Whoa! Slow down!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Whoa! Slow down!

Post by DuckHunt »

My tags are disappearing quickly this year. Gotta love it when the acorns are a plenty, because last year was the opposite. This afternoon I worked later than normal but decided to hit the woods anyway because my recent transition to all cellular trail cameras appears to have hit a snag of the bear variety. The bear went through my trail cameras like a hurricane, but that's for another post.

I was in the stand by 5:15pm with just over two hours of decent light left. Though I took a fat buck on Saturday, there are a few targets I'd much rather prefer and at least one more antlerless tag I have to fill to free up the third buck tag in this earn-a-buck county. The landowner was mowing until almost 6:30pm and I thought that may work in my favor. But apparently the deer didn't care for all of the noise and I didn't see anything until about fifteen minutes after he stopped. Eventually a small deer stepped out behind me in bow range. At first glance, I thought it may be the small 4" spike that is still velvet covered that I have running around. I looked at it a few times and ranged it at 28 yards a couple times. After numerous looks, I finally realized it wasn't a spike just as it got behind some limbs where I didn't have a shot. I got into position with a good rest on my shooting rail with my Micro 340 and ranged the next possible spot the deer would provide a shot opportunity. I have a trail cam on a tree overlooking fallen acorns at 41 yards. The deer was coming right past it. Once the deer stepped into a clear lane at 42 yards, I put the 40 yard point behind the shoulder and squeezed off the shot. The trajectory was spot on, though the Tactacam wasn't. :eusa-doh: Oh well, it wasn't a monster. That makes two in a row not on camera.

After the shot, the deer took off and I heard it crash just as it got out of site which was about 75 yards. I immediately climbed down and began the recovery as I had an additional trial camera I need to repoint. Darn bear. :evil: The lumenok lit the way perfectly and for once it seems that it landed softly enough that I get to reuse a broadhead and arrow. The shot was only a few yards from the fireworks from a couple weeks ago.
Before I even reached the arrow, I saw blood on the ground by my trail cam. I know it didn't capture the action as it was pointed skyward. :roll: I started walking the direction of travel and could see blood although light was fading quickly. I can't say for sure if the Leupold Thermal Tracker is making me a better hunter, or a more lazy one. :lol: Because before I even head in the direction of travel I scan that way for heat. Although I was following blood, it's nice to get confirmation of what you can't see yet. It certainly makes me a more efficient hunter.
It ended up being a button buck with very small buttons. He fits the size that my wife loves to have in the freezer.
The total distance travelled was about 50 yards. I was using a Truglo Titanium-X 4-blade with Black Eagle Zombies with brass inserts. The shot placement was all I could have hoped, taking off the top of the heart.

It's time to relax some and maybe smell the roses while I wait for the bigger bucks to start moving. In the mean time, I've got bear issues to deal with.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
gerald strine

Re: Whoa! Slow down!

Post by gerald strine »

You are on a roll congratulations on your harvest.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
ODH

Post by ODH »

:eusa-clap: !
janesy

Post by janesy »

Awesome!

What's the details on the thermal detector?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Nice going :thumbup: now tell us about that bear story lol
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Get'em, congrats on your the tick toter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Nice!!! :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

You're having a great season. Success is satisfying in one way and just makes you anxious for more success in an another. It's only early October so you have plenty of time to make this season even better!
axiom
350 SE
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations on the second deer and a action packed season! You could alway add bears to your menu :mrgreen: I have bears coming through my hunting property about once a month which is why I can't use a feeder anymore or put good plie of corn down. :thumbdown:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Way to be on a roll!
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

Congrats and I love hearing details of the hunt!!
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats!! Sure is a big hole in the deer.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

That little one looks tasty....like veal
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.