Arrow weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gerald

Arrow weight

Post by gerald »

I am going to use a 20 inch Gold tip Laser-2 with a 125gr Nap Thunderhead. Does anyone know what this would weigh?
nchunterkw

Re: Arrow weight

Post by nchunterkw »

I found this page

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007448669

If this is correct...then you will be around 318gr which is TOO LIGHT. DO NOT SHOOT THESE.

Excalibur minimum weight is 350 grains. This also says these come with half moon nocks. You need flat nocks with an Excalibur. AT 7.3grains per inch, I would think these arrows would be pretty "flexy"...which IMO is not good. You would have a rough time getting Thunderheads to fly right on these.

The arrow/broadhead is the most important part of your setup...as it hits the deer. Don't skimp on this. Thunderheads are a good BH, but they are big and a little prone to the ferrule bending. There are better choices, but these can be good.

You want a stiff arrow (like a Black Eagle Executioner or Zombie Slayer), and a heavy front end. So you want a brass insert. If I were you on and Exomax I would shoot...at deer....

20" Black Eagle Executioner or Zombie SLayer (0.003" straightness is fine) (9.1GPI = 182 gr)
110gr brass insert
125 gr fixed BH (Slick Trick Magnum, Magnus Stinger 4 blade, or try the Thunderheads but keep in mind the deal about them bending. There are many others as well.)
Blazer vanes put on with helical or at least RH offset (18 gr)
Lumenok (28ge), or flat plastic nock (8gr)

Total weight will be 443gr or 463gr depending on nock, AND the arrow will have good FOC which will increase your accuacy
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
lituani

Post by lituani »

Go to eBay and buy an inexpensive jewelers scale (search digital pocket scale). Delivered in one week or less. Don't waste money on anything over $20US.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

lituani wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:44 pm
Go to eBay and buy an inexpensive jewelers scale (search digital pocket scale). Delivered in one week or less. Don't waste money on anything over $20US.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:05 am
I found this page

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007448669

If this is correct...then you will be around 318gr which is TOO LIGHT. DO NOT SHOOT THESE.
:eusa-popcorn:
Last edited by xcaliber on Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Need to know what the insert weights are, etc. to know what you have.