shot.75,30,35,40,40.If you shoot them where you should they will always blow right through leaving a huge entry and exit hole breaking ribs on both sides.I shoot a vixen using 2117's cut at 18" and using 75 grain jak's.I use only one o ring for this setup and has never failed me but i make sure i use new o rings every year.For bows shooting over 300feet per second , two o rings should be used so they will not open on flight .This is from my experience.My father has taken 6 deer with his junk horton using the 100 grain with the same results except for one where it jumped the string on a longer then should be taken shot where i finished it with my excalibur.This was not a broadhead but a hunter fault.Hope this helps a bit.
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

I switched to grim reapers last year because we were out of jackhammers-I lost a small buck with jackhammer tipped bolt last year even with a double lung pass through (one blade broke) but that was due to the deer sliding down a deep ravine in a heavy rain and I was told by the local constabulary not to pursue it since it was thanksgiving eve and they had better things to do than try to pull me out if I slipped and broke my leg on a 80 yard 60 degree shale decline.

this year I shot a large doe and the bolt i loaded was the last of the jackhammers. it was double lung shot just forward of the liver-12 yards with my favorite hunting bow (I own all three ohio legal bows made by excalibur) my old dacron strung vixen. the exit hole (I found the bolt about 20 yards past the place the deer was standing a couple weeks later) was huge and the doe only went about 70 yards and left a massive blood trail.

the accuracy of them is tops and when I shot a deer with a first generation exomag in 1998 I don't recall having any problems with them either
grimsby7

Post by grimsby7 »

Thanks guys for replying with your experiences .You all been most helpful.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

When I shot and hunted with a vertical bow I used the Zwickeys.

I had two dozen 2413s swaged and the Zwickeys always mounted perfectly on the shafts.

It was trick and a half to get them on the adpaters right. Most folks put way too much hot glue on them..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]