Re: Help mounting a scope

Post by Forkston »

janesy wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:02 am
Forkston wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:28 am
Riflemanz wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:44 pm
I use my caldwell rifle rest to mount the scope. I just eyeball it and blue loc tite all screws.
finally someone with common sense, no need to get crazy just putting a scope on a crossbow like someone suggested removing the stock,
2 screws. Completely crazy. The OP asked how to level their scope. Not how to Eyeball it, I'm nearly positive they figured that part out in their own . Eyeball all you like that's your prerogative, that's just simple not what they asked for.

It's really not that difficult to follow good scope mounting practices, which in turn promotes only accurate results. But you do you pal, if it works for you or anyone else knock yourself out.
I'm not your pal
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Much anger in the World today. It's highly toxic and extremely contagious. I have suffered a bout of it recently myself. Protect yourself from it as best you can. Sunshine and time doing what you love will provide instant immunity against this fast spreading variant. If that doesn't work try helping someone or just telling them how much they mean to you.
Be kind today for a brighter tomorrow.
Hatchet
Normous

Post by Normous »

^^^Sunshine Blue Skys today.
Life is Great, Life is Grand!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Normous wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:47 pm
The above Norman just retired and is enjoying bluebird days. The other Norman (me) at the end of this month will be doing likewise.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Hi5 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:31 pm
Normous wrote:
The above Norman just retired and is enjoying bluebird days. The other Norman (me) at the end of this month will be doing likewise.
Cheers Norman!

Happy Retirement, you earned it. :thumbup:

Now, don't be wearing any "poopy diapers" on Halloween to celebrate :mrgreen:

**Hi5 and some of the older members will know the poopy diaper joke :thumbup:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hatchet wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:23 pm
Much anger in the World today. It's highly toxic and extremely contagious. I have suffered a bout of it recently myself. Protect yourself from it as best you can. Sunshine and time doing what you love will provide instant immunity against this fast spreading variant. If that doesn't work try helping someone or just telling them how much they mean to you.
Be kind today for a brighter tomorrow.
Hatchet
Well done!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

crossbownewb440 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:52 pm
Hello all, I'm getting around to setting up my crossbow now.

In all the vids and tutorials I've found, they suggest to use a gun vise to mount my scope. I don't have one of these, what other methods can I employ to do this correctly? I have a level & a flat table. I almost had it flat and level with the table I was using, unfortunately I never knew Excalibur imprinted their company name on the bottom of the handle.. It doesn't remain level, the slightest touch will knock it out of balance.

Does anyone have any nifty methods of doing this that won't require me to go out and spend $40-$60 on additional materials?
A plumb line and a level as Frisky mentioned, eliminates the guess work. Yes you can eyeball it if your range is short and especially if you only use the crosshairs and Kentucky windage. If you shoot to and past 60 yards at targets, you'll want to clamp your bow down and use a plumb line. I've been thinking about a relatively inexpensive way and you might want to try what we once did to get a driver fit into a Formula Ford. We would spray expanding foam into the seat, cover it with garbage bags and seat the driver until the foam set. So if your can spray foam into a shallow box, cover the foam with a garbage bag and set the bow in and level it, I think you'd have a precise, reusable set up.
If all you're ever going to do is shoot deer at 20 yards, jI don't see why you can't just eyeball it. Just practice at your hunting ranges to see if it is manageable. A scope level comes in handy if set up using a small level on the mainframe (not the riser). If the OP needs one I am all too happy to mail one to you. Just PM your info and I'll fire one off.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Hi5 wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:31 pm
Normous wrote:
It’s the club to be in! Congrats, good luck, and hope you enjoy a long, healthy retirement.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!