Mag 340

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bansheeslayer

Mag 340

Post by Bansheeslayer »

I am going to be shooting the mag 340 with stock nock tuned quills and 100 grain g5 meta meat or trailblazers hunting white tails. I can’t wait to see how this weight and speed work. I have never hunted with an arrow this light but they assure me this is a great weight and set up for this bow. Anyone else using quills and 100gr heads?
Thanks in advance.
308 short banshee
Tact zone scope
16.5in pro flight arrows
150 grain bolt cutters
Boo

Re: Mag 340

Post by Boo »

You’re using the stock arrows?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I may be wrong, but I was under the assumption that if you shot a standard original Quill bolt, then in order to achieve the weight needed for your arrow/bolt set-up, to make recommended weight, you needed a 150g point of some design.

The standard original Quill was an Easton, correct? Since then they have been replaced with a "better" arrow. This allows user's to shoot 100g points.

My favorite set-up is a Black Eagle Executioner cut to 16.5. 110gr. BRASS insert up front. Lumenoks in the rear. With a 100gr. pointy thing up in the nose cone, it give me around 400g total weight.

I have some of the original Quills laying around. I use them to hunt hogs, they get 150 Bolt Cutters up front and I don't shoot more than 25 yards with them. They serve their purpose with Hogs.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Boo

Post by Boo »

All OE arrows are 250 grains. If you use them, don't expect some mechanicals to work as intended. Also, accuracy will rarely be good for hunting for anything at 30 of further. The FOC is inadequate for pinpoint accuracy. The accuracy may be good enough for some people but not for me. On the OE arrows, you have to start with 125 grain heads to achieve anything close to accurate and 150 is where real accuracy starts. I have a 315 Micro set up to use a total of 380 grains but I only use it when my bait is about 20 yards and I use fixed at that.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Personally I would not fire any bolts weighing less than 400 total grains. You want the extra weight for accuracy and penetration, but the bow will appreciate it the most. If you are going to use the factory setup with the aluminum front inserts, use 125 grain heads at a minimum. JMHO.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

My Micro 335 is "weighted down" with 16" BEA Zombie Slayers, 110gr brass inserts, Lumenoks, and 150gr broadheads. Super accurate and very very hard hitting. A light arrow will lose lots more speed, energy, and momentum than a heavier arrow, all hurting terminal performance. The name of the game is to get a pass through....no matter what you hit in the animal.....and the chances of that go way up with a heavy, high FOC arrow, that has a very very stiff spine. And a broadhead that sustains absolutely no damage on it's way through helps a bunch too.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Bansheeslayer

Post by Bansheeslayer »

Well plans have changed shooting Excalibur’s recommended set up of quills and 125 grain heads for a total of 375 grains my left limb exploded in less than 200 shots. Accuracy was all over the place the day before then the next morning I cocked it back and snap it went. Will never listen to them again on arrow set ups. I am doing as my gut told me to do in the first place.
Black eagle zombie slayer
110 brass
125grain annihilator head
Igniter lighted nocks
Sk200 vanes
Around 450 grain set up.
308 short banshee
Tact zone scope
16.5in pro flight arrows
150 grain bolt cutters
janesy

Post by janesy »

Bansheeslayer wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:20 am
Well plans have changed shooting Excalibur’s recommended set up of quills and 125 grain heads for a total of 375 grains my left limb exploded in less than 200 shots. Accuracy was all over the place the day before then the next morning I cocked it back and snap it went. Will never listen to them again on arrow set ups. I am doing as my gut told me to do in the first place.
Black eagle zombie slayer
110 brass
125grain annihilator head
Igniter lighted nocks
Sk200 vanes
Around 450 grain set up.
Post some pics up of the busted limb, curious to see where it let go. Not many mag340 issues to date.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

Screenshot from his post elsewhere:
adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Exploded? That's a strange choice of words.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Exploded is quite an exaggeration. Not sure why people are so dramatic. Anyhow, that picture is a manufacturer's defect caused by grinding the edge of the limb to get rid of imperfections coming out of the mold. It is not from shooting 350 gr arrows. It would have happened if you were shooting 500 gr arrows. It often happens when the bow is cocked. You don't see this often at all. Small splinters caused by semi dry-fires is usually what is seen.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Those are some beat up limbs! Lol The camo is falling off both limbs.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
wheelsquad

Post by wheelsquad »

bigbowman wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:54 pm
Those are some beat up limbs! Lol The camo is falling off both limbs.
That Realtree escape camo pattern does kind of make it look like the camo is falling off, even in the factory image:

https://excaliburcrossbow.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Colors-Mag340-RealtreeExcape-v2.jpg

adapt3Dprints.square.site
(Charger EXT blackout covers, Charger handle stow brackets, Cheek Rests)

327 Short Banshee
BD417
Micro/Matrix hybrid Steambow
Franken360