String breakage?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Eck

String breakage?

Post by Eck »

Has anyone had their (Excal) crossbow string break without warning? A friend had his let go today. The serving was in good shape (no sign of abrasion or cutting) and just “let go” when he shot it.

I’ve never seen heard of this before, but I’m not exactly surrounded by crossbow shooters where I am. Just curious If this is one of those odd ones. I think it was a “stock” continuous loop string, FWIW.

Thanks!

Eck
Last edited by Eck on Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
xcaliber

Re: String breakage?

Post by xcaliber »

Never heard of that yet. Wow.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Eck wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:35 pm
Has anyone had their (Excal) crossbow string break without warning? The serving was in good shape (no sign of abrasion or cutting) and just “let got” when he shot it.

I’ve never seen heard of this before, but I’m not exactly surrounded by crossbow shooters where I am. Just curious If this is one of those odd ones. I think it was a “stock” continuous loop string, FWIW.

Thanks!

Eck
I've seen strings start to come apart after they have been nicked with a Broadhead, but never seen or heard of one breaking for no reason. I'm sure it's happened before, but that's an aweful lot of strands to just up and break at the same time
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

It happened at the 10th shot of my 440. I don't normally check my servings every 10 shots or 50 shots for that matter. After reserving, the serving got cut completely through in another 10 shots. The latch was the culprit. I know that other people who use aluminum rear nocks had their string cut with just one shot. They nicked an arrow, causing a burr and that sailed right through the serving and the string.
The strings are so overbuilt that it takes a serious encounter with something to have the "break".
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup i have had a couple of them break in the middle. Now for the no reason or the reason mine did. Older strings, was not a bad made string/s they just get old n fibers start to loose their strength n elasticity. Ole Sol has a nasty habit of breaking down lots of things through the years. Once my strings get 5 years old n have been shot a lot, i chunk them
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I only use these for the past 5 years or so, my serving likes them. I saw some funky things even with the plastic nocks. Any nick in one must be addressed. Didn't know that could cause a catastrophic string failure though.

https://www.blackeaglearrows.com/product-p/flat-nocks-alum.htm
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!