Boltcutters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hatchet

Re: Boltcutters

Post by Hatchet »

When comparing broadheads it's important to note that the broadhead with the longest successful run was a sharp rock tied to a stick. If you look at it that way a Boltcutter is a very sophisticated piece of equipment.
Take care
Hatchet
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Hatchet wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:04 am
When comparing broadheads it's important to note that the broadhead with the longest successful run was a sharp rock tied to a stick. If you look at it that way a Boltcutter is a very sophisticated piece of equipment.
Take care
Hatchet
😂🤣👍

You’re correct!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

We all know that a field point put thru both lungs will kill any big game animal.
I killed a number of deer with a stickbow using a broadhead called a wolverine ,it was a long narrow 2 blade head with a 1 1/8 cut,just above my states 1inch cut minimum.
It pennitrated very well flew like a field point and killed deer when put in the "correct place".
My experience with the head even on some really great shots was a poor blood trail.
I have said that my area in SE Pennsylvania is very humid and hot in summer and literally "jungle like " along the tidal delaware river, especially in the first 2 months of the season we get green vines and stuff even in the winter and you can loose a deer very very quickly in their territory even when shot well.
I small cut broadhead like the boltcutter simply dosnt make the "cut" as far as l experienced.
A excaliber xact cut broadhead and a boltcutters blood trail is night and day.
An xact cut will put a turkey down quickly a boltcutter will not unless it's a totally perfect shot and the bird will die but 400 yards away.
Whimpy broadhead Whimpy blood trail .Today's crossbows even ones 300fps have plenty of power for a large expanding broadhead why not take advantage of it.
I understand your dilemma of shooting thru the mesh and when l did that l was shooting a magnus stinger it was fixed but had more cut and went thru the mesh every time and the ramcat also did well
I killed a few deer with the boltcutter and 2 bear and it's tough and kills but it is never gonna be the short trail broadhead king .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

retrieverman wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:01 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:52 pm
Well I’m sticking my neck out a bit but with all the ExcaliburCrossbow hunts I have watched with Dan and others representing Excalibur I have to think they used Excalibur heads, and they seem to do quite well! JMHO
Given the way the media “twists” the truth, do you honestly believe they would tell you anything but that Boltcutters work better than any other broadhead in the history of broadheads?!? :wink:
Well we can only assume that since Excalibur was sponsoring the hunts that they were using those heads, not like we’re talking Hunter here! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

The 150 grain Boltcutters are great broadheads… I’ve killed several deer over the years with them. Blood trails can be funny with any broadhead depending on the arrow placement. I’m shooting them again this year out of my little Vixen II as a backup bow… but I do reserve the right to move the Vixen up to first string on any given hunt!! :D :D
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Mark when l got my vixen2 years back l assumed that l had to use a fixed head for the 260ish fps bow to do its job.
After a while l was shooting the fairly large spitfires l killed about 10 deer and l also killed number of deer with the large xact out out of the vixen .
Last year l made 3 clean kills with the swat mini and the vixen all but a few quartering away shots all passed thru.
A lot of compound shooters are barely getting 260 fps out of their setups and don't hesitate to shoot a mechanical.
In the back of my mind when I'm hunting with the vixen l am very aware that it is not super powerful and l am very critical with my shots but that little thing is just pinpoint accurate l love that bow.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:19 pm
Mark when l got my vixen2 years back l assumed that l had to use a fixed head for the 260ish fps bow to do its job.
After a while l was shooting the fairly large spitfires l killed about 10 deer and l also killed number of deer with the large xact out out of the vixen .
Last year l made 3 clean kills with the swat mini and the vixen all but a few quartering away shots all passed thru.
A lot of compound shooters are barely getting 260 fps out of their setups and don't hesitate to shoot a mechanical.
In the back of my mind when I'm hunting with the vixen l am very aware that it is not super powerful and l am very critical with my shots but that little thing is just pinpoint accurate l love that bow.
I love it too Joe!! That’s good to know… thanks!!
I used a Rocket Steelhead out of it on last years deer… it’s a small cutting diameter, but blew though like a hot knife.
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads