New to this crossbow stuff, questions........

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

The Butcher

New to this crossbow stuff, questions........

Post by The Butcher »

I am new to this crossbow hunting, though I've been bow hunting for 30 years. I guess I have been fairly sucessful, I've taken 25 deer with a hand bow, and only one with a crossbow. A shoulder injury, has forced me to use a crossbow, and the state issued me a handi-cap permit this year. I borrowed a Horton hunter, from my father-in-law, and did manage to shoot a doe at about 12 yds. I have been looking at the Excalibur bows, and have even picked up a few, and left fingerprints all over the exomax at the cabela's. I was wondering about the leaving the bow cocked question, in the forum. I used to leave my recurve strung all season, and did not notice a decrease in poundage. I have also left the Horton in the cocked position, from sun up to sun down, in the stand, and when I shot the bolt at the end of the day, it seemed to go in the spot. Are the recurve limbs different? I really like the feel of the excalibur, and have read nothing but good reports. I do not however want to have to let the bow down every few hours though. Just asking opinions, I have limited experience with the crossbows, because of our state regulations. They have just recently permitted the use of crossbows in our primative season, and for handicapped people. Just need a lot of information before I buy. Thanks Butcher
If you always tell the truth, there is nothing to remember. Mark Twain
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

When I do an all day hunt I leave my exomax cocked from sun up to sun down. As of yet I wave not noticed a change in were my bolt goes at the end of a day.
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I too leave my exomag cocked all day long when hunting and have not had any problems.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"

re

Post by Guest »

Last fall i left my exocet cocked for 9 hrs. and then shot it off of sandbags at 40 yds, the point of impact was the same as before ( in the 10 ring) i dont believe it will hurt a thing to hunt all day .

Just my opinion darkhollowarcher( NLI)
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I don't think it will effect the limbs at all...at least...it never has on my Exocet. One thing you have to watch for is the string stretching which will lower your brace height. This is worse on a new string than on one that has been used. I leave my bow strung all season...Oct 1 until Jan 18. Usually, my bow is cocked about 4 hrs at a time. It would be cocked right now and up a tree with me, but the dagone wind is blowing 30 mph here this morning and I've heard a couple rumbles of thunder. :x
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I leave mine strung all season too. It has been cocked over eight hours a day and not problem.

Where you can get into a problem is leaving it in a HOT environment cocked or strung. The hot environment could be in your vehicle on a hot day.

IF that ever happens you can restore your limb back to strength by "baking" them in an oven for an hour at a tad over 200 degrees.

Of course you would have to remove the limbs from your bow first.. :wink:
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Chef Woody, never knew you could bake your limbs back to life! To add some spice to your recipe: throw in a pair of socks(preferably freshly washed ones :wink: ) for those cold fall mornings and voila! Excalibur delight! Best served cold, in a tree stand, followed by a large buck! :mrgreen:
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Woodsman wrote:Chef Woody, never knew you could bake your limbs back to life!...........
Heat got them that way and heat will bring them back...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
grimsby7

Post by grimsby7 »

I leave my exomag cocked all day and have had no problems with it.I do remove the string from the bow at the end of the season .