Opening day success X 2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Opening day success X 2

Post by DuckHunt »

Well, opening day of the 2021 Va archery season is one we won't forget, if nothing more than looking back and laughing at ourselves. It started well before daylight with my daughter pulling up to my house slowly when we were late to depart because she had a "low tire light". It was flat. I heard it coming. :lol: We dodged a couple deer on the way to woods. Then my fun began. When we were 3/4 of the way up the mountain, I noticed that I had left my cell phone in my truck. :eusa-doh: So I dropped all my gear and headed back down as she headed up to her stand. I was quite toasty once I finally got into my stand. I got everything into position, pulled my bow up then the worst realization ever came over me. My quiver...is in my truck. :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh: :lol: I pondered what to do. Already quite toasty, another trip down and back up was NOT going to happen. So I made the trek over to my daughters stand and borrowed two arrows. Nothing like rocking the pink fletching on opening morning. 8)

Twenty minutes later, about sunrise, I heard a lot of racket in the leaves about 70 yards behind me. Eventually I was able to tell it was multiple deer. Three small bucks and two doe fed under the oaks between my daughter and I for about a 30 minutes. The closest they got to me was 44 yards, which is way farther than I'd want to shoot an arrow not tuned to my bow. It would be close enough at 30y or under, but 44? Not worth trying.

Eventually the mature doe in the group wandered to within 28y of my daughter and she took a slightly quartering toward shot from a rest. We watched the doe for a few minutes before we both lost track of it. We sat until 9:30 before getting down to track. In the mean time, she had another doe at 30y and was thinking of a double. As it walked behind a tree she started to swing her bow around only to be busted by the other doe that was with it that she hadn't seen. We've all be there.

Once we got down and retrieved her arrow, it was covered in the bad stuff. Plenty of green slimy contents. I really began to question the shot and whether we'd find the deer. The deer stopped and stood about 30y after it was hit and we found blood there. Then blood was very light in the direction of travel. After about 25y it stopped. I pulled out my Leupold Thermal Tracker to look up ahead. After noting a couple warm rocks, I glanced to my left and bingo. There lay the doe not 20 yards away. It didn't go 60y from the point of impact. Once we got to the doe, the quartering too hit was near perfect. It clipped the edge of the front shoulder, and exited in front of the opposite hind leg. The inside of was full of blood. This was my daughters first bow kill in a number of years and her first with my old Micro 335.

Fast forward to mid-afternoon and we're back in the same stands. Sushi may not backpack well, but it tastes great in a treestand. :lol:

Just before sunset I caught movement at the edge of the ravine about 60 yards in front of me. I only saw from about the neck back, but could tell it was a good sized deer. It hung out until more than ten minutes after sunset under the oaks more than 50y in front of me. I couldn't see it, but the thermal tracker proved it was still up in that greenery.

About 15 minutes after sunset it was getting quite dim to me. With visibility fading, I pulled out the thermal tracker to see if I could see anything at distance. As I scanned around, I thought I heard a twig snap to my right. I swung that direction and the thermal tracker clearly showed a deer at 25 yards and closing. I put it away and grabbed my bow. With the scope I could clearly see it was a buck. Based on its body size alone, I decided to take it. As it stepped to a spot with a small hole through the tree limbs, I sent the arrow and it struck hard. It hit solidly near the center of the shoulder blade. The deer bolted back toward the thicket with the arrow sticking out breaking it off after about 5 yards when it contacted a tree. Within mere seconds, there was complete silence. The crash sounded rather spectacular.

Once we found the lumenok, blood was evident. The farther we went, the wilder it got. There were multiple bloody spots on trees above head high. I don't know how it got up that high. Then after what looks like must have been a final forward somersault, there he lay not 50 yards up into the thick stuff. Note by that time, it was quite dark.

With him getting up on me so quick, I didn't have time to turn on the Tactacam and didn't have time to look him over good. He ended up being a 4x2 six point. The side closest to me was the four point side.
The TruGlo Titanium-X 4-blade went through the shoulder blade and chest cavity and came to rest just under the skin after breaking the opposite elbow. The deer was a mess in the front end and it was evident why he went down so quickly. We just can believe he made it that far.

Getting him uphill out of the thicket proved to be quite the challenge. Eventually he was home, quartered up and on ice. That brought to an end the most successful, challenging, humbling and at times humorous opening days we've had in a while.

Hopefully we can start seeing more stories and success pictures. It's time for me to slow down and start counting points.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Re: Opening day success X 2

Post by xcaliber »

What a great day, the story is awesome. Sometimes, that type of a start turns out okay! :thumbup: :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Thanks for sharing your hunt. I enjoyed it.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats to both of you on the deer
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Congratulations! Enjoyed reading about your hunt.
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats! What a great hunt! Nice deer and pics.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Normous

Post by Normous »

I've lost track how many times I arrived at my tree stand and forgot something in my truck :shh:

Sushi for lunch....love it, that's a first here! :mrgreen:

You two make a good team , you could not ask for a better day together!
Cheers to both :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Great post, what an wonderful day you had.
Your daughter made a very nice shot on her Doe , sure to be wonderful table fair.
Always nice to get a buck with your bow , good looking deer congratulations to both of you !
What bow , arrow did you shoot ? Sounds like it preformed very well.
Last edited by gerald strine on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Congrats to both of you. That was a great story too. I like hearing the stories. It's one of my favorite things about being a hunter. As far as forgetting stuff..... I...uh what was I saying?😁
Take care
Hatchet
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Fantastic, double tick toters down & packed out. Congrats
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats to you and your daughter!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
HD Archer

Post by HD Archer »

Congratulations to you both, thanks for taking us along.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Congratulations nice hunt and story.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ODH

Post by ODH »

Congrats on an awesome hunt for you and your daughter! :eusa-clap:
grouse

Post by grouse »

I don't like sushi (it would probably be ok if you fried it) but I did enjoy your story. Congratulations!
axiom
350 SE