Tender doe down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Tender doe down

Post by DuckHunt »

Having just got back from a pilgrimage down south for some squirrel hunting and bass fishing, I was itching to get out this morning. After an alarm clock hiccup, I found myself in my stand right at sunrise. It wasn't so bad because it was a dark cloudy morning so good visibility came later than normal anyway.

I was out more just to check the trail cameras but a small doe fed to within my comfortable range about ten minutes before I was planning to climb down. I was picturing how good she would look in a biscuit. :lol: As she fed on acorns, I took a clear shot from a rest with my Matrix 350 with a Truglo Titanium-X 4-blade. The arrow flight was exactly as desired and landed perfectly. After the arrow passed through, it hit solid rocks behind the doe and generated a pretty impressive shower of sparks. You can see them here: https://youtu.be/rBhjWDHreiM

The doe ran downhill about 45 yards and came to a stop about 30 yards from my stand. The blood trail was impressive from the large cut.
With an entrance hole like that, it's easy to see why it gushed with each bound.
Gotta love those 4-blade holes.

Now that I have a couple doe under my belt in this an 'Earn-a-buck' county, I can start preparing to hopefully encounter this teddy next week with a rifle, or the weeks after with one of my Excaliburs.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Re: Tender doe down

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on the doe, she will be tasty! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the nice doe harvest , great shot placement.
Good luck with the Bear !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Great shot! Congrats on the Doe
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Hey Jeff!!!
That Doe looks like you hit her with an axe!! :wtf: Great shot!! :thumbup: And I'm sure the backstrap will be extra tender!! :mrgreen:

Hope you smack that Bear!! That would be too cool!! Good luck!
And "Congrats" on the nice Doe! :thumbup:
Last edited by AJ01 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Awesome!! I'm about ready to put a doe in the freezer myself....mmmmmm backstraps!!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Nice shooting. Looks like your ready to fill a buck tag! Good luck.
Hatchet
janesy

Post by janesy »

DuckHunt wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:29 pm
Having just got back from a pilgrimage down south for some squirrel hunting and bass fishing, I was itching to get out this morning. After an alarm clock hiccup, I found myself in my stand right at sunrise. It wasn't so bad because it was a dark cloudy morning so good visibility came later than normal anyway.

I was out more just to check the trail cameras but a small doe fed to within my comfortable range about ten minutes before I was planning to climb down. I was picturing how good she would look in a biscuit. :lol: As she fed on acorns, I took a clear shot from a rest with my Matrix 350 with a Truglo Titanium-X 4-blade. The arrow flight was exactly as desired and landed perfectly. After the arrow passed through, it hit solid rocks behind the doe and generated a pretty impressive shower of sparks. You can see them here: https://youtu.be/rBhjWDHreiM

The doe ran downhill about 45 yards and came to a stop about 30 yards from my stand. The blood trail was impressive from the large cut.
With an entrance hole like that, it's easy to see why it gushed with each bound.
Gotta love those 4-blade holes.

Now that I have a couple doe under my belt in this an 'Earn-a-buck' county, I can start preparing to hopefully encounter this teddy next week with a rifle, or the weeks after with one of my Excaliburs.
Great video 👍 that's slo-mo was very smooth, what camera are you using?
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

I had a gut feeling you were going to tag early. The exit wound is substantial, I may have mentioned I like big cut mechanicals too. :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

janesy wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:36 pm
I'm using a Tactacam Solo Hunter. It's a simple camera made exactly for this task. The slo-mo is added during editing with Microsoft Photos. It allows me to trim off the fluff and get to the money shot. Then you can add slow-mo exactly where you need it. Seeing the nock disappear in slow motion is pretty neat. This time it was followed by fireworks.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

DuckHunt wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:49 pm
janesy wrote:
I'm using a Tactacam Solo Hunter. It's a simple camera made exactly for this task. The slo-mo is added during editing with Microsoft Photos. It allows me to trim off the fluff and get to the money shot. Then you can add slow-mo exactly where you need it. Seeing the nock disappear in slow motion is pretty neat. This time it was followed by fireworks.
I didn't realize there was a video so I went and watched it. Looked like a magic trick. Abracadabra! Poof!
Very cool.
Take care
Hatchet
janesy

Post by janesy »

DuckHunt wrote:
janesy wrote:
Ok, I use a 5.0. So you recorded in normal, say 60 frames and then edited it with Microsoft?
I cant get that Smoot even when recording in 2.7 or 4 K . Maybe I need to learn to edit more.

Very cool footage
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Hey man nice shot!

Reminds me to charge my go pro for my Oct 01st afternoon hunt... lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

janesy wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:13 pm
DuckHunt wrote:
janesy wrote:
Ok, I use a 5.0. So you recorded in normal, say 60 frames and then edited it with Microsoft?
I cant get that Smoot even when recording in 2.7 or 4 K . Maybe I need to learn to edit more.

Very cool footage
Yep, its all in the editing. The Solo Hunter is only 1080p @ 30fps so yours should look great with a Tactacam 5. Open your video in Microsoft Photos and you'll see options to trim and Add slo-mo. You'll have to play with the timing on the slo-mo to get it just right as they only switch to slo-mo for about a second. I've found that the sweet spot seems to be switching to slo-mo after the shot while the arrow is still in route.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Great shot and video
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335