Any Ramcat Savage users?...
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Normous

Re: Ramcat Savage Broadhead

Post by Normous »

Sorry to highjack your original question.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Used their fixed heads, worked great. I can only say that I found them to be well made, and sharp. I would trust the customer reviews from sporting goods stores, I look for the complainers to determine if there is user error. :lol: :lol:
I would not hesitate getting them,especially if my son's safety was a concern.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Shot the Savages today through paper out to 50 yds using both my 405 and 380 using the O-ring on the high speed crossbow groove. They stayed closed through the paper every time even re-using the same o-ring(an actual o-ring)and each opened on way into target with crisp cuts on way out. POI at 50yards is just under an inch right and low from my FP’s.The heads I shot had no damage to the blades and still spun true after a dozen shots or so into my target.
I like the 3 grooves/choices for different bows but honestly the design is brilliant with these grooves being rounded rather than notched. If you need more holding protection for say a 440 Bulldog, you could easily slide(and it does slide easy)all the way forward..I did try this and my blades still opened on the face of the target. The o-ring always slide back on entry and down the shaft halfway. I imagine it is a fool proof design and uses less energy to “slide” rather than stretch like rubber bands have to trapped against a notch. The blades stayed pretty sharp even.

I think the tip’s concave scoops help it penetrate, and provide accuracy. I suspect the weighted Nose sitting forward more and added drag is what cause the slight deviation vs short FP’s. < 1” difference at 50yds is pretty darned good...although my Ramcat Hydroshocks required no correction out to 60yds. My best guess is as said the nose is bigger to push air over the o-ring and that causes more drag.
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Those heads are quite a bit longer than a bullet point type FP so I think you are on the right track. No doubt drag will be more, but FOC will also be ever so slightly changed by the longer BH. Might affect trajectory like you are seeing. But that all applies to the vertical. Being off right is something else.

I loved how the Magnums flew out of my bows. All dead on with FPs as you saw too. I think the scoops helped with that to provide better airflow over the delta wing blades.....which also help with flight. Not sure they will have the same effect on these as there are no blades sticking out during flight. But they should help with the wound channel
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Have shot a few with the Hydroshocks..they work as well as any 1.5" fixed blade does yet fly as well as any mech..I can personally recall one incident when my youngest made a less than ideal shot on a doe that was only recovered because of the damage caused by the back cut blades.

I think the 1" right is because of the the helical/offset of the closed blades adding to the right spin vs FP's having none.. I could be wrong though.
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Spin and wind direction impacting POI is definitely a thing with bullets...esp. black powder cartridges. The guy I buffalo hunted with was a big SHarps guy and had all kinds of charts etc to show how wind direction affected POI. I wondered if it held with arrows, but as I learn more, i kind of doubt it because our arrows just don't spin that much like a bullet.

I do think though that if you had a FP that matched the length of your BH that things would match up.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><